IGNORED

Anyone have a good diagram of tank plumbing?

Claudio

I am preparing for a trip in August and am doing some proactive maintenance on my 2003 R1150RT. Among my proactive work is some fuel line work. My internal tank fuel lines are original and rather than wait for them to cause a problem, I am going to replace them (much easier in my shop than on the road).

I've obtained the proper fuel lines to replace the internals of my tank which I will do at the same time I replace the fuel filter and some of the gaskets on the tank itself.

I've had it apart before but never went beyond the fuel pump assembly. As I'll be replacing the internal lines, I wanted to get a birds eye view of the plumbing. The parts diagrams/fiche don't show a good illustration of how the plumbing is all connected.

Anyone have a good illustration of the internal line connections?

Claudio, having done this job last year, take plenty of digital photos, and attached colored tape to the various lines. It's very easy to get mixed up on what goes where, with a bad outcome. This is a job that you don't want to do twice. For what it's worth, the lines inside the tank of my 1999 RT looked pretty good at 120,000 miles, but better safe than sorry.

Edited by Selden
Awesome. Thanks so much.

Afternoon Claudio

Before removing the pump pass through either mark it or look at this picture below for re-installation proper clocking.

nYjBPue.jpg

Shiny Side Up
Claudio, having done this job last year, take plenty of digital photos, and attached colored tape to the various lines. It's very easy to get mixed up on what goes where, with a bad outcome. This is a job that you don't want to do twice. For what it's worth, the lines inside the tank of my 1999 RT looked pretty good at 120,000 miles, but better safe than sorry.

This is good advice. Did the job over last winter taking pictures and labeling. Piece of cake - IF you don't count getting the pump, float, etc all back into the tank.

As I'll be replacing the internal lines, I wanted to get a birds eye view of the plumbing. The parts diagrams/fiche don't show a good illustration of how the plumbing is all connected.

Morning Claudio

Another suggestion is to tie a long string on each internal hose before pulling the old one out. Then tie the string to the new hose to pull it back through (lot easier than trying to feed the new hose in)

Also, be very careful when re-installing the pump pass through so a wire or hose doesn't foul the low fuel light float & prevent full travel.

The low fuel float's can have a tendency to degrade or crumble so be careful of the float, plus carefully inspect it for signs of degradation.