IGNORED

Header / Exhaust Question

Imgnr

Hi - As always, I did research on my problem(s) before posting in case someone had the same issues.

Re. 2004 Rockster...

I over tightened the head nuts and stripped the bolts. Afterwards, I read that it's only supposed to be finger tight.

Q. Is there a way to use a die to clean the threads? There's very little clearance. I've read that the studs tend to snap if you try to remove them so am hesitant about replacing the stud.

Q. My bike has seen multiple owners and been messed with. Are the only anchor points for the exhaust system the header bolts and the one strap that goes around the rear muffler/exhaust above the left pillion peg? For such a heavy exhaust system, I would expect more points of attachment to the frame. I'm concerned the exhaust could slip off if I hit a big bump.

Thank you in advance.

Morning Imgnr

I over tightened the head nuts and stripped the bolts. Afterwards, I read that it's only supposed to be finger tight.-- They are more than finger tight ( manifold to cylinder head torque is 21 Nm)

Q. Is there a way to use a die to clean the threads? There's very little clearance. I've read that the studs tend to snap if you try to remove them so am hesitant about replacing the stud.--Yes, there is a special thread chasing die that looks just like an 8mm nut (probably get one from you local auto parts store)

Q. My bike has seen multiple owners and been messed with. Are the only anchor points for the exhaust system the header bolts and the one strap that goes around the rear muffler/exhaust above the left pillion peg? For such a heavy exhaust system, I would expect more points of attachment to the frame. I'm concerned the exhaust could slip off if I hit a big bump.--The older BMW 1100 bikes had a 3rd attachment at the rear of catalytic converter but those broke often so BMW eliminated those on the 1150 bikes & even quit servicing them on the 1100 bikes. I haven't ever had a muffler come off if it was installed & torqued correctly.

Thread chasing nuts-click here

Edited by dirtrider