IGNORED

2011 RT concerns

Jharpphoto

I think I am almost ready for another bike. I've found a 2011 RT at my local BMW dealer with 10k miles on it. I'm a prior owner of a 2012 RT and I didn't have any issues with it. Just curious if there are any known issues with the 2011's?

My memory is a little foggy, but I think these are a few things - easily fixed.

1) Fuel strip stops working. (n/c)

2) Right & left switch gear needs to be replaced by BMW. (n/c)

3) Fuel tank recall by BMW. (n/c)

4) Final drive is not vented like the 2012 (Not sure?? My buddy's 2011 is not here to check)

These things may have been attended to by the previous owner, something to check on. Otherwise with proper maintenance, bulletproof.

Edited by RSH

4) Final drive is not vented like the 2012 (Not sure?? My buddy's 2011 is not here to check)

These things may have been attended to by the previous owner, something to check on. Otherwise with proper maintenance, bulletproof.

Evening RSH

I don't believe the 2011 1200RT has a fuel strip.

Evening RSH

I don't believe the 2011 1200RT has a fuel strip.

My $.01

1. The 2011 doesn't have the fuel strip as per DR

2. Switch gear - can be replaced under the recall. Mine were fine at 50k miles but replaced anyway.

3.The fuel tank is O.K., it was a connection to it. A clamp should be placed over the connection which had the potential to split. The clamp would stop this potential. An easy $25 fix if you do this yourself as preventive measure .

4. No problems with the final drives, unless you have my luck as per one of the previous posters.

cheers......

Yes... now I remember. I think the last year was 2010. Guess they finally got tired of replacing them over & over.

Jharpphoto

I saw a 2011 at my local shop today with very low miles. The bike looked great and my desire level was high. Gonna talk to the wifey to see if I can get clearance.

The 2011's have a float instead of fuel strip and the final drives have a vent, fill plug, and drain plug.

Marty Hill
I saw a 2011 at my local shop today with very low miles. The bike looked great and my desire level was high. Gonna talk to the wifey to see if I can get clearance.

Is this the same bike from your first post or a different one?

Dave_in_TX

I bought a 2011 RT in May of 2012. I put another 108k miles on it before I sold it. I had to put a new clutch in it at about 106k. Only other problems were a loose cam chin tension bolt that resulted in an oil leak and an outer FD seal that needed replacement - less than $50 in parts & labor.

Excellent, thank you for your post.

Your experience is what it should be with the camhead. The engines are the best I've experienced since 1973. I'm keeping my 2011 even though I expect that my main rear drive bearing to go out in another 35k miles like the last one did, and like my 07 did at 35k.

I spoke with a fellow on a 08RT last year, he was on his 5th rear drive bearing failure. It is what it is. If my rear drive issues are abnormal so be it, but people must understand that not all failures are reported.

The camheads are the best. Lighter than the watercoolers with more storage.

For the original poster, go with the canhead. All m/c's have some issues.

oh yeah, long live the camhead.

Dave_in_TX

Your experience is what it should be with the camhead. The engines are the best I've experienced since 1973. I'm keeping my 2011 even though I expect that my main rear drive bearing to go out in another 35k miles like the last one did, and like my 07 did at 35k.

I spoke with a fellow on a 08RT last year, he was on his 5th rear drive bearing failure. It is what it is. If my rear drive issues are abnormal so be it, but people must understand that not all failures are reported.

I've had a 2007 RT and a 2011 RT with combined mileage of 250k. Both had the original final drive when I traded/sold the bike.

Camhead RT = mainly a solid citizen.

Long Live the Camhead.. x2

They are, as in the R9T and all it's descendants

Edited by DMilan
  • 1 month later...