IGNORED

fuel tank vent line alternatives?

Egor

I should have done it a couple of years ago when they were $22/meter - but now the vent lines are $47 a meter, and there are two of them. Is there some alternative solution here? I may have sticker shock and so many things to fix right now...

This is the part.

13 53 2325737 - HOSE RUNNING METER - 5X10

Does anyone make 3/16 submersible line?

I believe the original hose is a reinforced, submersible, 5mm ID, 10mm OD nitrile. I haven't found another source for it.

I am running 3/16 ID, 5/16 OD single wall viton. (McMaster Carr 5119K42) It has been in place for a couple years now with no issues yet. The thinner wall means the stock clamps won't work. I used some smaller clamps which may have been from outer hoses as well as a couple wraps of safety wire when I ran out of clamps. It is also available in a 7/16 OD, but the price is up there with the BMW stuff. Regardless, viton should be more forgiving than nitrile with ethanol.

If I were in a pinch or just wanted to try the cheapest thing, I'd give Tygon F-4040-A the nod. It could be fine, or it may fail in a couple years. At under $1 per foot, it is the clear winner on price. I wouldn't use it outside the tank since it doesn't like high temperatures.

Next time I have my tank apart, I'll probably switch to fluorosilicone just to try it out. In theory, it may be the ideal material. (McMaster Carr 9627T23)

Edited by rxcrider

I don't remember that the BMW vent lines were reinforced (braided) - it's been a little while. The flourosilicone tubing looks like a promising alternative.

Thank you so much, it's great to have alternatives.

So tempted to cheap out and try out Tygon... sigh. Worried about the temperature sensitivity, 165 degrees is pretty low, even for inside the tank. If it starts cracking and I'll get leaks out of the drain/vent lines that's probably ok, but don't want it to flake or crumble inside the tank. Still, the price is mighty tempting...

Edited by Egor
Thank you so much, it's great to have alternatives.

So tempted to cheap out and try out Tygon... sigh. Worried about the temperature sensitivity, 165 degrees is pretty low. If it starts cracking and I'll get leaks out of the drain/vent lines that's probably ok, but don't want it to flake or crumble inside the tank. Still, the price is mighty tempting...

Afternoon Egor

We use a lot of Tygon & Tygon variants where I work & Tygon tends to get very hard & brittle when exposed to long term alcohol laced gasoline. It probably won't split or crack but we have issues with the clamps staying tight & keeping the tubing tight to the fittings. I would also imagine that finding proper clamp sizes to work the Tygon OD will be a challenge (you definitely can't trust cheap worm gear type clamps on small diameter tubing)

If you park your bike outside then you have some options on trying different in-tank hose types. If you park your motorcycle inside then keep in mind that a vent or water drain hose that seeps can dump 1/2 tank of fuel on your garage or storage building floor in a single night. (personally I wouldn't want to take a chance on blowing up my garage or shop to save a few dollars on hoses that get replaced every 15 years)

You might try Beemer Boneyard-- a while back they couldn't find an acceptable (safe) replacement for those in-tank drain & vent hoses but that was a while back so maybe they have found something by now.

Fair point, I won't try to go super cheap - but can't spend a hundred dollars on those two hoses either. That fluorosilicone line seems pretty attractive, I think I'll give that a shot - and the outside diameter is 9.5mm which is close enough to where I can use the vent hose clamps from beemer boneyard (they still don't have any hose replacements however).

Anyone know off the top of their head how many feet of tubing I'll need for both hoses? I haven't cranked my tank open yet, hoping to have all the goodies on hand for when I do.

I assume you're asking about the in-tank vent lines?

When I did my 1150 I got by with one meter but it was very very close. Just a few more cm on each would have made it much easier. That was almost 10k miles ago with no problems.

If you are going to use the FI screw clamps on the fluorosilicone hose, be careful tightening it down. The one downside on that hose from a spec sheet perspective is tear resistance.

Dave_a -

The lines you used from the Boneyard are only 10" long.

You used these to replace the vent lines?

The vent & water drain hoses are a bit smaller at 5mm ID. I'm fairly certain that 1/4" line would fall off the barb without one heck of a clamp job and even then, it might not seal. 3/16" = 4.762mm so it is a snug alternative. 6.35mm and would be very loose.

Edited by rxcrider

Dayco and Gates are as far as I can tell - the only producers of SAE 30R10 submersible hose here in the US. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 are the sizes. BMW dlrs will sell a meter for $39. Seems like a bargain compared to $22 per ft from NAPA. As rxcrider said Napa may not well.

Seems they have us by our hoses!

