IGNORED

Don't Buy From Cee Bailey

Cdnrtowner

I made the mistake of ordering a new windshield for my 2016 R1200RT. The poor, inefficient sales department was only marginally better than the shipping and support sections. The sales department stated that the United States Postal Service was the best and least expensive way to ship the windshield from California to British Columbia, Canada. I followed the advice. I subsequently received a call from FEDEX stating that if I wanted my windshield, I had to pay an additional $44 for duty and taxes. My invoice from Cee Bailey's specifically stated that there were no taxes and my windshield would be shipped by the USPS. I explained this to Juan and Avo at Cee Bailey and was told that they were not responsible for the additional charges. I have quoted the discrepencies between my order details and the Cee Bailey website, asked for a refund of $44, and requested a discussion with a supervisor. I have phoned the company 3 times and left voice mails. I have heard nothing! A LONG STORY TO WARN POTENTIAL BUYERS!

lonestar4569

I hate that my first post has to be on something like this, but could not seat by and say nothing. I TOTALLY disagree with your statememt of "don't by from Cee Bailey". I really don't think an extremely long running company with a great repertation and a record of supporting the BMW motorcycle community really needs me to defend them either.

Johnny Jetson

I've used them several times, including 2 windshields and a complete set of bag liners. Never a problem. Quality merchandise, reasonable price, delivered on time.

Why would the duty and taxes be higher via FedEx than it is via the postal service? Seems to me it would be the same, given that it's based on the value of the product, not the shipping method.

I also don't think Care Bailey should be responsible for customs fees and taxes to bring the product into your country.

I understand your frustration, but seems that all Cee Bailey may owe you, it you were charged for FedEx, is the difference in shipping costs between FedEx and US Postal Service, since that's what you asked for.

I am sorry you feel that Cee Bailey done you wrong. They are a direct competitor of mine, yet I feel the need to defend them.

Shipping internationally means you have to deal with Customs. Customs fees, VAT, or other taxes are always the responsibility of the consumer buying the product. There is NO way to be sure what those fees will be so Cee Bailey and every other vendor I know of states that those are the responsibility of the buyer. Cee Bailey clearly states this on their website HERE. They also state they USUALLY ship USPS internationally.

I have seen where FedEx uses the USPS to deliver to the customer, as well as DHL. Meaning these companies are using each other to cut costs and save time. How it was shipped probably does nothing to change fees or taxes.

Your government sets these fees and taxes, not Cee Bailey. Take a deep breath and pay them and enjoy your new windshield.

Doug_Baliko

Cee Bailey has been in business for many, many years. They are a quality company with quality products. I have used their windshields on several of my bikes with no issue. Your issue is shipping from the U.S. to Canada. My company has the same issues as what you're running into. Anything imported into Canada is subject to their tax. This IS NOT a Cee Bailey issue. Many Canadians have a post office box just over the border for this very reason.

The method of shipping does not matter. This is a Canadian Customs issue. Any package by any shipper has to go through customs clearances.

I think that jumping on here and knocking a reputable company when you don't know the facts of your issue is irresponsible.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko
Doug_Baliko
I made the mistake of ordering a new windshield for my 2016 R1200RT. The poor, inefficient sales department was only marginally better than the shipping and support sections. The sales department stated that the United States Postal Service was the best and least expensive way to ship the windshield from California to British Columbia, Canada. I followed the advice. I subsequently received a call from FEDEX stating that if I wanted my windshield, I had to pay an additional $44 for duty and taxes. My invoice from Cee Bailey's specifically stated that there were no taxes and my windshield would be shipped by the USPS. I explained this to Juan and Avo at Cee Bailey and was told that they were not responsible for the additional charges. I have quoted the discrepencies between my order details and the Cee Bailey website, asked for a refund of $44, and requested a discussion with a supervisor. I have phoned the company 3 times and left voice mails. I have heard nothing! A LONG STORY TO WARN POTENTIAL BUYERS!

There is NO Reason to post this all over the site. You already posted this.

Cee Bailey has been in business for many, many years. They are a quality company with quality products. I have used their windshields on several of my bikes with no issue. Your issue is shipping from the U.S. to Canada. My company has the same issues as what you're running into. Anything imported into Canada is subject to their tax. This IS NOT a Cee Bailey issue. Many Canadians have a post office box just over the border for this very reason.

