IGNORED

Newer member

factortech

Dennis Andress

For just moving here pretty much in the dark it still kind of blows us away. Beautiful area, lot's of blue collar jobs (the shipyard employees 13,000 now.) and close to a big city. Winter does suck though, especially this year's.

But, even at 25 degrees it has it's good side

gig-harbor-1-XL.jpg

Shiny Side Up
I have thought about leaving California as this state gets more screwed up.

I lived in Los Angeles for four years and San Francisco for six. There are many things I liked about the state, but I got fed up with the high taxes/cost of living and the b.s. politics.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kathryn Hill
Hi Kathryn. Good to see another 'newer member' as a way to stay on topic! :grin:

Hahaha, well, I registered in 2009 but I rarely post. :D

Shiny Side Up
Uh oh - picture war... :lurk:

I like my view better...

P3110099_zpstrqzh5ol.jpg

Is that out of your back door Mike?

No - it's up on High Knob - about 3 miles from my house...

Out the front door...

PICT0550_zpsmbnhse0d.jpg

Out the back door

PICT0479_zps77bym7yc.jpg

25 Kawasaki ZRX1200R 2003

This should put me over 50. Sorry is I seem to be a smart ass but stupid rules drive me crazy!

Glad that made you feel better. This works, too! :grin:

860212.jpg

Sorry to bust your bubble but I am a conservative from back east and no one has ever given me anything. I put my life on the line for this country in Viet Nam, Started several business in California that employed a lot of people over the years. I have two daughters that I sent to Harvard (I payed the full $250K each (by working for my money).

Whats your claim to fame other than you like the Rain?

BTW: I am not particularly crazy about this state or the people but this is the BEST place to ride in the US.

Whatever Dennis is or has done in his life, his most significant accomplishments as a longtime member of this community have been his wonderfully sarcastic sense of humor ever on display, his many opinions and viewpoints shared over the years, and most-importantly his friendship with a very large number of people in this community!

Despite all your impressive accomplishments, you haven't achieved that last one for sure ... yet. That said, you are indeed heartily welcome to work on that achievement just the same. Hello and Welcome to the Board.

Edited by TyTass

"BMWSportTouring.com is a privately owned web site that exists to promote an on-line, on-road community specifically related to sport touring on BMW motorcycles. Through our Discussion Board, especially, we share about mechanical issues, accessories, and what it means to ride well. We also share great stories of our sport touring adventures and make plans to get together again. Welcome!"

This thread is so ironic, in so many ways.

:lurk:

John in VA
"BMWSportTouring.com is a privately owned web site that exists to promote an on-line, on-road community specifically related to sport touring on BMW motorcycles. Through our Discussion Board, especially, we share about mechanical issues, accessories, and what it means to ride well. We also share great stories of our sport touring adventures and make plans to get together again. Welcome!"

This thread is so ironic, in so many ways.

The irony is in "entitlement" -- like being entitled to be labeled a Member by the Mod without having to share much! :)

factortech

Hi Richard,

I ride almost ever weekend and belong to a number of groups in the San Francisco Bay area. A large number of our local riders work or have worked in Tech. and there is generally a healthy exchange of information when we meet. I don't spend time on Facebook or making a lot of posts but rather prefer talking with people.

To your point about the "Newer Member" The word new or newer has nothing to do with a magic number of 50 posts. This was just an easy way for this function to be automated on a web site.

The use of the word "Newer" is simply incorrect in this case and if this is incorrect what does that say for the information on the site.

BTW: I was in the Navy in Fighter Squadron VF-114 aboard the Kitty Hawk and you know how the Navy loves the Marines.

Dennis Andress

BTW: I was in the Navy in Fighter Squadron VF-114 aboard the Kitty Hawk and you know how the Navy loves the Marines.

Squid ^^

600px-Usaf.Boeing_B-52.jpg

Hi Richard,

I ride almost ever weekend and belong to a number of groups in the San Francisco Bay area. A large number of our local riders work or have worked in Tech. and there is generally a healthy exchange of information when we meet. I don't spend time on Facebook or making a lot of posts but rather prefer talking with people.

I'm an independent and generally ride alone, don't do Facebook, twitter or the like but am a member of a few BBS's

To your point about the "Newer Member" The word new or newer has nothing to do with a magic number of 50 posts. This was just an easy way for this function to be automated on a web site.

The use of the word "Newer" is simply incorrect in this case and if this is incorrect what does that say for the information on the site.

It's not incorrect with reference to how the board is set up. It is not BMW Service interval of time in service or mileage,...it's simply mileage and mileage being the participation/sharing of information

I did a year on the Sara and a year on JFK along with much time on the Gators,....you squids can love the Marines,......just don't loooove the Marines ;)

Squid ^^

You got a problem wit dat? ;):thumbsup:

greiffster

As of this morning, the forum software shows 975,439 total posts (not including this one). You're going to have to explain to me the correlation between a forum software setting and the information contained in these near million posts?

John in VA

As of this morning, the forum software shows 975,439 total posts (not including this one). You're going to have to explain to me the correlation between a forum software setting and the information contained in these near million posts?

Must be 975,439 bits of Fake News! ;)

Shiny Side Up
How about we change the word "Newer" to "Unknown"?

That's what "anonymous" is for... :Cool:

(Go Army - Beat Navy)

There's an old military expression I think is very applicable here ... Is this really the mountain you wish to die on?

The Newer Member label doesn't mean you're a newer rider, new to online forums, new to on-road communities, new to life, any more than it makes a statement about the information provided in this forum. Besides, even as you point out, it's just a setting in the software.

