IGNORED

R1100RSL Fuel Tank Size and MPG

ncstatecamp

ncstatecamp

So I just had my tank off and emptied (all but a slosh amount). Seems my fuel gauge has been taking me for a spin. From empty (well the .75 us gal I added plus the slosh .25gal) I added 5.26 gallons to full. So it seems they top out at 6ish gallons.

I had previously been filling up with about 4-4.25 gallons. I know with the lobes its not a full usable 6 gallons but I should be safe at about 5ish yeah?

MPGs city 35ish, hwy 40ish with a best of 44mpg us gal. Whats everyone else getting?

From memory, so...

23L

My mpg was usually 38-42, but I did get 50 on a long stretch where I had to stay @50mph for about 50 miles.

Well in my 1150 so far I have had an occasion to put in 26 litres so that makes 5.72UK gallons and 6.87 of your US gallons!

Shiny Side Up

I like to top it off before I really need to - say around 170 miles.

Have gone out to 200 before but I start to get nervous about getting caught dead in the water.

That said, I'm getting 40 - 45mpg depending on speed / wind / etc.

Driving around N Ga yesterday I thought about this thread.

My R1100S was about 150 miles into a tank when we left Blairsville headed S on US 19 going over the mountain at Neels Gap and Walasi-Yi to Turners Corner. We blew past all the traffic before the real good part and it was running really well. About half way up I got the call. Knew immediately. Worst part was having to wait for all the cars and pickups we just passed to go by so I could do a u-ie. Coasted all the way down the mountain to the Sunrise Grocery that just happened to have 93 oct non-ethanol.

Here's the numbers: 158 miles of mildly spirited N GA riding. 4.84 gal to fill equals 32.64 mpg. The good news is we got to do it all over again!!

170miles! that is just over half the tank capacity if the bike is being ridden sensibly.

However if you ride these things at sustained high speed (over 80mph) these really start to drink the Motion Lotion!

170miles! that is just over half the tank capacity if the bike is being ridden sensibly.

However if you ride these things at sustained high speed (over 80mph) these really start to drink the Motion Lotion!

Andy - was not sustained 80 mph, more like 60-70, "mildly spirited". Also, it was ethanol gas in the tank. I found that the ethanol gas does not do nearly as well as non-ethanol. I was surprised. It has done over 50 mpg before. Most of the time around 40 mpg.

Of course, your RSL has got a considerably smaller tank than the RT so that no doubt accounts for the range per tank that you have discussed.