IGNORED

Cam Chain Tensioner Installation - Need to Release Hydraulic Pressure.

Imgnr

Hi Folks,

I feel like a bonehead :eek: but I got the new (used) tensioner in and for the life of me, cannot screw it in. Feels the the end of the tensioner should fall into a slot or something but it doesn't. About 1 1/2 inch of the tensioner sticks out and when I push it down and turn it, it's not catching. I also stuck an allen wrench into the hold to see if I could feel an opening but there doesn't seem to be one.

Note: I started the bike w/o the tensioner on (took a while to start as you can imagine with no pressure in one cylinder due to the tensioner not being where it should be). Engine spit up about a quart of oil before I realized my mistake. Don't think it should affect anything but thought I should mention it.

Thank you!

Edit: There's a check valve in the cylinder. If it's been used, there will be hydraulic pressure in there. You need to release it by using a small allen wrench and pushing into the valve.

So, problem solved. I tried to delete this issue but the system won't let me. Also, it might help someone else.

Edited by Imgnr

I just replaced the cam chain tensioner on my RT last week and experienced the same problem you mention. So, I pulled the top part out (very tricky positioning) and put it back in. It fell right in place and I was able to align the threads of the bolt head with my fingers and turn it a couple times before applying a wrench. Don't understand why it would not fit on the first attempt but no worries now.

If you bought a used one like I did, then there is still oil in the piston that needs to be bled out.

Mine was purchased new from Rubber Chicken Racing Garage. I suspect there might be a matching part on the inside of the top chamber which would mate with the piston. The top of the piston is smaller in diameter than the piston and has a flat side on it.

If you bought a used one like I did, then there is still oil in the piston that needs to be bled out.

Mine was purchased new from Rubber Chicken Racing Garage. I suspect there might be a matching part on the inside of the top chamber which would mate with the piston. The top of the piston is smaller in diameter than the piston and has a flat side on it.

Evening Roger

Nothing inside the upper cylinder chamber that mates with the piston (the piston is just a small piston within a larger piston). The idea of the small piston inside a larger upside down piston is that it holds oil in the upside down outer piston so it can't completely drain back when parked).

That trapped oil can make them a pain to install unless drained (even new ones can have some oil in them)