IGNORED

R1150RT small springs in the mirror.

danevans

I have lost the tiny split springs that pinch the fingers in my right side mirror. They are not available from BMW. Anybody want to sell me a couple or give me a lead on finding some? Many Thanks!

I had the same problem. I solved it by twisting a couple strands of 16 ga. wire and wrapping it around the spring fingers, just tight enough that the wire would not come off. Then when installing, rub the spring fingers with wax. So far, so good.

szurszewski
I had the same problem. I solved it by twisting a couple strands of 16 ga. wire and wrapping it around the spring fingers, just tight enough that the wire would not come off. Then when installing, rub the spring fingers with wax. So far, so good.

I did the same - seemed to work fine.

I have a related, but different problem: one of the four "petals" on the receiver snapped off from fatigue. As far as I can see, this part is not available separately from the entire mirror base assembly. Fortunately, the mirror stays on quite well, despite the damage.

I ended up cutting a coil from a small door spring. I then took off the other two springs and tightened them up a little, then pushed in the "fingers" a little as well. I wrapped a small amount of Teflon tape around the groove of the stud. Tomorrow I will attach some baling twine (easy to find in Kansas) for the purpose of not losing the mirror if it does come off. Thanks for all of your replies and ideas!

• Plus 1 1

I see fuel lines on old dirt bikes that have that type of spring. Some small engine fuel lines too. Should be able to scrounge one up. If not my CTX 1300 uses a similar mirror clip(four petal with wire spring around it), Honda Part number 88115-MT3-000 for 4.10 each. I used some stranded steel wire with nice crimped loops to insure the mirrors stay close to my bike. Most people around here have a knife that cuts baling twine a bit too easily. Mike

I see fuel lines on old dirt bikes that have that type of spring. Some small engine fuel lines too. Should be able to scrounge one up. If not my CTX 1300 uses a similar mirror clip(four petal with wire spring around it), Honda Part number 88115-MT3-000 for 4.10 each. I used some stranded steel wire with nice crimped loops to insure the mirrors stay close to my bike. Most people around here have a knife that cuts baling twine a bit too easily. Mike
I must be missing something. People would cut your tether lines? for what purpose?

I use long zip ties as tethers. The goal is to keep from losing the mirror assembly if it comes off while riding. I suppose something more substantial would help prevent someone from stealing the mirrors but that's not a big concern for me.

Tethers are cheap insurance with mirrors becoming hard to find. Steel cables give me peace of mind. I tether the helmets too if I can't see the bike. I watched a guy who lost his boat trailer at the lake one day. I thought I really don't want to be that guy. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, $4.10 from Honda Parts House plus shipping vs. $12.15 w/free shipping from ebay vendor. Surely one could order from your local Honda dealer and have them shipped for free to the shop. If my gerry-rig wiring fails, I'll try the Honda ones.

I took a close look at my mirror on the RT and the connector has six petals with a wire around it. The honda has four petals and a rolled edge. The RT's use a rivet and the honda a screw. The male pins are slightly different with the engagement point a bit farther out to accommodate the screw head on the honda part. It won't be a perfect match but it should be workable. Mike

Last time I looked at a parts fische, the plastic insert in the mirror housing, to which the petals and tension wire are attached, could be purchased from BMW for $67 plus shipping. Probably a non-stocked dealer item but available.

Last time I looked at a parts fische, the plastic insert in the mirror housing, to which the petals and tension wire are attached, could be purchased from BMW for $67 plus shipping. Probably a non-stocked dealer item but available.

That is available in the prats fiche at Max BMW

46 63 2 352 121 BASE PLATE LEFT $68.69

46 63 2 352 122 BASE PLATE RIGHT $68.69

That is available in the prats fiche at Max BMW

46 63 2 352 121 BASE PLATE LEFT $68.69

46 63 2 352 122 BASE PLATE RIGHT $68.69

When a deer stuck his head in the path of my RT mirror, I replaced the base plate, adjuster and mirror. And I also replaced the carrier plate with the matching pins that the mirror clips onto.

46 63 2 313 800 CARRIER PLATE, RIGHT $26.69

• 2 years later...

(Following up this ancient thread in case it's helpful to someone else who finds it like I did by searching)

I too lost one of those little split-ring springs when it ran away to hide on the floor beneath a shelf in my garage.

While looking for a replacement my best stopgap was a bread wrapper twist closure wire. But since the wire's not elastic the resulting finger-basket had a fixed diameter. It held by friction along the sides of the post head, not by gripping the post head from behind.

I measured the remaining spring-rings at ID=10.5mm=0.413", between 13/32" and 7/16".

I shopped the options suggested here. At McMaster-Carr I considered their 91650A350 (Heavy Duty Spiral External Retaining Rings) and at Grainger I considered their 5EB58 / WSM-43-S02 (External Spiral Retaining Ring). I visited local hardware stores where I found nothing similar, but in their nearby drawers I spotted...

O-Rings!

Not being sure which would work best, I bracketed the exposure by purchasing candidates in an array of sizes.

Retail O-Ring nomenclature includes three dimensions: inside diameter, outside diameter, and rubber thickness. Three is redundant because you can always derive the missing dimension given the other two (OD = ID + 2*Thickness). I only needed ID (how close it would squeeze the fingers together when the mirror is off and the spring/rubber is relaxed) and Thickness (how tightly it would grip behind the post head when the mirror is on).

I got samples of metric

ID=8mm 9mm 10mm

Th=1.5mm x   x   x

Th=2.5mm x   x   x

and imperial

ID=1/4" 5/16"

Th=1/16" x    x

Th=3/32" x    x

Th=1/8"  x    x

After test-fitting several I decided on 9/16 x 5/16 x 1/8, available in my nearby hardware store as the Hillman 780014. The mirror housing pops on and off easily, the grip is snug, the housing is stable, and the image in the mirror is as clear as it has ever been. You might find another size fits your bike's mirror baskets better. I wish I had thought of this for my K100RS, with a similar mirror housing mounting mechanism though the posts, baskets, and spring rings were a different size.

These O-Rings are made of Nitrile (Buna-N) rubber and sold for plumbing applications, so they should be weatherproof. My only concern compared to the original steel spring-ring: This Nitrile material normally serves under constant compression, so I don't know how long to expect it to last in this application under varying tension.

Brilliant! So you didn't try the springs at Grainger or McMaster then? 

I'd check the o-rings a few times through the year. Please keep us informed and let us know how they are holding up. 

Best

Miguel

Morning ____

Over the years I have repaired a few of those missing/broken garter springs on the mirror post clips.

"O" rings do work (I usually use 2)  but over time ozone & heat degrade them to the point of poor retention. Probably be OK if the "O" rings are replaced at every mirror removal.  

Best I have found (so far)  is to find an old tension or compression spring with approximate wire size & close ID size then use a Dremel to cut 1 coil out of the spring. If the spring wire diameter  is slightly smaller then I clip 1-1/2 coils out of host spring. 

YHgb53m.jpg