IGNORED

clunking noise

pdpwcd

new to BMW bikes went for a ride yesterday and when I would hit a bump in the road heard clunking noise from the rear of bike. This morning I put the bike on the center stand started it up put it in first gear and heard noises from drive shaft area I don't know if this is normal sound being there is no load on the rear tire it is a 2015rt with about 9000 miles hoping someone can tell me if this is normal

new to BMW bikes went for a ride yesterday and when I would hit a bump in the road heard clunking noise from the rear of bike. This morning I put the bike on the center stand started it up put it in first gear and heard noises from drive shaft area I don't know if this is normal sound being there is no load on the rear tire it is a 2015rt with about 9000 miles hoping someone can tell me if this is normal

Morning pdpwcd

Running a BMW boxer in gear on the center stand can give you some strange & unusual noises. You have the rather sharp 2 cylinder firing pulses on the boxer engine & the extreme drive shaft angle with no rear wheel load so depending on idle RPM & engine idle smoothness they can sound pretty bad.

Difficult to tell if what you are hearing is normal noise as we can't hear it but more than likely it is.

Probably nothing.

I would inspect the shock mounts and torque arm on the final drive housing to make sure the fasteners are tight. Could even be something like the brake pads in the rear caliper rattling around.

Probably nothing.

I would inspect the shock mounts and torque arm on the final drive housing to make sure the fasteners are tight. Could even be something like the brake pads in the rear caliper rattling around.

My 2016 RT "clunks" a little bit on rough roads and I think it might be the side panniers. I should go on my usual ride where I hear the clunk without the panniers and see if it goes away.

In any case, I get a clunk occasionally and my bike seems perfect in every other way. I have 1995 miles on it (its a 2016, but I got it in February) and when I first heard the noise on bumpy roads it was before my 600 mi service.

My 2016 RT "clunks" a little bit on rough roads and I think it might be the side panniers.

There is a thread somewhere related to the panniers. Seems the bottom plastic mount may not be tight on some bikes. Worth checking.

My 2016 RT "clunks" a little bit on rough roads and I think it might be the side panniers.

There is a thread somewhere related to the panniers. Seems the bottom plastic mount may not be tight on some bikes. Worth checking.

This thread