IGNORED

Shoei Neotec Review

moshe_levy

moshe_levy

Been thinking about a Modular lid? I've spent the last 9 months commuting every day in this Shoei Neotec. Tune in to see how it held up!

-MKL

Nice review Moshe, hey you should do this stuff for a living. ;):grin:

I was so tempted to buy this helmet but the cost was just above my ceiling. (no issue spending twenty plus on a new BMW though, go figure) :dopeslap:

Pat

Dave_zoom_zoom
Been thinking about a Modular lid? I've spent the last 9 months commuting every day in this Shoei Neotec. Tune in to see how it held up!

-MKL

Thanks for that great review! Now----- Can anyone tell me where I can make my best buy???

Thank You

Dave

I have the Neotec and after nearly 5 years I can tell you it holds up well. The venting on the forehead is really good...but the venting can be a little loud at speed. The top won't vent with the shield up all the way as it blocks the holes. I ride with the shield just below my nose and it works great.

I got mine at one of the international motorcycle shows from a vendor. The vendor was Dallas Honda... It was new, I checked the date, and they had a show price of $480. I don't know if they would discount that deep again.

Edited by Skywagon
Thanks for that great review! Now----- Can anyone tell me where I can make my best buy???

Thank You

Dave

I got a good deal a few months ago at The Helmet Shop. I scoured the web and couldn't find a better price. I was about to check out and a note on the page said to call and make sure I'm getting the best deal. I did and what I thought was a good deal turned into a great deal.

My biggest disappointment with the helmet was the noise level. I was expecting a much quieter ride than with my Nolan N-104 but it wasn't noticeably different and maybe even louder with all the vents open. But, with the vents open, the airflow through the helmet is WOW. particularly across the top of my head.

Another plus was the very clear optics and how well the Pinlock insert sealed up. Moshe was right on about the finish and precision mechanics of the helmet...very nicely engineered. One very minor nit for me was Shoei's placement of the face shield lift tab, located on the left lower edge. I usually lift the shield with my right hand at a stop so I have to reach across. Personally I'd rather have the tab in the center or one on each side.

I haven't rode long distance yet so all day comfort remains to be seen. I'll know soon enough though...UnRally XVI 2017.

I would love to own a modular helmet for daily commuting. but I have an Arai Signet Q shape head, and these module helmets put a lot of pressure on the front and back of my head. So no go for me, but they fit my wife great and she loves them.

Bill_Walker
I would love to own a modular helmet for daily commuting. but I have an Arai Signet Q shape head, and these module helmets put a lot of pressure on the front and back of my head. So no go for me, but they fit my wife great and she loves them.

Try on a Neotec, Randy. I have an Arai head, too, but the Neotec works for me. It's the only modular I've found that doesn't give me a forehead pressure point headache.

John in VA

I too have an Arai Signet head. I started years ago with a Signet GT and have had several Signets -- the only helmets that fit me. When it was discontinued for the not-so-long Profile I had to stay with my old Signets. Then the Signet Q came out and it worked for me. My latest is a Signet-X Gamma.

Over many years I never found a modular that fit me until by chance last year I saw a Kabuto Ibuki modular on closeout sale at my local dealer and tried one on. Yikes - it fit! Very cool inner flip-down visor. It doesn't have nearly the fit and finish of my Arais but it's great when I'm in a "modular" mood. They're hard to find now. The visor look reminds me of "Gort."

w-861376.jpg

image.jpg

Klaatu Barratus Nikto!

Dave_zoom_zoom

Thanks narcosis!

Any other lines on a great buy?

Dave

Edited by Dave_zoom_zoom
Bill_Walker

My only negative on the Neotec applies only to glasses wearers. If you wear glasses, the Pinlock insert is fairly useless to you, because you'll be needing to open the visor anyway to unfog your glasses, especially if you have the chin curtain installed. I've had this problem far more with the Neotec than with it's predecessor, the Multitec, or with my prior Arai Signet GT or Profile.

Thanks narcosis!

Any other lines on a great buy?

Dave

Great deals on motorcycle items seem to be in short supply :(

I just dropped $180+ on a SW-Motech ring and Tank Bag. Didn't seem like a good deal but I "needed" it. :grin:

My only negative on the Neotec applies only to glasses wearers. If you wear glasses, the Pinlock insert is fairly useless to you, because you'll be needing to open the visor anyway to unfog your glasses, especially if you have the chin curtain installed. I've had this problem far more with the Neotec than with it's predecessor, the Multitec, or with my prior Arai Signet GT or Profile.

I haven't had any issues with the Pinlock insert and chin curtain installed while wearing glasses and believe me, humidity/fogging is an issue here. I am using the breath guard so maybe that makes the difference.

Bill_Walker

I haven't had any issues with the Pinlock insert and chin curtain installed while wearing glasses and believe me, humidity/fogging is an issue here. I am using the breath guard so maybe that makes the difference.

I'm using the breath guard, too. It must be something about me or my glasses.

moshe_levy

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Like Bill, I have an Arai head, and the Neotec is the most comfy modular I've tried yet.

-MKL

Bill_Walker
Have to agree with you totally. The helmet is great. However for us foru eyes, the pinloc system is a PITA.

Yeah, I finally just removed it. It's one too many lenses to look through, and I can see better without it.