IGNORED

A new BMW owner full of questions... so many wuestions

Bubbadozer

Bubbadozer

I know I have been posting quite a few questions.. with that said☺️, I need a good product that will take the blue discoloration off of my exhaust muffler. I haven't been able to remove with the little amount I had left of the product I had called"Blue Job."

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Single wall headers will blue, so removing it is a loosing battle. Learn to luv the old school look that was a given before the Japanese bikes changed expectation NA in the 60s/70s with dual wall headers.

I know I have been posting quite a few questions.. with that said☺️, I need a good product that will take the blue discoloration off of my exhaust muffler. I haven't been able to remove with the little amount I had left of the product I had called"Blue Job."

Any suggestions??

Morning Bubbadozer

Are you talking about the actual muffler or the front header pipes?

The muffler itself is a 300 series stainless steel so most bluing removers will work on that.

The front header pipes & cat. are a 400 series stainless steel so those don't actually blue but instead turn brown.

If the browning is what you are trying to remove then that can be very difficult to remove without removing the pipes & hitting them with a power buffing wheel & compound. (even then the browning will probably return)

If just some little brown areas then a product like (Wizards metal polish for motorcycles) will remove light browning (looks like a band aid can with pink wool in it) but it isn't cheap & is a lot of work. (plus the browning will eventually return)

Most older BMW 1100/1150 bikes (that are ridden) have brown header pipes.

Morning Bubbadozer

Are you talking about the actual muffler or the front header pipes?

I use Solvol Autosol which is OK but as DR inferred it is an uphill struggle if you are talking about the headers.

sardineone

As others have documented getting rid of discoloration with the single wall pipes not likely for any appreciable amount of time. But that color can be on the shiny side with a bit of periodic maintenance. Here's mine. Once buffed to a shine just needs a bit of touch up every once in awhile.

DSC03034Sm.JPG

Edited by sardineone
Bubbadozer

Yes, I'm actually talking about the muffler, not the headers

Edited by Bubbadozer

Is that an aftermarket Silencer? The OEM ones don't normally do that.

However, Solvol Autosol should bring that off.

Bubbadozer

Yep, it's the factory can.. I was wondering that too, as all the mufflers I have seen on these do not discolor either.