IGNORED

Wire Colors

rickmoen

Hello All,

I'm adding an Admore light bar to the rear of my 2014 R1200RT. Being an electrical dimwit, I'm stuck trying to connect the light bar wires to the bike's wires. Does anyone know the color of the bike's brake light, tail light, left turn, and right turn wires? Where to look? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

This should help you out.

Blue/Black: Right turn signal

Blue/Red:Left turn signal

Grey/Red: Tail light

Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake

Brown: Ground

Jay

Bill_Walker
Thank you Jay,

I'll hunt for a wire loom with colors in it.

Rick

Unplug the connector from the taillight, and you'll see the exposed wires as they go into the connector. You may find that you have to remove the rear rack and tail piece to get to the connector, however.

On edit: that won't get you to the turn signal wires, though.

Edited by Bill_Walker

Thanks Bill,

I've already started to take stuff off the rear of the bike, not done with that yet however. Any ideas on turn signal access?

Rick

Bill_Walker
Thanks Bill,

I've already started to take stuff off the rear of the bike, not done with that yet however. Any ideas on turn signal access?

Rick

I've got mine apart right now for lighting and audio installations, but I'm not wiring anything to the turn signals. I am planning to pick up the taillight wire as a trigger for my PDM60. So, no, I haven't looked at turn signal wiring.

Bill,

I talked with my dealer here in Tucson and they said to remove the tail light lens assembly and the unplug the wiring for easy access. I've removed the three screws holding the lens assembly on, but it is still snug. I must be a mechanical dimwit as well because I can't get the lens assembly to release - hate to yank on it and wreck something. Did you remove your lens assembly?

Rick

Bill_Walker
Thanks Bill,

Rick

I've got mine apart right now for lighting and audio installations, but I'm not wiring anything to the turn signals. I am planning to pick up the taillight wire as a trigger for my PDM60. So, no, I haven't looked at turn signal wiring.

I'm an idiot. I forgot the turn signals are in the same assembly as the taillight, so the wires are on the same connector. D'oh!

Bill_Walker
Bill,

I talked with my dealer here in Tucson and they said to remove the tail light lens assembly and the unplug the wiring for easy access. I've removed the three screws holding the lens assembly on, but it is still snug. I must be a mechanical dimwit as well because I can't get the lens assembly to release - hate to yank on it and wreck something. Did you remove your lens assembly?

Rick

No. I just unplugged the connector from the bike side. I'm in the process now of cutting back a bit of the wiring loom so I can tap into the taillight wire. Note that I did remove ALL the bodywork from the upper rear of the bike, i.e., the rack and the black plastic parts under it. My taillight assembly appears to be attached with circlips on plastic studs, not with screws.

Bill,

I see the circles and have removed them - tail light assembly is now removed. Much easier to attach wires. Thank you for your tips.

Rick

Bill_Walker

While installing my Billie brake light, I found that there's a gap between the taillight and the rear bodywork underneath that's perfect for snaking a cable through to the under tray.

Got everything installed and back together. I did have a issue with a misbehaving unit, so I sent an email to Admore, thinking I might hear back after the weekend. Much to my surprise, less than five minutes after send my email, I got a phone call from Admore asking how they could help. I explained what I was seeing, and was told to move one wire and, lo and behold, the unit worked perfectly! Checkout: to see the light bar in action. 5 minutes!!! How's that for customer service! There is so much more light in the back of the RT that if someone doesn't see it, they should not be driving. Next up - lights for the front of the motorcycle. Lookout Clearwater, here I come! See you Salt Lake City.

A very special Thank You to Jay and Bill for their help and ideas in getting my project done and working. This site is just the best!

LittleBriar

I've got the Admore light on the back of my RT. They work great and don't need canbus module to work. Mine has built in accelerometer to flash based on deceleration.

Bill_Walker

I've got an Admore light bar I'll be selling when I get around to selling stuff. I bought it a few years ago for my Kawasaki, and discovered it was just too wide for the bike. But I went for a Clearwater Billie on the RT, because I was already doing Darlas.

So, if anybody reading this wants a never-installed Admore light bar, PM me.