IGNORED

Bike DNA...

hopz

Just an FYI... and this is not advertising.

I have my bike insurance through AARP... which means Farmer's.

The other day, unsolicited, I received a small package in the mail that had interesting stuff enclosed. It was a package and instructions on using their "Bike DNA" material(s).

Enclosed were three small Stickers... Two say "Stop Thief", and another is a small bar-code. The important part was a small tube/with enclosed brush of a milky-white semi liquid substance. Instructions said to shake it up and apply this material to a clean and smooth surface like a wheel, or headstock etc.

The liquid, it says, is specifically mixed with minute particles that glow under a certain kind of light- used by police authorities to locate stolen bikes. They claim the mix for my bike is custom matched to my serial number.

When dry the infrared patch is invisible. I know where I applied the stuff (several locations) and apparently the authorities know how to scan for it and have the tools. If they scan the bike it will glow.... they say and that can be matched to my bike.

So- has anyone else ever even heard of this, and are the authorities actually able to do that? I have not yet contacted the authorities here to confirm or deny any of this but the stickers are nice... applied under the seat.

Anyone else?

Edited by hopz

Morning Hopz

They have been using similar data dots & paint on bicycles for a while now. I think the idea is to have enough dots (or paint) all over the vehicle that a thief can't easily remove ALL the identification from the vehicle.

I guess the good is, you might get all or some of your motorcycle back.

The bad is, who would want their stolen bike or parts back?

Personally, if my motorcycle gets stolen & trashed then I would prefer that it stays gone forever as I don't want it back with re-painted panels & half-ass insurence repairs.

szurszewski

Sounds kind of fascinating - I mean the part where the specific mix of the substance being applied can be matched so specifically. I'll have to google a bit and see what I can find about that.

On the recovery front, I agree with DR - stolen bike or stolen car I'd rather not get it back. My wife used to have a Vespa we got as a theft recovery, and for the deal we got it was great, but if we'd bought it new and got it back from a theft repaired the way it was when we bought it - well, let's just say while it rode well it was far from being a "new" scooter.

tallman... I can feel your pain and help with your problem.

The solution is pretty simple. Send me all your money and I will return it when you need it.

Just an FYI... and this is not advertising.

I have my bike insurance through AARP... which means Farmer's.

The other day, unsolicited, I received a small package in the mail that had interesting stuff enclosed. It was a package and instructions on using their "Bike DNA" material(s).

Enclosed were three small Stickers... Two say "Stop Thief", and another is a small bar-code. The important part was a small tube/with enclosed brush of a milky-white semi liquid substance. Instructions said to shake it up and apply this material to a clean and smooth surface like a wheel, or headstock etc.

The liquid, it says, is specifically mixed with minute particles that glow under a certain kind of light- used by police authorities to locate stolen bikes. They claim the mix for my bike is custom matched to my serial number.

When dry the infrared patch is invisible. I know where I applied the stuff (several locations) and apparently the authorities know how to scan for it and have the tools. If they scan the bike it will glow.... they say and that can be matched to my bike.

So- has anyone else ever even heard of this, and are the authorities actually able to do that? I have not yet contacted the authorities here to confirm or deny any of this but the stickers are nice... applied under the seat.

Anyone else?

Over here all new BMWs come with "SmartWater" already applied by BMW (or the Dealership?), same thing really. I reckon that every deterrent is good no matter how small. I think the aim is not so much to be able to reunite the owner with their bike after it has been stolen but rather to be able to prove that all or most of the stock that is found at some person's house is stolen in order to gain a conviction / act as a deterrent.

Personally, if my motorcycle gets stolen & trashed then I would prefer that it stays gone forever as I don't want it back with re-painted panels & half-ass insurence repairs.

I agree. If my car or motorcycle is stolen, I don't ever want to see it again.

Years back, a guy I used to work for owned a near new, late 90's Mercedes CL500. Beautiful car. Some punks stole it out of his garage (he left the plastic key in the glove box :dopeslap: ). A few days later the police were trying to pull the car over which lead to a chase in the nearby forest preserve. The car went off the road and the thieves wedged it between two trees. They climbed out the sun roof and ran. 35K in damage and two months to fix it.

No thanks. Chop it up, or put it on a cargo ship.