IGNORED

ABS motor continuation

Bikerstrat64

Bikerstrat64

Hello - My first post here - 1996 R1100RT (55K) - After a run, the ABS motor continued to run, even after the ignition was turned off. I've read that it could be the ABS relay. Any suggestions and fixes other than bring it in to a pro? I generally prefer to dig in myself. I'm making a quick fix with connectors from the neg terminal. Thanks! ~ Nash

Hello - My first post here - 1996 R1100RT (55K) - After a run, the ABS motor continued to run, even after the ignition was turned off. I've read that it could be the ABS relay. Any suggestions and fixes other than bring it in to a pro? I generally prefer to dig in myself. I'm making a quick fix with connectors from the neg terminal. Thanks! ~ Nash

Afternoon Bikerstrat64

Top of list would be a failed or contaminated ABS relay (under cover on side of ABS controller)--OR, if the ABS power relay is good then something inside the ABS controller is calling for the motor to run & triggering the relay.

There is a guy who tore down a later abs unit on the UK Adv rider forum. Not the same but maybe some useful info there if you can find it...

Afternoon farmerboy

You have a completely different type of ABS system (the OP's 1996 BMW 1100 has the old piston type ABS with an external power relay).

Edited by dirtrider