IGNORED

05 RT Windscreen not working--actuator good.

beemermike

Hi Everyone. I have a new-to-me 05 R1200rt with a pre-existing known non-functioning windscreen actuator. BMW techs diagnosed as 'hall sensor' hard fault--hardware related, likely needs motor actuator.'

So I bought a used actuator from a verified eBay vendor. The motor works, as it functions with 12v supply on the bench. I have the pro GS-911 which throws a “Windscreen sensor malfunction. The fault is currently present fault” which i cannot get to clear. The realtime tests indicate that the GS-911 verifies the handlebar switch, that it detects the actuator/sensor--but it fails during calibration.

I then located another actuator, this time verifying it was working while in the supply bike. Same problem.

Any suggestions? Is the GS-911 incapable of clearing this fault? Will the Motorrad computer show the same fault again? ZFE? Do I need to have the engine running to clear this fault and calibrate??

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Everyone. I have a new-to-me 05 R1200rt with a pre-existing known non-functioning windscreen actuator. BMW techs diagnosed as 'hall sensor' hard fault--hardware related, likely needs motor actuator.'

So I bought a used actuator from a verified eBay vendor. The motor works, as it functions with 12v supply on the bench. I have the pro GS-911 which throws a “Windscreen sensor malfunction. The fault is currently present fault” which i cannot get to clear. The realtime tests indicate that the GS-911 verifies the handlebar switch, that it detects the actuator/sensor--but it fails during calibration.

I then located another actuator, this time verifying it was working while in the supply bike. Same problem.

Any suggestions? Is the GS-911 incapable of clearing this fault? Will the Motorrad computer show the same fault again? ZFE? Do I need to have the engine running to clear this fault and calibrate??

Afternoon Michael

I am away from ALL my manuals & information this weekend so not much help other than to suggest that you try the calibration with a battery charger hooked to the battery.

(the system MUST be over 12.6 volts during the calibration process)

If that doesn't work then try a battery disconnect for about 30 minutes then re-connect-- then with battery charger connected try the calibration again.

When done don't forget to do a new TPS re-learn (this has nothing to do with your windshield calibration)

I haven't seen many windshield calibration issue & the few that I have seen were from a failed ZFE firmware update try.

Hey D.R!

Thanks for the reply. The bike has a brand new Odyssey battery, which was put in initially when bike was quitting. Turned out to be fuel pump controller. The dealer took care of FPC, fuel strip under warranty, at which point they ran the scan on my faulty windscreen.

So, voltage aside, do I need the firmware upgraded? Is that why the ZFE has hit its limit?

Afternoon Michael

I am away from ALL my manuals & information this weekend so not much help other than to suggest that you try the calibration with a battery charger hooked to the battery.

(the system MUST be over 12.6 volts during the calibration process)

If that doesn't work then try a battery disconnect for about 30 minutes then re-connect-- then with battery charger connected try the calibration again.

When done don't forget to do a new TPS re-learn (this has nothing to do with your windshield calibration)

I haven't seen many windshield calibration issue & the few that I have seen were from a failed ZFE firmware update try.

Hey D.R!

Thanks for the reply. I checked with my friend who was on the laptop, and it turns out we only had 12.4v when doing the scan/recalibration, so that is very useful info. We'll put the charger on it, or run the bike and see if we can't calibrate!

Hi DR,

UPDATE*** On your advice, I made sure I had 12.6v min by using smart charger (and again by having bike running). Also, did the 30min battery disconnect (and TPS reset). Was able to clear all ZFE codes, but still can't calibrate the windscreen. Real time values show 'windscreen sensor output 1 + 2 =OFF.' Any help?? If the hard fault is clear, the windscreen should work, yes? Maybe this needs the BMW diagnostic computer?

Hi DR,

UPDATE*** On your advice, I made sure I had 12.6v min by using smart charger (and again by having bike running). Also, did the 30min battery disconnect (and TPS reset). Was able to clear all ZFE codes, but still can't calibrate the windscreen. Real time values show 'windscreen sensor output 1 + 2 =OFF.' Any help?? If the hard fault is clear, the windscreen should work, yes? Maybe this needs the BMW diagnostic computer?

Evening beemermike

I have seen so few problems with the electrical side of the 1200RT windshield (lot of broken arms) that I'm kind of at a loss on what to look at next without a dealer computer hookup or a ZFE update.

A quick thought before taking the bike to a BMW dealer & paying BIG $$$$$$ would be to contact Hexcode ( support@hexcode.co.za )

They are pretty helpful in using their GS-911 on stubborn problems-- possibly Hexcode can make some suggestions on getting that thing to calibrate (hopefully anyhow)

Hi DR,

Evening beemermike

I have seen so few problems with the electrical side of the 1200RT windshield (lot of broken arms) that I'm kind of at a loss on what to look at next without a dealer computer hookup or a ZFE update.

A quick thought before taking the bike to a BMW dealer & paying BIG $$$$$$ would be to contact Hexcode ( support@hexcode.co.za )

They are pretty helpful in using their GS-911 on stubborn problems-- possibly Hexcode can make some suggestions on getting that thing to calibrate (hopefully anyhow)

Thanks D.R.!

• 1 year later...