IGNORED

Greetings from New Member and new R1100R owner

BF204

Greetings folks!

First post for a newly minted user here... I had been missing being a bike owner for a few summers now, and now that the kids are older, I decided to re-join the motorcycle fraternity this summer. Back in my younger days (80's/90's) I had a couple honda's (CB650, CB1100F) and used them a reasonable amount for 4 or so seasons (including as rain or shine primary summer transport for some of that). Back then I had always coveted K bikes, so have a soft spot for beemers. This spring I bought a well-used 1999 R1100R. I've been busy with other stuff, and just managed to put a couple tanks of gas through it, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Sporty enough for me, and still comfortable.

The bike has ~95K km on it, mostly from 1st owner (I am the 3rd). It has been well maintained and has accessories & aftermarket upgrades, but I'm sure I'll be mining the forums here for knowledge about maintenance & repairs to come. I'm a "hands on" kind of guy. I have my first mechanical Q / gripe, but I'll post that in the oilhead forum.

Just wanted to get the introduction out of the way!

Brent

Welcome Brent! :wave: This is a great place to hangout when you're not riding. Actually, it's not too shabby when you are riding. If you can make it to some of the group gatherings put on at different venues throughout the year, you'd have a blast! :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks for the welcome(s)! Much appreciated. Although I do enjoy wrenching on things to a degree, I'm hoping I'll be able to do more riding than wrenching, at least for a little while!

I am enjoying the bike so far... I'm even getting used to the goofy turn signals. I only forget to cancel about half the time now. :grin:

Finally took a pict of the bike....

IMG_3580_zpskctbaxo4.jpg

Has its share of scratches. Obviously been dropped, as both heads have scratches. Bags have some too. All the accessories came with it (set up this way by original owner) but the second owner removed the windshield and crash bars, and I don't think used the bags much. He mostly used it as a naked around town bike (he had other bikes too). After a few shorter rides, I thought I'd put the shield on to see how I like it... and repainted the crash bars and put them back on last weekend. I figured I might as well do that before I drop it. I don't mind the looks of them, so I think they'll stay on for a while.

sardineone

Hi Brent, Welcome to the forum. I'm a former Honda CB1100F owner as well in the 80's. You have a nice 'sleeper' as I call the R1100R. The first BMW I ever rode and the handling and unintentional 1st gear throttle wheelies left me impressed! Good you have a pre-scratched bike and can just concentrate on enjoying the ride!

Now my 'new to BMW oil cooled head twin riders advise. Resist adding oil if only half way down the sight glass after a short ride. The thermostat to the oil cooler can prevent all the oil draining back to the sump unless the engine is brought up to full operating temp.

Hi Brent, Welcome to the forum. I'm a former Honda CB1100F owner as well in the 80's. You have a nice 'sleeper' as I call the R1100R. The first BMW I ever rode and the handling and unintentional 1st gear throttle wheelies left me impressed! Good you have a pre-scratched bike and can just concentrate on enjoying the ride!

Now my 'new to BMW oil cooled head twin riders advise. Resist adding oil if only half way down the sight glass after a short ride. The thermostat to the oil cooler can prevent all the oil draining back to the sump unless the engine is brought up to full operating temp.

Ya, I like the riding position, and have always been partial to naked bikes. Would've jumped at the chance to get a CB1100F back, but they are like hen's teeth. Biggest change for me with the BMW is the torque and huge engine braking of the boxer... although it's been a long while, it feels like a different animal than my inline 4 CB's. But I'm diggin' it.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil level thing.... Previous owner had just done an oil change, and also just put on a new front tire the week I bought it.... so other than the quirky Neutral light that's come up (posted in Oilhead forum on that), I'm just keeping an eye on things rather than having a "to do" list. I might need to find a clip on deflector for the top of the windshield. The blast/buffeting might be too annoying to tolerate on a longer highway run (which I'm hoping to try). We'll see, maybe this will get swapped for an RT some day if I get into longer touring...