IGNORED

Clicking​ sound when gunning​engine. ABS??

greenrider

greenrider

Hi

It just started this year.

When I give the bike more throttle then normal I hear this sound which I don't know what it is.

Not sure how to explain the sound. Kind of like the sound the ABS makes when starting off but shorter quicker sound. Or kind of when clicking when you want a hourse to start.

Anybody have any ideas?

Greenrider, I cant even hear my wife let alone your bike! Good luck, there are many here that are excellent diagnostics!

Good morning Greenrider, When you post Please add more detail to your post, it helps when other readers try to help diagnose your issue.

My bet is that you possibly could have worn throttle body shafts. At idle you hear a tap,tap,tap.If that's the case contact Dan Cata and buy a rebuild kit. Pretty easy install.

But bottom line we need more info to help you with your issue.

Edited by njl4
Hi

It just started this year.

When I give the bike more throttle then normal I hear this sound which I don't know what it is.

Not sure how to explain the sound. Kind of like the sound the ABS makes when starting off but shorter quicker sound. Or kind of when clicking when you want a hourse to start.

Anybody have any ideas?

Morning greenrider

Diagnosing an engine noise is very difficult while working directly on the bike & near impossible over the internet UNLESS we get very specific details from the rider.

So give us more info on your problem--

When did the noise start?

Has it always made that noise?

Have you put fresh gasoline it the bike this year?

Did the noise start after last gasoline fill up?

Any service done to the bike just before the noise started?

Has the battery been recently replaced or went dead recently?

ANYTHING ELSE that we should know that is different this year than last year?????? (ANYTHING)

Your problem could be spark knock, or could be pre-ignition, or could be an engine inner chain noise, or could be from going lean due to an in-tank fuel pressure hose starting to split, or possibly be something serious.

The more detail that you can give us the better we can help you.

greenrider

Ok

So here are more details.Never say never but if I were betting man I would say it is not from the engine.

The sound only happens once or twice while I am accelerating.

The sound last only about a second.

It only happens when I really put the juice to her.

It is easiest to get the bike to make the sound in 3rd gear.

usually but not only between 4000 and 5000 rpm

Has never made the sound in 5th gear but I have haven't taken it up to 4000 in 5th gear

It started this year and I have put at least 5 tanks of fuel through it.

Never made this noise till this year.

I changed the all the oils this winter.

Battery hasn't been changed and it started the bike this spring no problem.

The battery was disconnected for a couple of minutes this winter.

I added some LED lights last fall but did make the sound last fall.

Any other questions let me know.

That's certainly the range where pinging normally occurs. Does it sound like there's a coffee can full of BBs rattling around down there?

any chance you can record it with your phone sitting in the tank bag or something?

Does it only happen as you are turning the grip / opening the throttle, or is it as you are accelerating, after the throttle is fully open and held there, or something else?

Does the rate at which you twist the grip matter, or just how far you have it turned?

Is there anything else which accompanies the noise, such as a stumble in the acceleration?

Does it just happen once and then it is done like the ABS or is it a repeated clicking noise?

greenrider

It happens when the engine is under high torque.

When accelerating slowly or normal riding it doesn't do it. I can take it through the gears and rev to 5000 and it will never do it if I don't push it.

So when riding 2 up it will do it sooner, because it has more torque.

The engine is running great. No vibration, no surging, lots power, no stumble.

It happens once or twice when I turn the grip all the way. And it will do it again and again.

I said it wrong previously, I had said 4000 to 5000 rpm. But when in 3rd I can make it happen shortly after 3000.

Another thing I didn't mention before, i tightened the altinator belt. I do know what it sound like if the belt is slipping.

I will have to see if I can record it. Maybe in a couple of days.

It doesn't sound like BBS rattling. The duration of the sound is too short to sound like a rattle.

It happens when the engine is under high torque.

When accelerating slowly or normal riding it doesn't do it. I can take it through the gears and rev to 5000 and it will never do it if I don't push it.

So when riding 2 up it will do it sooner, because it has more torque.

The engine is running great. No vibration, no surging, lots power, no stumble.

It happens once or twice when I turn the grip all the way. And it will do it again and again.

I said it wrong previously, I had said 4000 to 5000 rpm. But when in 3rd I can make it happen shortly after 3000.

Another thing I didn't mention before, i tightened the altinator belt. I do know what it sound like if the belt is slipping.

I will have to see if I can record it. Maybe in a couple of days.

It doesn't sound like BBS rattling. The duration of the sound is too short to sound like a rattle.

Evening greenrider

It sounds a little like spark knock but if you didn't have it last year but this year it showed up then something else going on there.

Does your bike still have the original CCP in the fuse box?

Probably wouldn't hurt to do a fuel return flow test as a leaking in-tank pressure hose could lower the fuel pressure/flow enough to make it go lean under burst engine load.

Again, without hearing the noise we are basically guessing at the noise.

Edited by dirtrider
  • 1 month later...
greenrider

Hi

I just thought I should let all you helpful people know what the fix to my problem was. That annoying chirping sound that I heard at times when the engine was under high torque.

Short answer

Battery

Long answer

Somebody had asked me if the battery was still in good condition and I had answered yes because it seemed good to me never making a problem.

2 or 3 weeks after I had started this post wanting. I started noticing the anti-lock lights wouldn't always go off after starting it in the morning. And I use the bike everyday going to work, approx 20km. But in the evening the anti-lock lights would go off. But this kept getting worse and after awhile they didn't go off at all.

Then a couple a weeks ago we were planning on 4 day trip. I remembered reading on this form that sometimes the anti-lock break lights don't go off because of a weak battery and I didn't want a weak battery on a trip. So instead of just changing the battery I got it tested at the auto parts store. Thanks to another tip I read on this form was installing two wires from the battery and have them capped off under the seat that way it can be boosted or charged easily and in this case they were able to test the battery right on the bike. I showed excellent cranking amps but there was a message the battery needs to be charged, which I didn't understand because the alternator was putting out 13.8 volts and I drive it twice a day for at least 15 mins. But I went home and put on the charger over night. And since then the anti-lock light goes off and i haven't heard the sound when the engine was under high torque.

So Thanks anyway for all your input

I don't get it. The 'remedy' does not square with the symptoms. Can anyone explain this. From your description it still sounds like 'spark knock' or 'pinking'.