IGNORED

First time experiencing r1100rt abs

Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand

I just did my first emergency braking a few weeks ago, and was quite surprise how the bike responded. There was some loose stuff on the pavement. I was expecting rapid pulsation like in car abs, but instead it was like two big clunk, when the wheel unlock. Maybe the wheel had enough grip not to necessitate the rapid pulsation but I was quite surprise. I know this is the first year of the abs, but it is something! Is this normal? I will try again in a safe space, but I must admit that i'm a bit nervous specially for the front break, it is so easy to wipe out if the wheel really lock. Any tips or suggestions?

Rob

I can't tell you if your brake action is normal for your R1100RT but on my 91 K100LT the ABS is not what I would call a rapid pulsing of the wheel. It's been so long since I have hit the brakes hard enough to remember if the pedal also pulses. FYI, the R1100RT was not the first year for ABS. ABS has been around on BMW bikes since the mid 80's.

I just did my first emergency braking a few weeks ago, and was quite surprise how the bike responded. There was some loose stuff on the pavement. I was expecting rapid pulsation like in car abs, but instead it was like two big clunk, when the wheel unlock. Maybe the wheel had enough grip not to necessitate the rapid pulsation but I was quite surprise. I know this is the first year of the abs, but it is something! Is this normal? I will try again in a safe space, but I must admit that i'm a bit nervous specially for the front break, it is so easy to wipe out if the wheel really lock. Any tips or suggestions?

Rob

Evening Rob

That old ABS-2 system has a pretty slow response rate (one reason BMW went to the servo I-ABS system). It is an antique piston system so it couldn't go fast even if it wanted to.

Wait until you come blasting up to a stop light & find rough pavement or loose gravel. Your heart will skip beat as the rear brake releases then takes forever to re-engage. You will swear that you lost your brakes.

Robert Mayrand
Wait until you come blasting up to a stop light & find rough pavement or loose gravel. Your heart will skip beat as the rear brake releases then takes forever to re-engage. You will swear that you lost your brakes.

Is it really that bad? Now you're scaring me even more, and at another level, on day to day use! I hope that it only happen where without abs it would be even impossible to stop in time or you would wipe out! Anyone, care to comment for reassurance.....please!!!

Rob

Yes, here's a constructive comment.

Find a big empty car park (I believe you call them Parking Lots).

Go practice harder and harder braking.

Continue until the ABS cuts in.

You will be amazed at how far you have to push it before the ABS needs to step in.

Is it really that bad? Now you're scaring me even more, and at another level, on day to day use! I hope that it only happen where without abs it would be even impossible to stop in time or you would wipe out! Anyone, care to comment for reassurance.....please!!!

Rob

Morning Rob

You REALLY need to have this happen BEFORE it happens in real riding.

You need to do what Andy posted BUT you need to do it on a road,or parking lot, with very rough pavement or some sand/gravel on the pavement.

Some early 1100 ABS bikes were really bad- It isn't the end of the world but can sure feel like it when it happens.

What is really happening is the ABS system has some built in controls, one of those controls is an anti-rear-wheel-lift algorithm that prevents severe rear wheel lift (stoppies) under hard braking.

Stopping hard on a rough surface road, or, with gravel on the road, & using a lot of rear brake pedal allows the rear brake to lock-up. The ABS then kicks in & releases the rear brake pressure-- BUT!-- the rear wheel is skipping across a rough surface & lifting as bike weight is transferred forward so the rear wheel doesn't spin back up quickly.

So the (slow) ABS system thinks the rear wheel is lifting so THEN also unlocks the front brake to bring the rear wheel down (this all happens real fast but the bike will jump forward a short ways when this happens scaring the crap out of you.

Eckhard Grohe

I went clear through a stop here in town because of rough pavement. The brakes just disappeared. Something you have to plan for.

My '99 R1100R and I have done the parking lot/ brake practice, but I don't think the ABS has activated. Which system does my bike have? The scare the "S" out of you version?

So far I think my bike has great brakes. No nose dive is a revelation from a control POV.

I lived & drove in snow country and never liked the increased stopping distance by product of ABS in autos/trucks. Some obstacles you can't steer around, you just need to stop quickly.

What am I missing with my 1999 ? Do I need to find a sandy road?

Dave

My '99 R1100R and I have done the parking lot/ brake practice, but I don't think the ABS has activated. Which system does my bike have? The scare the "S" out of you version?