However, you seem to have missed, as others here have, that one of the primary purposes of this "indicator" is to inform anyone here who has been here longer whom we should take a moment to welcome to the forum. However, you've now removed that device ... so now, people will see your post count and presume you've been around a long time and know people here, and so won't ask about you.

So, imagine our surprise when we go to welcome that newer member ... you ... and there you are, furiously "b*tching like a sailor" :rofl: about a really trivial issue, measuring the length of members (get it?) and their value compared to yours.

NOTE: Before you think I need to have earned the right to say the words 'whining like a sailor' to you, I have over 24 years as a sailor.

Anyway, the point of all this is to let you know ... yes, there have been many worse starts on this forum before, as many here can attest, but you've certainly left an impression.

The good news is it doesn't have to be the last impression left either. :thumbsup:

I think I've been to over 50 BMWST sponsored "events".

El Paseo's.

BRR's

FARTS & STARTS

UN's

Cedar Keys

Tech Days

Meet and Greets (like IB Rally checkpoints)

BikeTurkeyFest

New Year's BarBeQue Rides

Panhandle Promenade

Rescued broken down bikes/riders

Led groups to/from/during events, total over 1500 miles, a bunch of times.

Maybe it should be how many events you attend, and share...

you know, every event counts as 5/10 posts?

Or drinks you buy?

Or maybe we can all just accept that some of us ride differently, and post differently.

Best wishes.

Go Army!

Interesting posts and view points in this thread.

Having been in the Navy for 33 years, the above one by Tim, is the only one I have a problem with! :grin:

I think I've been to over 50 BMWST sponsored "events".

El Paseo's.

BRR's

FARTS & STARTS

UN's

Cedar Keys

Tech Days

Meet and Greets (like IB Rally checkpoints)

BikeTurkeyFest

New Year's BarBeQue Rides

Panhandle Promenade

Rescued broken down bikes/riders

Led groups to/from/during events, total over 1500 miles, a bunch of times.

Maybe it should be how many events you attend, and share...

you know, every event counts as 5/10 posts?

Or drinks you buy?

Or maybe we can all just accept that some of us ride differently, and post differently.

Best wishes.

+1

Well said Tim. :thumbsup:

John - for 7 years you've been registered here, and just NOW this bothers you? With all due respect, with just 7 posts a year you would have been over the hump. It's clear that for whatever reason, you've not been a 'member' of the board outside of the technical sense that you registered. Since you've not been participating, it seems silly that this suddenly matters to you. Most folks if troubled by their 'status' would just begin to participate in some of the many threads here - surly someone of your experience has something beneficial to add to the community - other than telling us why the rules shouldn't apply to you. But instead of engaging in any of the conversations going on here - your only goal was to build a post count so you can sleep at night - not to actually become a MEMBER of the community. Personally, I've never found satisfaction in gaining something by illegitimate means or skirting the rules - even something so trivial as a aviator title.

My Grandfather :old: - who never scored his accomplishments or considered himself better than others :whistle: - yet when he died it was front page news - always offered me great advice.

"Don't take yourself so seriously" is something I heard often growing up. It's good advice that I learned to heed.

I invite you to become a participating member of this community. Failing that, I'm left wondering what's the point?

John - for 7 years you've been registered here, and just NOW this bothers you? With all due respect, with just 7 posts a year you would have been over the hump. It's clear that for whatever reason, you've not been a 'member' of the board outside of the technical sense that you registered. Since you've not been participating, it seems silly that this suddenly matters to you. Most folks if troubled by their 'status' would just begin to participate in some of the many threads here - surly someone of your experience has something beneficial to add to the community - other than telling us why the rules shouldn't apply to you. But instead of engaging in any of the conversations going on here - your only goal was to build a post count so you can sleep at night - not to actually become a MEMBER of the community. Personally, I've never found satisfaction in gaining something by illegitimate means or skirting the rules - even something so trivial as a aviator title.

My Grandfather :old: - who never scored his accomplishments or considered himself better than others :whistle: - yet when he died it was front page news - always offered me great advice.

"Don't take yourself so seriously" is something I heard often growing up. It's good advice that I learned to heed.

I invite you to become a participating member of this community. Failing that, I'm left wondering what's the point?

lNEg8.gif65fiHpjKxyBgc.gifDi3tA0G.gif

Shiny Side Up

Great point!!

I originally joined for technical advice because these "German machines" were completely foreign to me.

The welcome and good advice I received (along with a little "ribbing" now and then) keeps me here. It's all in good fun...

I'm just happy no one hates my guts!! :dopeslap:

Dave_zoom_zoom

Well, You just have to try a little harder. It's not all that easy to reach that status! :)

Dave

Great point!!

I originally joined for technical advice because these "German machines" were completely foreign to me.

The welcome and good advice I received (along with a little "ribbing" now and then) keeps me here. It's all in good fun...

No one??? I think you markedly underestimate how totally annoying many members consider every post you make.

Get_him.gif

Shiny Side Up

Thanks Gemtlemen!!

At least I now know where I stand!! LOL!! :thumbsup:

At least bud still loves me - but he might be jivin' too! :rofl:

Don't let them grind you down.

They just have a different way of telling you how special you are! :grin:

Bless your heart. :wave:

Shiny Side Up
but he might be jivin' too! :rofl:

Way to work some

into the thread!

Ahhhh... you noticed!! LOL!

My grandfather never finished grade school but was one of the wisest men I've ever known.

He said as people age, they either get bitter - or they get better.

Bitter takes up to much time and energy - much easier to "let it go" and move on.