IGNORED

Loud Pipes

TG R1150RT

TG R1150RT

Does anyone have any opinion on installing loud pipes on our 1150RT ? If that impairs the performance of our bikes? Also, any nonbrand pipes that have solid base-type of tone aside from remus/akrapovic etc? Also, is it necessary to program the bike (ie power commander) after its done? Thank you in advance!

realshelby

Well, beware that you asked for an opinion. Many here will tell you that loud pipes are simply obnoxious to the public and other riders. If you are about to claim "loud pipes save lives", better have something to back up that statement that includes facts. There are no real gains in performance on the Boxer engines of that model by going to open exhaust. Honestly, these engines don't sound all that good quiet, loud pipes are awful sounding on them. Some of these models have a lean surge condition, I doubt that open exhaust will help that or really make it a lot worse. There are some fuel management devices that can help.

:lurk:

Doug_Baliko
Well, beware that you asked for an opinion. Many here will tell you that loud pipes are simply obnoxious to the public and other riders. If you are about to claim "loud pipes save lives", better have something to back up that statement that includes facts. There are no real gains in performance on the Boxer engines of that model by going to open exhaust. Honestly, these engines don't sound all that good quiet, loud pipes are awful sounding on them. Some of these models have a lean surge condition, I doubt that open exhaust will help that or really make it a lot worse. There are some fuel management devices that can help.

:lurk:

+ 1

First welcome to BMWST. Glad to have you here.

Lots-o-questions in your post. To be honest I come from the other end of the spectrum that quiet bikes are less fatiguing to ride far and keep my neighbors friendly. Coming from the land of rolling thunder, you have to define loud. My personal opinion is that the boxer twin with a little note on the exhaust doesn't sound bad, but gets to just an obnoxious boom as you go too unsilenced and will never sound as cool as a Hawg or Duc V twin with an unsilenced exhaust.

Installing a louder silencer on the RT is not nearly as satisfying as the HD guys getting a significant bump in power with opening up the intake and exhaust as those motors are delivered way more constricted in its ability to breath VS your R259 motor. BMW tends to wring all of the useful performance as delivered without dumping megabux into squeezing more from these motors. Your likely $$ ahead to just go buy a used 600 cc sport bike from Japan to be a stable mate to your RT as these will run circles around you sportTOURING RT in a pure sporting sense.

Many folks with your vintage boxer do install some type of richening fix, like a power commander, but it is typically done to fix a lean metering condition that causes surging at cruise throtle and not to add horse power.

Does anyone have any opinion on installing loud pipes on our 1150RT ? If that impairs the performance of our bikes? Also, any nonbrand pipes that have solid base-type of tone aside from remus/akrapovic etc? Also, is it necessary to program the bike (ie power commander) after its done? Thank you in advance!

Your probably talking about a slip on muffler. You'll get less heat with the cat gone, but that's it. You'll get popping on decel that is normal.

A true full system will give more power but unlikely you are talking about that.

The Remus, Akro, Staintune cost more for a reason. They are top quality that won't vibrate apart, fracture brackets or burn out in a couple hundred miles.

The 2 Brothers is the worst for all of the above.

You truly get what you pay for.

Evening TG R1150RT

Yes, don't do it (well you asked for an opinion)

Just keep in mind that the BMW is a 360° firing 2 cylinder boxer engine so even the best tuned exhaust sounds flat & droning. You can make them loud but really can't make them sound sweet like a Ducati or Harley.

Basically a BMW boxer sounds like farting under water, if you put a louder exhaust on they basically sound like loud farting underwater.

If you put an open exhaust on then you get reversion so you then get a lot of post fire popping in the exhaust on dropped throttle.

On most of the BMW rides that I go on we put the loud BMW's at the rear of the line as nobody likes to ride behind a droning popping BMW.

Do some research.

Most likely hardly any performance gain, and most likely a loss in some parts of the power band, plus lower mpg.

The engineers at BMW got this part right.

I've seen the aftermarket pipes on these bike.

Meh, nothing to get excited about and in some cases, IMO, sounds worse.

A lot$ of Money for???

YMMV

I believe that the factory engineers know more about performance and enhancing it than I do. I'm content to leave things alone. There is no shortage of other farkles available to buy.

TG R1150RT

Very nice opinions! Thank you to each and every one of you! I will stick with the stock pipes so that I may enjoy quiet rides and am able to hear other vehicles near me, should that be a safety issue to be prepared for!