IGNORED

Nav V vs Nav VI

rickmoen

Hello to All,

I'm wondering if an upgrade from a Nav V to a Nav VI is really an upgrade. Anyone out there who has had both care to comment. I like the increased memory, but am not sure the other added features are worth it. I'm on a '14 R1200RT. Thanks in advance for any input.

I had a Nav V, and bought a Nav VI a few months ago. My main reason in buying the VI (aside from winter boredom) was its proclaimed ability to stream music (stored on the phone) to my Sena intercom. And, as you mentioned, it has more memory than the V, a bit better display and a few other features. Is it worth spending the sort of money they're asking to "upgrade"? Only you can answer that, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing anyone -- including myself -- that it's worth the extra money. Now, getting back to the main reason I used to rationalize buying the VI (music streaming), it has only worked on and off. It's a well-known issue, and Garmin claim they're working on a software fix to correct the problem, but so far, nothing.

One nice feature, which I don't know if the V had, is communication through your smartphone via the Garmin Link app to retrieve real-time weather and traffic information and display it on the GPS. It can also route around traffic based on this. Of course, if you don't ride in places where traffic is an issue, this may not be helpful. But being able to see the weather radar on the GPS may be.

P.S. One feature I'm disappointed in is the "twisty road" routing choice. There's a nice twisty route between my house and the local dealer, and I used it as a test. I had "twisty roads" selected, and the thing tried to route me via the freeway. It wasn't until I was a couple of miles down the twisty route that it finally agreed to send me that way.

One nice feature, which I don't know if the V had, is communication through your smartphone via the Garmin Link app to retrieve real-time weather and traffic information and display it on the GPS. It can also route around traffic based on this. Of course, if you don't ride in places where traffic is an issue, this may not be helpful. But being able to see the weather radar on the GPS may be.

The Nav V is able to access weather, and traffic, through the Garmin Smart Link App too.

The Nav V is able to access weather, and traffic, through the Garmin Smart Link App too.

I have the V, and paid $5 American for a weather and traffic app. The traffic shows traffic cameras, doesn't work well and I never use it. The weather app is handy. I was out once and it started raining. I called up the weather, it overlayed the green rain clouds, and I could see I was about to drive right through a giant system if I stayed on the direction I had planned. So I rerouted west, and avoided the rain. Right there worth the 5 bucks.

One problem is the alerts. I keep getting notices that there is a 'small craft advisory' even when I'm 50 miles from any body of water! Traffic alerts also that are meaningless. I've tried everything to turn them off to no avail. It's especially annoying since there is a loud tone in my helmet, and it interrupts the music during the alerts. If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.