• 5 years later...
gmcjetpilot

ANY NEW ALTERNATIVES? BMW IS $53-$57 (plus tax and shipping as applicable). My local BMW dealer can get it, $57. With tax it will be $62 for one meter of hose, enough to make two hoses.  I used Tygon last time I was in the tank. After 5-6 years it was stiff/hard... but still OK.   I still have some of the same tygon I used last time. Rather not, like to use the good stuff, 30R10 spec. 

This is my second time in the tank. First time 6 yrs ago it was leaking around O-Ring. Very cold weather I filled up. It was leaking on the ground and most of the fuel in tank was gone next day. Once I was in the tank, I found a horror story of rotten hoses and wring insulation.  Got it fixed but unfortunately the pump later died.

My current tank rebuild is is replacing dead locked up pump. I am replacing everything. I got the Beemer Boneyard fuel pump kit with filters, clamps, some hoses, vibration damper, and O-rings.  Beemer Boneyard kit does not come with vent houses and they don't sell the submersible vent tubes. 

It's crazy the VENT hoses cost over half of what the pump cost. 

12 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

ANY NEW ALTERNATIVES? BMW IS $53-$57 (plus tax and shipping as applicable). My local BMW dealer can get it, $57. With tax it will be $62 for one meter of hose, enough to make two hoses.  I used Tygon last time I was in the tank. After 5-6 years it was stiff/hard... but still OK.   I still have some of the same tygon I used last time. Rather not, like to use the good stuff, 30R10 spec. 

This is my second time in the tank. First time 6 yrs ago it was leaking around O-Ring. Very cold weather I filled up. It was leaking on the ground and most of the fuel in tank was gone next day. Once I was in the tank, I found a horror story of rotten hoses and wring insulation.  Got it fixed but unfortunately the pump later died.

My current tank rebuild is is replacing dead locked up pump. I am replacing everything. I got the Beemer Boneyard fuel pump kit with filters, clamps, some hoses, vibration damper, and O-rings.  Beemer Boneyard kit does not come with vent houses and they don't sell the submersible vent tubes. 

It's crazy the VENT hoses cost over half of what the pump cost. 

Morning gmcjetpilot

If that small diameter 30R10 was easy or cheap to get then it would for sale at BeemerBoneyard or at a number of other BMW aftermarket suppliers as there is definitely a demand for it. (there is a reason you can't easily find it online)

Some have been able to get both pieces out of a single (1 meter) BMW supplied hose but that leaves them just a little too short to easily work with (but some seem to make it work). 

Hopefully someone has found a suitable work-around hose supplier as just buying bulk  30R10 is about as expensive as the BMW supplied hose.   

The other thing is: you also need to find PROPER fitting full wraparound fuel injection (high pressure) hose clamps for whatever optional hose that you source. 

Long ago I had a source for that hose (through a private source) but that source has long dried up & I am just about out of my last roll so I am going to have to dig up another source myself in the future. 

You m-i-g-h-t try Euromotoelectrics     https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/searchresults.asp?Search=fuel+hose&Submit=     as they have a lot of R & K bike fuel system hoses available. I don't see any R bike vent hoses but possibly they can point you at a source, or have some in hiding. If they don't have it & can't source it then THAT tells you something about finding it just laying on someone's shelf. 

gmcjetpilot
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning gmcjetpilot

The other thing is: you also need to find PROPER fitting full wraparound fuel injection (high pressure) hose clamps for whatever optional hose that you source. 

You m-i-g-h-t try Euromotoelectrics     https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/searchresults.asp?Search=fuel+hose&Submit=     as they have a lot of R & K bike fuel system hoses available. I don't see any R bike vent hoses but possibly they can point you at a source, or have some in hiding. If they don't have it & can't source it then THAT tells you something about finding it just laying on someone's shelf. 

Morning dirtrider:

Yep I have the clamps. I went with the full meal deal fuel pump kit from from beemer boneyard. I needed all those parts. I still have my original clamps as well. 

Euromotoelectrics has vent hose ending in PN 737 for $54.53 + shipping.+ likely tax. However I just ordered it from local BMW dealer nearby, $57 no shipping, but tax. So about $62.  I found some 1/4" SAE 30R10 fuel line but it was more than BMW, like $22/foot from an Auto Parts store chain by special order. 

The METER length of vent hose BMW sells should be OK length wise. A meter is 39". My current vent lines are right at 19" each now (I made them last time out of tygon). The slack I have with current hoses is just enough but not much to spare. Tygon hose in service +7 years is stiff. They "work" but life limited. I am going to do it right this time. 

I ordered some hose from EuroMotoelectrics. It was advertised as 4 feet for $59.98. When it arrived it was only 3’ 4” or a meter. They now advertise it as 1 meter for $59.98. I hope it’s enough?