IGNORED

ZERO

ESokoloff

That's the manufacture of my new (to me) motorcycle as well as the number of times I've been to a gas station since picking it two days short of six weeks ago.

In that time span I've managed to put 1.8k (miles) on it.

It's a 2016 Zero DSR IMG_2581_zps9v7nj0ck.jpg

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/2016/specs.php?model=dsr

I was fortunate enough to find this lovingly used one for a fair price.

These days the lions share of my miles are commuting to/from work.

My 2003 RT is getting long in the tooth @ 140+k.

It still has plenty of miles left, but has reached the age of substantial upkeep in order to insure reliability.

This will require down time that wasn't possible so another vehicle was necessary.

I did a lot of research & soul searching & decided to jump into an EV.

At just over 400# with 67hp/106'# torque, it's not a toy.

In 2016, Zero went with Showa suspension & Bosch ABS.

The factory is here in California (Scotts Valley) & I'm about 35 miles from Hollywood Electrics which is one of, if not The top Zero dealers.

It's nice to help suport the local economies.

I'm about 26 miles from work (shortest path) so I have plenty of range & work lets me plug in so that will help offset the elevated (comparatively) initial cost of ownership of an EV.

So far it's working out well but it's Simmer (Summer) time here in SoCal.

With no heat from an ICE (internal combustion motor) it makes hot days much more bearable in my Stich.

Winter time will be a different story.

It has a nice low screen that hopefully will suffice.

I've installed hand guard & drop bars that I will fasten material to in order to block the wind to my legs.

I will also install heated grips.

The battery is 110v and the 12v to run accessories is very limited (especially compared to a BMW).

I will be upgrading the halogen headlight to LED, thus freeing up some electrons for some amber fog lights as well as additional LED running light front & rear.

The stock horn is pathetic so an air horn is a must.

Still looking for a suitable tank bag but for now the stock storage compartment will make do (think BMW's F650CS).

I'm really enjoying it & looking forward to near zero maintenance & operating costs (once the farkling is under control).

One of the local departments has a couple that they use as dual sports.

They have had several break the drive belt due to rock/stick getting trapped between the belt and the rear cog.

Rumored is a chain drive kit but I know very little more than that about its existence .

You can get a Gates "clicker" belt tension guages off Amazon very reasonably.

Those have proven to be very good machines.

AnotherLee

Eric -

Do you know how many amps it draws when charging at 110 volts?

My garage has 10 amp breakers. It's in an apartment complex so I can't likely change that.

We have a local Zero dealer who absolutely insists that every rider who comes through the door ride a Zero. It was very impressive I must say. No noise was a little disconcerting at first but quickly became a non issue. The instant torque is amazing. It is the future, good luck and enjoy!

Medic Mike

I have been looking heavily into these, the price tag is what stops me. I really want something for commuting to work and the reviews I have read have been good. Hopefully as time progresses and other manufacturers jump into the fray the costs will start to go down.

Mike

I'm a huge fan. Once charging is more readily available, I'll have one for commuting (no way to make it at current distance and no charging at work).

Eric - I vaguely recall them offering varying levels of Battery or ability to add multiple battery packs - have you looked into that? with work allowing you to charge, might be something to dig into.

Electric Terry, a consultant to Zero and the new CEO (name escaping me) have both been guests on the Motorcycles & Misfits podcast. The M&M crew can be irreverent (to the point of offensive if your conservative), but the content can be very interesting. They've had lots of folks on. Norman Reedus, BrakeFree Tech, Craig Vedder and others.

Scott

Best of luck with it Eric. I think it's a wonderful path to go down. :thumbsup:

Thanks Marty :wave:

One of the local departments has a couple that they use as dual sports.

They have had several break the drive belt due to rock/stick getting trapped between the belt and the rear cog.

Rumored is a chain drive kit but I know very little more than that about its existence .

You can get a Gates "clicker" belt tension guages off Amazon very reasonably.

Those have proven to be very good machines.

Already got "the clicker" as well as the Gates app.

The belt kinda concerns me.

I work in the HVAC world and I've seen motors substancualy smaller then 67 HP running on multiple large/thick belts.

I hope the tiny belt holds up.

The 2017 model got a larger belt.

I'm not planing on doing much off-roading so will stick with the belt but should eventually carry a spare as well as tools to change it on the road I f necessary.

At one point, someone was offering an emergency belt that you pre-installed (zip-tied up out of the way).

When the primary belt failed you cut the zip-tie & installed the emergency belt. You still had to remove the rear wheel but not have to deal with the swing arm.