So far I think my bike has great brakes. No nose dive is a revelation from a control POV.

I lived & drove in snow country and never liked the increased stopping distance by product of ABS in autos/trucks. Some obstacles you can't steer around, you just need to stop quickly.

What am I missing with my 1999 ? Do I need to find a sandy road?

Dave

Afternoon Dave

Your 99 1100 has the - The scare the "S" out of you version-. You just aren't riding it hard enough on rough enough roads.

You REALLY should go find a road with chatter bumps then stop very hard using a lot of front & rear brake. You really don't want the first time that it happens to be in traffic do you?

TG R1150RT

My 2004 RT1150RT has the same issue ? Is there a strategy to handle and exercise proper precaution ?

Thanks!

My 2004 RT1150RT has the same issue ? Is there a strategy to handle and exercise proper precaution ?

Afternoon TG R1150RT

Your 2004 1150RT has a completely different ABS braking system (I-ABS). It should be a LOT better than the 1100 system we are talking about here.

Your 1150RT I-ABS system will probably work a lot better in heavy braking conditions if you ONLY use your front brake lever & little to no rear brake pedal.

By using only the front brake lever that allows the ABS computer to better control the front/rear braking bias then apply just the right amount of front to rear braking pressure.

DR, I'll go do that, thanks for the advice.

So no late braking into the stutter bumps unless there's a big berm to bounce it off of? Just when I was thinking skid plate...

This system wasn't on early GS's was it?

Do some owners remove the ABS on this r1100r model?

Lastly, I use a lot of front brake. Is the abs a valuable system given my tendencies?

Thanks

Michaelr11

In spite.of what you hear online, consider the alternative.

Without ABS, if you brake hard, especially if you don't use the rear brake much, then the front wheel locks up and your front end washes out and you go down.

With ABS, your ABS 2 system engages and it feels like your front wheel is continuing to roll. It's really braking and releasing but your mind expects continuous braking so it feels like you're rolling freely. Meanwhile you stay upright and have steering control of the bike.

Yes, you might roll a little further than you would if you applied the brakes perfectly. Are you going to brake perfectly in all braking situations? I can't say that I would.

I will keep my ABS system, and if it fails I will either replace it or send it out for repair.

I practiced hard stops on what became my new '99RT when I test rode it because before that I had never ridden an ABS equipped bike. The ABS on that vintage bike may not be perfect but still better than no ABS. I typically rode that machine with the idea that setting off the ABS was a fail on my part to manage the situation.

That said I had one experience where the roads were slickened from a light drizzle lifting all the crap off the road after a drought and was very glad to have this imperfect ABS system. The flow of traffic had me going faster than I would if all by myself and I approached a stale green, it went red with a jerk tailgating me. I had be sure the car behind me was braking and that caused me to late brake knowing the ABS was going to have to do its job...it did and I was relieved to stop going straight, no fuss, no muss. From then on I decided I will always own an ABS equipped bike over a non ABS bike.

• 2 weeks later...
Robert Mayrand

Follow up on this issuefrom the original poster.

I finally had to use the abs in a real emergency situation.A black Corvette with tinted brake light cover (illegal here) brake in front of me. The braking light were nearly invisible in bright daylight! So had to brake fron 80 mph in a really short distance in a gentle curve and the abs performed flawlessly! I'm sure I would have slide out in oncomming traffic without them or rear ended that stealth braking corvette. The pulsation were most faster then in my previous testing. I was also glad that i just replace my rubber hose with braided stainless two days before...'98 rubber...who knows what could have happen!

I'm reconcile with my brakin gsystem! ABS on!

Rob

Edited by Robert Mayrand

Afternoon TG R1150RT

Your 2004 1150RT has a completely different ABS braking system (I-ABS). It should be a LOT better than the 1100 system we are talking about here.

Your 1150RT I-ABS system will probably work a lot better in heavy braking conditions if you ONLY use your front brake lever & little to no rear brake pedal.

By using only the front brake lever that allows the ABS computer to better control the front/rear braking bias then apply just the right amount of front to rear braking pressure.

I concur with D.R.

On my '04 RT, I use the front brake only when approaching stop lights/signs, where the road is rough. I can attest that the braking is much more consistent and engaged. If using the pedal, it's very easy for the brakes to lose engagement.

RPG