IGNORED

Motorcycle Transport for a Touring Ride

BigTup

We are in California. We being 4 RT riders, and one on a V-Strom. We take 3000 to 4000 mile trips every year. Feeling like we need to try something different like having our bikes transported to Kentucky, Alabama,Tennessee, whatever, and ride back. We could ship the bikes all at once with the same carrier. Any ideas of cost, and any reliable carriers? Any Advice? The Tail of the Dragon sounds interesting.

realshelby

A bit off what you are asking, but consider trailering out to the east coast and riding. With 5 total riders/drivers a pickup truck and a borrowed open trailer with front wheel locks and proper tie downs could be driven to the East Coast in 3 days easily by switching drivers. Park up somewhere, ride all over, then drive back. I would pretty much guarantee someone on this forum will have a place to leave a truck/trailer. With cost of having bikes transported, cost of airline tickets if you fly ( don't mention carrying all your gear....), having a place to unload bikes, bringing tools, you could probably drive/tow for less and be in better control of your time.

szurszewski

As it happens, I'm the guy who suggested Haulbikes in the other thread, which is the company the poster used and liked (though I'd think any of the others suggested would work too), AND my family and I just rode the Dragon the a few days ago. It was our first time in the area and while the Dragon was interesting I wouldn't go thousands of miles (or dollars) out of my way just to ride that.

HOWEVER, there is a TON of other great riding in that area, so if you could spend a few days there before pointing toward home, or if you simply need to pick a place to have the bikes shipped to start from, that could be good one.

Since the area is such a moto destination there are many small and large moto shops and I'd think you'd have no trouble finding one willing to receive your bikes and store them until you arrive for a few bucks.

Living about 3-4 hours from that area have to agree there is some GREAT riding all over the southeast. You may want to consider using western NC as your base and taking day rides from there. There are endless roads and rides and 2 lodging places I would suggest are Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort and Oak Park Inn. The Iron Horse is truly designed by and for motorcycles and has great accommodations. They serve breakfast and dinner and you will not be disappointed. An alternative is the Oak Park Inn in Waynesville. Again very MC friendly but not as "designed for motorcycle travel" as the Iron Horse.

http://ironhorsenc.com

http://www.oakparkinn-waynesville.com

Oh and as far as motorcycle shipping goes ... I have done tours in the west for the last 6 years but have rented and used Harley Authorized rentals. They are really great and all participating dealers (and about 70% participate) get a new rental fleet every year. The only thing you need to watch for is the rates as each dealer sets his/her own rates. I have paid anywhere from $75 to $100 per day for a week plus rental. Just an alternative suggestion.

Good luck!

A bit off what you are asking, but consider trailering out to the east coast and riding. With 5 total riders/drivers a pickup truck and a borrowed open trailer with front wheel locks and proper tie downs could be driven to the East Coast in 3 days easily by switching drivers. Park up somewhere, ride all over, then drive back. I would pretty much guarantee someone on this forum will have a place to leave a truck/trailer. With cost of having bikes transported, cost of airline tickets if you fly ( don't mention carrying all your gear....), having a place to unload bikes, bringing tools, you could probably drive/tow for less and be in better control of your time.

When I rented I always shipped a Fed Ex box to the dealer who held it for me. They also stored my suitcase while I was out riding.

I drove a trailer from Florida to California, the Sierras in 3 days, solo driver, and back in 3 days.

With multiple drives a lot less, I woould think.

Spread sheet on costs to ship, costs to fly, compared to drive/trailer would be interesting.

Trailers can be resold after use.

I've "heard" some people use rental trucks, even though...

one of them with another truck hauling a rented trailer woould do 5 bikes easily.

Then there is rentals that include various BMW models and more.

:lurk:

Dennis Andress

A trailer worked for us mostly because the VW diesel got good mileage and we carried most of our food. The VW is (almost) gone now, and the F-150 is never going to touch its MPG :(

The energizer bunny once told me that it costs $100 more to ship a bike across country then it does to ride it.

Plus no mileage on bike and all the related $$/mile of a motorcycle.

FWIW, pulling an Aluma trailer w/the GT behind our '03 F150 dropped mpg by .5 mpg, barely noticeable.

I'd look into renting, probably close to shipping costs, or better (?) and you'll have airfare cost anyways, and if any moto issues, not your bike or problem.

greiffster

FWIW, pulling an Aluma trailer w/the GT behind our '03 F150 dropped mpg by .5 mpg, barely noticeable.

We pulled my RT on a single Kendon trailer behind an '05 Mountaineer and got 2-3 mpg less than after we unhitched in Denver. So a little more noticeable. YMMV, literally. :/

Plus no mileage on bike and all the related $$/mile of a motorcycle.

I'd look into renting, probably close to shipping costs, or better (?) and you'll have airfare cost anyways, and if any moto issues, not your bike or problem.

And for ME renting gave me 5-6 more days of riding or to save for a later time. It was really the time issue for me. I was not willing to blow 5+ more vacation days and gas/food/lodging costs. Renting just made a lot of sense for me. And no one does it better than Harley and with a Harley if you break down there is a dealer on every corner and they treat travelers with high priority.

But if they rent they don't get to ride home. Well, unless they do a one way rental.

Yep ... another benefit of renting! :beer: