IGNORED

Buying help request.

English teacher

English teacher

Hey, all-

I'be been out of the saddle for a few years (used to ride a ST1100) and have recently started looking for a new bike.

I found a '96 R1100RT for sale, and even though I haven't checked it out in person, it seems like a good deal: asking $4,650, 62,800 miles, garage kept, lots of recent work/maintenance done.

Anything specific I should look for/ask about when I go take a look? Every bike has its quirks/problems, so I'm deferring to the wisdom of the forum!

Thanks!

Hey, all-

I'be been out of the saddle for a few years (used to ride a ST1100) and have recently started looking for a new bike.

I found a '96 R1100RT for sale, and even though I haven't checked it out in person, it seems like a good deal: asking $4,650, 62,800 miles, garage kept, lots of recent work/maintenance done.

Anything specific I should look for/ask about when I go take a look? Every bike has its quirks/problems, so I'm deferring to the wisdom of the forum!

Afternoon English teacher

When I read "lots of recent work/maintenance done" on a bike for sale that scares the heck out of me.

If it has had all that recent work/maintenance work done then why are they selling it?

Or put another way, what did they find while doing all that work that prompted them get rid of it now?

A '96 R1100RT can be a very fine & great riding bike but can also be a never ending money pit.

Truthfully, you should take an experienced BMW 1100 bike owner with you as a lot of things on the old 1100RT's are hidden or feel funny to a non BMW rider. A regular BMW 1100RT owner can usually tell bad noise from a normal noise & tell when something just doesn't feel right.

Or look the bike over then if you like it then have it checked out by a BMW dealer.

The biggest things to look out for on the old BMW boxers are proper ABS brake function, proper HOT transmission shifting, as well as hot transmission down shifting & staying locked in all the gears during accel, decel, & float (sometimes trans issues don't show up until very hot or long rides.

Otherwise look for broken plastic, broken accessories, & broken parts (BMW parts & panels are very expensive to replace)

Added: I guess we shouldn't forget the final drive should we?-- Put the bike on the center stand, then grab the rear wheel front & rear then give it a twist & shake (front in rear out/ then rear in & front out) if it moves more than just slight bit that could be $$$$$$ signs in your future.

Then grab it top & bottom & give it another twist & shake, if it moves in that direction more than just a wee bit then again possible future $$$$$$.

Edited by dirtrider
Dennis Andress

Start with something small you can putz around on for a year or so and then resell. Get your feet wet so to speak and see if you really want to get into motorcycling enough to spend $x$x$ on all the gear and gadgets that have infested most of our garages.

Something like KLR, WeeStrom, SV650 would be a great way to get reintroduced. If it works out and you really want to get back into motorcycling then you've got some basis for a good argument. :)

I would suggest that there are frequently that vintage RT's and newer, with fewer miles that sell for a lot less.

You may want to look around some more.

First of all, welcome!

1996 was the first year for the RT and although the miles are low for 20 years old -- it is 20 years old and it's been doing a lot of sitting. 62k and 20 years might be where major maintenance starts kicking in, like clutch spline lube and such. Rubber and plastic bits start deteriorating. I'd offer $3k if all maintenance is up to date and you do all the checks that DR recommends above. Otherwise I'd keep looking for a clean one a few years younger. My 2c.

That said, I loved my 2000 1100RT so best of luck!

Shiny Side Up

I'm with the other guys.

I'd do some more looking, as well.

The price seems a little steep to me - especially when you could get an much newer year R1150RT or GS for about the same $$.

I would suggest that there are frequently that vintage RT's and newer, with fewer miles that sell for a lot less.

Agree with Bud, slowdown and look around.

A little more but newer and less used.

https://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/6104520996.html

00g0g_jnMFnkJzoQn_600x450.jpg

Even newer but some negotiating would have to take place to get you into the strike zone.

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/6102123465.html

00000_7OzE5AGLspP_600x450.jpg

The bike above appears not to have contact info but, you get the point.

BTW, welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Pat

Edited by TEWKS
Have you looked at recent posts in the Graigslist find of the Day thread?

And, if he'd post his general location we could send out our Craigslist search experts in his area. ;) Oh we're gonna get a sale soon, I can feel it! :rofl:

Pat

Shiny Side Up

Agree with Bud, slowdown and look around.

A little more but newer and less used.

https://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/6104520996.html

00g0g_jnMFnkJzoQn_600x450.jpg

Even newer but some negotiating would have to take place to get you into the strike zone.

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/6102123465.html

00000_7OzE5AGLspP_600x450.jpg

The bike above appears not to have contact info but, you get the point.

BTW, welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Pat

Look at those beauties!!

Does my heart good...

That blue 2007 with black lower cowling looks sweet. Those pipes need polishing but 07 is an especially good year for the RT.

I have a 96 RT I tried to sell on this board for 2k. No takers. Won't go into the details, but if mine did not sell for 2K, this one is WAY over priced. The saying goes that the cheapest part on a BMW is the rider. I find that to be true, including me.

I bought a 99 with 66k on it for $2450 with Ohlins, an AF-XiED, extra lids and a factory manual. And the seller had the valves done and fluids changed too.

I'd say the example bike is over-priced. Particularly if Red couldn't sell his.

English teacher

Thanks for the quick and informative responses (as well as the warm welcome to your site)!

I'm definitely taking the process slow; just wanted to get a feel for price/quirks re. the RT.

I live in Houston, by the way. Any fellow H-Town residents here? :)

aggieengineer

I grew up in 77096. Actually it was 77035 before Houston exploded in the '70s. STM church was out our kitchen window.

I'm in the Dallas area now. I'll watch the listings around this area if you like.

I have a friend selling a very nice 2008 RT for $5900 here in Phoenix. Send me a PM if you are interested.