IGNORED

R1100RS front fairing removal question

Bubbadozer

My R1200RS has a owie on the LH blinker that needs to be replaced. I haven't been able to find a schematic on removal of front fairing assembly.

i am wondering what all needs to be removed in the process. I think all I need to replace is blinker lens and mount and a small crack in plastic, then probably a trip to paint shop for front fairing to restore bike to pristine looking condition.

Edited by Bubbadozer

Hi Bubbadozer. Not sure what you mean by an 'owie'.

However, you are posting this in the wrong forum. You should re-post it in the releveant Hexhead/camhead/wethead forum.

Hopefully an Admin will remove this from the Oilhead forum...unless you can.

Bubba has several other posts in this forum concerning his 1996 R1100RS. The subject line of this post says 1100, so I guess he hit the wrong key when he typed his question. I'm riding an 1100RT so I can't answer his question.

I posted in oilhead forum, because that is what I have I thought. 96 R1100RS. I thought hexheads' were the 1200's, but then again I'm a newb.

Edited by Bubbadozer

Thanks Sam, but I already had that schematic. I can tell from looking at it, that there is a lot more involved to get that front fairing off. Such as (I think) headlight assy, Inst cluster, etc, but I was hoping for a schematic.

Thanks for responding. I'm confused about the posting in the wrong location thing though. I dont want to be annoying, just trying to learn about the BMW I recently purchased.

Cheers

Edited by Bubbadozer

My BAD! I need to proof read I guess before I post, clearly... I accidentally typed 1200 instead of 1100.

From the factory manual..

• Remove windshield.

• Remove side sections of fairing.

• Remove inner fairing panel.

• Unscrew and remove windshield adjusting shaft.

• Detach instrument cluster.

• Detach plug connections for flashing turn

indicators.

• Detach top section of fairing.

• Remove headlight.

• Remove bracket for windshield.

• Remove fairing.

• Install in the reverse order of work.

Ron,

Thanks so much. I ended up buying a digital copy of the complete service manual and I think I'm set. Only other thing I have to do is either pay $400 to have the Ohlins reconditioned that are leaking or find some OEM that are still serviceable, and I will have a reliable bike.

Edited by Bubbadozer