IGNORED

R1100rs front brake rotor rattle

Bubbadozer

Bubbadozer

My 96 r1100rs front brake rotors both rattle and move. I'm assuming that the bushings with theC clips are worn out or something. When I Hoover bumps it rattles. The brakes are functioning fine as is the ABS.

Am I correct in my assumption that the bushubgs are worn out, and if so, are they replaceable?

Thanks for any assistance,

Scott

See http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680

Diagram 34_0660 - FRONT WHEEL BRAKE

Item 2 BMW part # 34112310995 ROLLER WITH SNAP RING @ $8.29

Item 3 BMW part # 34112310088 6 off WASHER @ $2.00

Item 4 BMW part # 34112310089 LOCK RING @ $2.92

I believe our own Dan Cata sells these too at a much more attractive price:

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3821625

Michaelr11

+1 for the Dan Cata kit. You didn't mention how many miles you've got on that '96 R1100RS. Depending on the miles, it is possible that in addition to the worn bobbins, your rotors are below minimum thickness. Just saying that you might be replacing the bobbins and then still have rotors that need replacing.

Michaelr11
Do you happen to know what the minimum thickness is for the rotors? Mine is 4.85 mm

At 4.85 you are fine.

Original rotors were 5.0 mm and minimum thickness is 4.5 mm.

My RT has 166K miles and the front rotors are at 4.35 mm. I used the Dan Cata kit a while back but now I'm replacing the rotors.

Bubbadozer

I'm at almost 88k miles. Awesome guys, thx!! I will get the bushings and be good to go.

Edited by Bubbadozer
  • 2 weeks later...

So is it dangerous if these bushings are loose? I have a 99 w/65K on it and my front disk rattles if I manually wobble it, but have not observed any noise while in motion.

So is it dangerous if these bushings are loose? I have a 99 w/65K on it and my front disk rattles if I manually wobble it, but have not observed any noise while in motion.

If you grab the rotor and move it in/out towards the wheel and away from the wheel, you will feel movement and might hear a rattle. This movement - on the axis of the axle - is normal. That is the "float"of a floating rotor. If there is rattle and movement radially, moving the rotor along the rotation of the wheel, that is from wear to the bushings. If the wear is so great that the bushings are loose enough to fall out, then it's dangerous. Otherwise it is mostly annoying.