The method of shipping does not matter. This is a Canadian Customs issue. Any package by any shipper has to go through customs clearances.

I think that jumping on here and knocking a reputable company when you don't know the facts of your issue is irresponsible.

Doug

szurszewski

I have seen where FedEx uses the USPS to deliver to the customer, as well as DHL.

I don't know about international, but when we lived in AK FedEx and USPS often moved packages between them; that is to say, the shipper may have sent it starting at the USPS but it was delivered to us via FedEx or the converse - a package that started at FedEx was handed over to us by the local post office.

In either case, I don't see how they or the shipper would have control over the duties imposed.

First, thanks for the comments by forum members from Texas and California. Next, regarding the Cee Bailey Canadian Duty issue, AEROFLOW's website provides an important insight to Cee Bailey's products. It reads for Canadian Buyers, "Because AeroFlow products are handmade in the USA, our items fall under NAFTA so you should not have customs fees due upon receipt." By inference, Cee Bailey does not hand make its windshields. Also, if carriers move other companies' products and vice versa, why are the prices to consumers different for USPS and FEDEX, for instance? As well, I can testify that carriers other than USPS add a warehouse/storage fee to the price of shipping from the USA to Canada. USPS Finally, when I get my Cee Bailey windshield, I hope that it is of a "reputable" quality from a "long standing" company.

Doug_Baliko
First, thanks for the comments by forum members from Texas and California. Next, regarding the Cee Bailey Canadian Duty issue, AEROFLOW's website provides an important insight to Cee Bailey's products. It reads for Canadian Buyers, "Because AeroFlow products are handmade in the USA, our items fall under NAFTA so you should not have customs fees due upon receipt." By inference, Cee Bailey does not hand make its windshields. Also, if carriers move other companies' products and vice versa, why are the prices to consumers different for USPS and FEDEX, for instance? As well, I can testify that carriers other than USPS add a warehouse/storage fee to the price of shipping from the USA to Canada. USPS Finally, when I get my Cee Bailey windshield, I hope that it is of a "reputable" quality from a "long standing" company.

Too bad that you didn't read Cee Baileys website as well as you did AeroFlow's site.

"CBAP Inc. is not responsible for any fees, taxes, import duties, GST, levies, or local postal fees in any international country. Please check with your country's post or postal and customs agency, in regards to any fees that are required by your country to get the item delivered to you. It is your responsibility to pay any other fees or taxes, required by your country, for package delivery, if applicable. "

I'll chime in as a Canadian.

When I order anything from the US I always expect to pay duty and taxes regardless of what a website or company representative says.

I say this because the company is not in a position to accurately reflect trade regulations.

Canadian Border Services provides a duty and taxes estimator here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

I think it's important to note that there's a disclaimer to the effect that the estimate is not binding.

It's unfortunate that this has been your experience however Cee Bailey does indeed have a solid reputation as a retailer of a quality product. There does appear to be the potential that they may owe you the difference in shipping costs excluding duty and taxes.

Edited by DavidR8

I won't get into the Aeroflow vs Cee Bailey discussion. ALL of these windshields are handmade. I know this personally and know that Cee Bailey windshields are also. IF there were a customs or tax break from claiming your product is handmade it would be used by every company that qualified for it. Again, the customer is responsible for ANY Customs fees or taxes on orders shipped across a border. Cee Bailey plainly states that.

Shipping costs? You agreed to the shipping cost they gave you I assume. IF they based that on a USPS rate, so be it. If they found FedEx was cheaper by a few dollars, or they knew FedEx was faster and if price was equal chose them, you still agreed to that price to ship the purchase. Warehouse or storage fee? I think you might mean a broker fee. This is where the shipper has a fast track through the Customs process and are bonded. This costs money, but shipping times to Canada can be DAYS quicker. Customs fees and taxes are the same. Or maybe if the customer takes too long to pay the Customs fees they would charge a storage/warehouse fee. Again, if you agreed to the total at checkout and they sent it FedEx there won't be a difference in cost to you. In my experience USPS takes about 12-14 days from ship date till customer gets the package. If you are well under that, then you got great service.....at no extra charge.

