BMWSportTouring
Sign in to follow this  
vhntr1

05 R 1200 RT final drive gear lube

vhntr1

Getting ready for a long trip going to change all three fluids on my R 1200 RT. My question is for the final drive should I use the 75/90 liquid Molly or the 75 140 gear oil.

Thanks

dirtrider
Getting ready for a long trip going to change all three fluids on my R 1200 RT. My question is for the final drive should I use the 75/90 liquid Molly or the 75 140 gear oil.

Thanks

Afternoon vhntr1

The BMW service manual calls for 75w90 GL-5.

w2ge

And only use 180 ml of fluid.

vhntr1

Thanks guys!

Bruce Lyon

A product I recommend is Red Line Synthetic Oil, 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil, about $17 per quart. Go to their website, https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7 and read about it. You can put in your Zip Code and find the nearest distributor.

You want the 75W90 NS GL-5 oil, not the 75W90 GL-5; the latter is too slippery, and will mess with your synchros, making it harder to shift.

dirtrider
A product I recommend is Red Line Synthetic Oil, 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil, about $17 per quart. Go to their website, https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7 and read about it. You can put in your Zip Code and find the nearest distributor.

You want the 75W90 NS GL-5 oil, not the 75W90 GL-5; the latter is too slippery, and will mess with your synchros, making it harder to shift.

Afternoon Bruce

What synchros, the BMW 6 speed trans is a sequential shift motorcycle transmission, no synchros.