IGNORED

Easy Lighting DIY Project that Could Save Your Life (and a few other mods)

Imgnr

I'm big on visibility so went crazy on E-Bay and bought some cheap LED lights.

1) Projector lights: The projector lights were $10 each. The clamps were from ATV roll bars. Added a three position switch on the handlebar with one being constant on, the second one being a police style strobe light ($3 strobe controller from E-Bay) and the third off. The police light may or may not be legal in your jurisdiction but it sure will catch the attention of anyone who doesn't see you and about to turn left in front of you. Lights were super bright and worth the little money it costs.

2) Rear LED lights: Added LED lights to the two side reflectors. Just used a heat gun, pried them off, drilled a small hole in the back for the wires, added the lights and glued everything back together. People can see me from the side and adds lighting value from the back as well.

3) BMW Emblem: From a car. Looks like a normal emblem but lights up ($25 E-Bay). Admittedly cheesy but the whole bike is cheesy. I got a junk bike and having some fun with it.

Not safety related but did carbon fiber on the small windscreen (too lazy to sand down properly). Bought the $25 kit from E-Bay. Also, FYI, the leftover sealer/hardener will remove any cracks, hazing, etc. on the old carbon fiber. My OEM carbon fiber front fender was all messed up. One coat and it cleared up. Now I just need to sand and buff (probably will never happen but it looks better).

The pillion seat was in sad shape so I ripped off the cover and padding and bought a perforated aluminum sheet from E-Bay, grinded it, and bent it by hand. Added canoe tie-downs. Good to go!

All in all, very simple but you're like the electrical light parade at night.

20170609_195053.jpg

20170612_202919.jpg

20170612_202933.jpg

20170612_203024.jpg

20170612_203114.jpg

20170612_203000.jpg

20170612_202946.jpg

Edited by Imgnr

Imgnr -

I like it all, especially the lighted BMW emblem!

And I like the idea of a bike that's not so precious you can't have fun with it.

I gotta say, when it wouldn't run and the timing was off I wondered if it would ever run again! You doing all the work yourself or do you have someone like Jesse James to help out?

Well unlike you Lee, I find excessive and poorly directed light offensive, unnecessary, and unhelpful.

With those dazzling lights, sure people know you are there, but because they dazzle the oncommer, there is no clue as to your size or approaching speed. I would suggest those lights make you more vulnerable, and certainly you make any vehicle travelling behind you more vulnerable, because the car coming in the other direction has just had their vision destroyed.

Bright lights badly controlled are a REAL PITA.

The emblem lights and number plate lights are fine.

Gotta agree with Andy on this one.

Caveat.

If you're just using them to alert left turners, ok, as a defensive measure.

My PIAA 1100 were mounted and switched to a Euroswitch,

Activate by using cancel button, so, in a quick developing situation, I could put them on (up, in nose fairing) and in addition to my always on MotoLights, I had more conspicuity.

I alos had Run-n-Lites, and Lite buddies, so my turn signals were also running lights.

In favor of additional lighting, conspicuity. I even added SOLAS tape in my GIVI topcase behind the reflectors (really helps), and additional retroreflective stickers, and red, blue retroreflective taping rear and side of bags. I also put the black light up retroreflective kit on rear, and front part of saddle bags.

So, like Andy, thumbs up on most.

But be careful with the blinding lights, IMO.

Enjoy the bike.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. I do notice that BMW owners tend to be more thoughtful than others; probably the demographics of the riders ; ) Many motorcycle riders, at least here in Cali, convert their lights to HID and have it on at the brightest setting, whether or not there's any cutoff. The thought is that better to blind someone than to get hit. There are no safety inspections and I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over by the police for having lights that are too bright.

Me, I'm probably going to leave it on for day riding and when I'm out in the wide open desert highways when I need extra throw. I will have my finger on the strobe light if I see cars inching in.

Edited by Imgnr

... The thought is that better to blind someone than to get hit.

Unless you are the next vehicle behind the idiot with his superbright uncontrolled lights, then it is you that gets mown down by the approaching car/lorry/bus because they can't see.

This is the selfishness and escalation of power that is so rife.

You don't need super powerful lights to be seen, you just need lights.

Don't disagree with you on that. It is very prevalent here unfortunately for both cars and motorcycles. Cheap HID kits are available for $25 from China.

On a dark road when your eyes have adjusted to the darkness, average lights already seem very blinding.

Modulators work way better than just bright lights. Our eyes naturally go to "movement" and a pulsing light gets attention quickly but doesn't necessarily blind anyone. Look up in the sky on a clear dark night and you will quickly and easily pick up the aircraft strobe light among the stars. I have modulators on the headlight (hi beam and daytime only) and on the brake lights.

Personally, I'll risk the possibility of temporarily irritating someone to increase my chances of not getting hit. I see SO MANY PEOPLE staring at their phone while driving their cars that I feel something is necessary, maybe justified, to counteract their carelessness.

Imgnr -

I like it all, especially the lighted BMW emblem!

And I like the idea of a bike that's not so precious you can't have fun with it.

I gotta say, when it wouldn't run and the timing was off I wondered if it would ever run again! You doing all the work yourself or do you have someone like Jesse James to help out?

Hi Lee, Bet they would really like my lights. :D