Edited by realshelby

I have had great service and products from CeeB. I have bought motorcycle windshield, motorcycle seat, motorcycle bag liners that I've used on the last 3 bikes and they still look new, headlamp protector, and even a windshield for my airplane...all of the products have been very good. The headlight protector is held on with 3M buttons. The 3M buttons over time, like any similar Velcro product, eventually wear out. Over about a dozen years every time I write CeeB and ask about new buttons...they just send me a dozen or so for free....way beyond what is required of them. As indicated I've bought many things from them and will buy again in the future. I'm sorry your experience wasn't all you expected it to be but don't give up on their products as they are really good people and my experience the customer service has been good too.

Edited by Skywagon
Shiny Side Up

I bought one of their windscreens several years ago. A friend just got one for his Honda. They sent the wrong windscreen for his motorcycle but had the right one at his door before he could get the other packed up and shipped back with a PRE-PAID address label.

Nothing but good things here to say about their products or customer service.

What some of you don't realize is that this happens when sending thing to Canada. I had it happen when I sold a seat to someone in Canada. They wanted $40, so I split it with the guy. If there would be no charges sending it through the USPS and it was sent Fedex by Cee Bailey after saying it would be sent USPS, then Cee Bailey should own up to their mistake. If they've been in business a long time and sell stuff to Canadians, which I bet they do, they should have known this would happen.

What some of you don't realize is

I'd say our poster didn't realize is that it isn't the best idea to use our neighborhood to vent grievances in this manner, particularly as the owner of this company is friends with many of us. I'm sure he was not aware of the latter. So instead of "buyer beware" perhaps he can agree to "live and learn".

Top notch company in my opinion. Shortly after installing my newly purchased headlight protector a very large rock fractured the cover but left no mark on the plastic light assembly of my RTW. Upon ordering a replacement unit in such a short period of time CB decided not to charge me for it. I was prepared to pay but they wouldn't have it.

I bought a windshield from them and have no complaint. I'm sorry the OP isn't happy, but he lives in Ca. and should have known there was tax and duty to be paid.

... If there would be no charges sending it through the USPS and it was sent Fedex by Cee Bailey after saying it would be sent USPS, then Cee Bailey should own up to their mistake.
I believe this is the OP's original complaint which is not unreasonable if true.

I really doubt that it matters which shipper is used. The Canadian government is going to get their customs duty and taxes.

I really doubt that it matters which shipper is used. The Canadian government is going to get their customs duty and taxes.
I believe a 'brokerage fee' charged by a carrier and a 'customs fee' charged by a government are not the same and it is possible that these are being conflated in this thread.
... If there would be no charges sending it through the USPS and it was sent Fedex by Cee Bailey after saying it would be sent USPS, then Cee Bailey should own up to their mistake.
I believe this is the OP's original complaint which is not unreasonable if true.

eggzackery.

Could be, but the person I sold the seat to said I shouldn't have used UPS, but USPS. Lesson learned.

"Brokerage fee" would be around $15 in this case if my guesses are correct. There is no brokerage fee with the USPS Priority Mail, but while there may or may not have been with FedEx this fee would be paid by the shipper up front. Customer would not be asked to pay that.

Customs and VAT taxes, or other fees, are based on declared value which must be plainly stated on the shipping paperwork. Meaning no matter how it arrives these fees/taxes are based on the selling price of the product.

Some customers will ask to put a false purchase price on the shipping paperwork. Most vendors have a disclaimer saying they won't do that.

Original complaint was the $44 in fees/taxes he said FedEx requested to clear the package from Customs. The invoice stated no taxes due and that the USPS would be the shipper. Well, there are no sales taxes for international purchases and CB's website clearly states the Customs/VAT/fees if encountered are the customers responsibility. They are in the right on that. Stating the shipper was USPS and FedEx ends up with it I don't know about. Could be a deal where FedEx was the end player in delivery. I see that regularly. A tracking number would tell us everything, if it starts with "CA" then it was shipped USPS. That would be the only complaint, the shipper used, but even that shouldn't matter if the cost was what was presented and agreed to at time of purchase.

What some of you don't realize is

I'd say our poster didn't realize is that it isn't the best idea to use our neighborhood to vent grievances in this manner, particularly as the owner of this company is friends with many of us. I'm sure he was not aware of the latter...

