IGNORED

Idle problem 2004 r1150rt

willyb

Just picked up a new to me 2004 r1150rt and decided to flush the brake lines and changed all the fluids which all went well. I also installed a fuzblock for electrical add ons and attached it to the top of the air filter housing. I also own a r1100gs and have performed all my own service and repairs for years. the problem is when I put the bike back together the idle is running at about 1200-1300 rpms which is high otherwise it runs great and all is well what might I have tweaked while doing this work that would cause the increased idle speed? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also installed some bar risers cables maybe?

Just picked up a new to me 2004 r1150rt and decided to flush the brake lines and changed all the fluids which all went well. I also installed a fuzblock for electrical add ons and attached it to the top of the air filter housing. I also own a r1100gs and have performed all my own service and repairs for years. the problem is when I put the bike back together the idle is running at about 1200-1300 rpms which is high otherwise it runs great and all is well what might I have tweaked while doing this work that would cause the increased idle speed? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also installed some bar risers cables maybe?

Morning willyb

Lots of things could have gone wrong.

If you disconnected the battery when hooking up your fuse box then start by trying a new TPS relearn (it's in you riders manual under battery replace)--If no riders manual then let us know & I will post the procedure for you.

If the TPS relearn doesn't help (I have my doubts) then it sounds like you have excess air entering the intake tract. That could be from one or both of the TB throttle plates held open due to a tight cable or a cable pulled out of the Bowden box, or pulled from it's mid cable adjuster, or L/H throttle cable pulled out of it's TB adjuster ferrule & sitting on the top edge of the ferule. (L/H side would the one that raises idle RPM's)

So verify that the TB throttle cams are fully seated against the stop screws (probably aren't) & if they are off of the idle stop screws then you need to find out why. Look for a tight throttle or choke cable, or cable pulled from an adjuster, or L/H cable sitting on top of TB adjuster ferrule, or choke cable not properly in place at handlebar lever assembly, or cable partially pulled out of Bowden box.

If cables & cable routing are OK & TB cams are (fully) sitting on the idle stop screws, then look for hoses or vacuum plugs missing from bottom of TB's, or other source of vacuum leaks (like split in one of the boots between TB & cylinder head)