I've not taking the time to check the amp draw with a meter but there is an app that shows conditions including charging.

The amperage jumps around quite a bit with the lowest reading @ 8A & the highest @ 15.

I don't know for a fact but my guess is a min. dedicated cuircuit would be 15A.

Electric Motorcycle forum would be a good place to ask about a possible work around.

We have a local Zero dealer who absolutely insists that every rider who comes through the door ride a Zero. It was very impressive I must say. No noise was a little disconcerting at first but quickly became a non issue. The instant torque is amazing. It is the future, good luck and enjoy!

That's just it..... it's the future, not the present, but at my age I don't have time to wait for perfection.

Zero has been around for almost a dozen years so I feel(hope) they know what their doing in order to insure longevity of their products.

Time & miles will tell.

I have been looking heavily into these, the price tag is what stops me. I really want something for commuting to work and the reviews I have read have been good. Hopefully as time progresses and other manufacturers jump into the fray the costs will start to go down.

Mike

The price of admission held me back as well.

I kept my eye out for a used one (via searchtempest.com & got lucky.

The seller had a medical condition that forced him to part with the bike & he was local.

It had several accessorys that were desirable for me & I got at least 20% off.

I'm a huge fan. Once charging is more readily available, I'll have one for commuting (no way to make it at current distance and no charging at work).

Eric - I vaguely recall them offering varying levels of Battery or ability to add multiple battery packs - have you looked into that? with work allowing you to charge, might be something to dig into.

Electric Terry, a consultant to Zero and the new CEO (name escaping me) have both been guests on the Motorcycles & Misfits podcast. The M&M crew can be irreverent (to the point of offensive if your conservative), but the content can be very interesting. They've had lots of folks on. Norman Reedus, BrakeFree Tech, Craig Vedder and others.

Scott

In 2016 for the duel sport model you had several capacity as well as motor options.

The basic lower powered model (DS) came with 9.8 kWh or 13 kWh.

An additional power tank option brought the 13kWh up to 15.9 kWh (not sure if the power tank is compatible with the 9.8 kWh).

The DSR has the more powerful motor as well as the 13 kWh battery & the power tank option bring the total kWh up to 15.9.

For now the 13 kWh is meeting my needs......

But there was this one ride :dopeslap:

Got home Ok but JUST.

I'm hoping I get to see/enjoy the day when super capacitors will make topping up (on electrons) a 5 min. procedure instead of 8 hours.

• 4 weeks later...
Eric -

Do you know how many amps it draws when charging at 110 volts?

My garage has 10 amp breakers. It's in an apartment complex so I can't likely change that.

Lee, some possible work-arounds here.

• 1 month later...

So it's been 4 months & 5 thousands miles & 1 tire change since acquiring my Zero DSR.

In that time frame I've had to go to a gas station to fill up our truck & two containers for the garden equipment.

The bike had about 2.8k when I picked it up & now is closing in on 8k.

The front brake pads are almost done & the belt is showing signs of wear but that's to be expected considering what I've put it through zipping OVER the Santa Monica Mountains frequently on my afternoon commute (morning leg is through/Canyon).

The longest trip was 109.5 miles & I was VERY nervous the last 10 of that. The battery display showed 00 for the last 5 or so miles but I made it home with no noticeable drop in performance (but I was very easy on the throttle).

Summer was nice not cooking behind the oil cooler of a RT.

I'm a bit concerned how it will do this Winter in the wet & cold.

I've had the rear tire unexpectedly break loose 3 times so when it's wet, I'll consider selecting Econo mode to insure adequate traction.

It has ABS & really needs Traction Control with the 60hp/106#' motor on a 425# machine.

I will go out on a limb & say most bikes can't keep up with its acceleration so I didn't give up much in the way of performance by going "Green".

It does top out at 98 in Custom Mode & 100 in Sport (70 in Eco) & range is greatly effected by speed but it's a commuter bike, not a race bike.

On my afternoon commute over the hill route (as apposed to through the canyon), I can get a high motor temperature alert about 2/3rd up the 5 mile uphill very tight & twisty section with about 2.5k elevation gain if I ride very aggressive.

It only gets to the warning level & does not get high enough to effect performance buts it's something to think about if your looking to heavily flog these passively air cooled bikes.

Again, it's not a race bike but that doesn't meen you can't have a little fun now & again.

All in all, so far so good.

Here's an ad that might give someone looking for SWMBO approval an idea or two..