I've bought windshields and bags from CB without issue. Good products and service IMO.

That said, I'm not taking sides but whether the owner of the company has personal friends among forum members is irrelevant to the (any) customer service issue.

This is one of my points. USPS does not charge brokerage fees. FEDEX, UPS etc..., do charge. I believe that the extra $44 would have been less if USPS had been correctly used instead of FEDEX to ship this package.

Amazed this thread hasn't been deleted.

Why?

Posters providing their experiences and knowledge on Cee Bailey as well as the ins and outs of shipping international.

I'm confident the readers are smart enough to make up their own minds on whether or not to do business with Cee Bailey.

Find out from "friends" what the facts are or are not before shooting the messenger. I did ask for clarification from the customer service department before launching my frustration. Perhaps some investigation and communication by "friends" regarding an observation would eliminate complaints aired in a public, wrong place i.e., this Forum. I apologize for judging your "friend's" business in this Forum. Please pass on my regrets.

Amazed this thread hasn't been deleted.

Why?

Posters providing their experiences and knowledge on Cee Bailey as well as the ins and outs of shipping international.

I'm confident the readers are smart enough to make up their own minds on whether or not to do business with Cee Bailey.

Agreed. Lots of good info being discussed. As I do not live in Canada, the particulars do not make any real difference to me. However, there are times when the shipper chosen by a vendor can make a difference. I ordered a coupe of webcams to be delivered to a retail shop where I know the owner. Unfortunately, the shipper chose to use USPS, and since our friend doesn't actually get mail delivered to his shop by the Post Office, my purchases were returned as undeliverable.

I did voice my dissatisfaction to the vendor, with no reply. I had to reorder and have them delivered to my home and then take them to their final destination the next time I was there. I lost a couple of weeks on my plan, and now I have to take all of this into consideration.

"Brokerage fee" would be around $15 in this case if my guesses are correct. There is no brokerage fee with the USPS Priority Mail, but while there may or may not have been with FedEx this fee would be paid by the shipper up front.

Terry, sorry if this appears argumentative because its not intended as such. Given the lack of hard information it was an interesting subject to research on this low activity day ;) .

It seems that the FedEx 'Clearance Entry Fee' (Brokerage) is pretty standard FedEx LINK . Its possible that CB considers this one of those 'fees' that are the customer's responsibility rather than including it in the initial quote. That's understandable given the variability of how its applied. Other fees may be applicable as indicated in the links shown below.

CB might do a better job of advising customers of potential costs like TwistedThrottle LINK regarding Canada Shipping

Another article found on the web regarding this issue:

LINK to Photoprice Canada article on shipping from US to Canada

I don't think CB is guilty of an unfair business practice but there still is the issue of the OPs stated problem of the unadvised switch from USPS (no brokerage/service fee) to FedEx which from all indications does affect overall delivery cost.

In the end, maybe the best outcome is more awareness of the potential fees of shipping to Canada.

Cee Bailey's makes excellent products. I've outfitted at least 5 of my bikes with their stuff, and it's first rate.

At my company, I get about a call per month from an angry Canadian who thinks that for whatever reason, we are supposed to pay the duties and taxes that their government charges them for all imports. Even though we have disclaimers everywhere advising them that, no, we don't absorb these fees. I'm not sure why they feel this way, or why they would think that a manufacturer in the USA would be aware of the myriad of taxes, duties, customs, etc. in each of the over 100 countries we ship to.

-MKL

Since I have lived in the U.S. for the last four years, I haven't had to consider duties/taxes/brokerage fees. However, when I was living in Canada (and will again), I faced these complications a good number of timers when buying goods in the U.S., and having them shipped to Canada. My experience was similar to many others in that generally shipping vis the U.S. Postal Service was the preferred method, because low, or no, customs brokerage fees were charged. Not so for items shipped via FedEx, UPS, DHL etc. There may, or may not, be duty (depending on the type of good, country of origin etc.). There generally will always be Canadian taxes due upon delivery.

Having said all of that, it was $44, not $4,400. Just chalk it up to experience and move on would be my suggestion. It's certainly no reason to slag a vendor in this manner.

Edited by marcopolo