IGNORED

Replacing the heated grips

temesvar

Am sure that heated grips come in "hand"y for those that ride in extreme cold conditions. Since am not one of those,

I would like to get rid of them. First of all, I just don't like the larger diameter of the grips, more yet I have a set of grip

puppies on them as well. I prefer the feeling of a standard grip.

Has anyone replaced the factory heated grips and if there was any, what surprises has he encountered?

And one more question: anybody finds these heated grips necessary??

You live in Ontario and don't need heated grips?

I ride yr. round, down to about 28*, grips are needed even with heated gloves.

Am sure that heated grips come in "hand"y for those that ride in extreme cold conditions. Since am not one of those,

I would like to get rid of them. First of all, I just don't like the larger diameter of the grips, more yet I have a set of grip

puppies on them as well. I prefer the feeling of a standard grip.

Has anyone replaced the factory heated grips and if there was any, what surprises has he encountered?

And one more question: anybody finds these heated grips necessary??

Morning temesvar

I seldom use heated grips either as they only warm the palms & in cold weather & my palms are fine it's the backs of may hands that get cold. (only time I use them is in warm weather & it's raining hard)

As for removing them?-- the grips on the hexhead bikes are not that large & the heating membranes are pretty thin so I'm not sure that you will gain much. You will still have the plastic tubes underneath that the grips must go on over so it's not like you can put the new grips right on the bar metal.

You can just peel back/cut the old rubbers off then install new aftermarket rubbers (it uses two R/H side grips)

If you don't care about the heating elements then you don't even have to be careful cutting the old grip rubbers off (just slice & open them up then peel them off)-- this will probably ruin the thin heating elements though.

Why not just remove the grip puppies to start with to see if you like that.

Thanks again, D.R. (dirt rider, not doctor!! ;))

My target is to install a nice set of Rizoma grips.

I like, and I am used to, the standard thickness of a

handle. It takes some getting used to when changing bikes!

The grip puppies are well worn in. When they where new was

going to cut them off the very next day!! Just postponed it until I got used to!

Will see during the winter break what can be done.

You live in Ontario and don't need heated grips?

I ride yr. round, down to about 28*, grips are needed even with heated gloves.

Hi Mark!

I live in Ontario, yet south of Detroit! Winters are not as harsh as they used to!

And I ride for pleasure, not as necessity! So I ride when I feel like.

I love riding in cold weather! Dressed properly, is much more fun than riding

when is hot! I never have a problem with the palm of my hands, only place am cold

are the tips of my fingers and my knees! That is where I like to have some heat!