IGNORED

Radion/Glove box lid replacement

Vol1

Is there a special tool or technique to remove the (2) pins that the glove box lid pivots on?

The appear to be typical of regular push pins that hold panels together but these are not cooperating. I've attempted pushing the center pin back to allow the "ears" to collapse but no luck yet.

Before risking screwing them up I thought I's ask here.

I'm replacing the left side tupperware on my 04 RT and found a really nice replacement, but want to swap the lids so my ignition key operates the lock.

This perhaps has been discussed but I've tried the search function and didn't readily come across the topic.

Nothing on Youtube that I've found either.

any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vol

While you are working with the glove box lid, see if you can determine how to remove the lock itself. Quite frequently, when listening to a station and change it, I can never get back to the original station. So, I have to pull over, cut the switch, remove the key, unlock the lid, put the key back in the switch, turn on to radio, reset radio by push button for the station I want, turn off switch, remove key, lock the lid, key back in switch, restart and back to riding. It's a PITA.

Is there a special tool or technique to remove the (2) pins that the glove box lid pivots on?

The appear to be typical of regular push pins that hold panels together but these are not cooperating. I've attempted pushing the center pin back to allow the "ears" to collapse but no luck yet.

Before risking screwing them up I thought I's ask here.

I'm replacing the left side tupperware on my 04 RT and found a really nice replacement, but want to swap the lids so my ignition key operates the lock.

This perhaps has been discussed but I've tried the search function and didn't readily come across the topic.

Nothing on Youtube that I've found either.

any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vol

Morning Vol

Do you have the keys to both door locks?

If yes then just use a stiff wire to push the pin out of the lock latch, then pull the latch arm off, then insert the key & remove the lock cylinder.

DR

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Once I found the correct size punch (5/32) drill bit to knock the pins out,...wasn't even a one beer project.10 minutes tops

Vol

Roger,

I don't have the radio option on my bike and likely would not use now it if I did. Had to close of a call when I did have a XM roady unit mounted and decided rather than groove'n down the road it would be better for me to stay focused. I still miss the tunes on long rides but...

DR' reply was right on and took no time to swap locks once I got the right size dowel to knock the pin out...piece of cake.

Vol

So, did all the RT cycles come with locking glove box?

Afternoon Roger

I don't know if ALL came with glove box locks but I can't remember seeing any without a lock.

Back when I rode the BMW 1100RT I would remove the glove box lock then rekey to take almost any key inserted. Then I would just use an old BMW key (but not for that bike) & just leave it in the lock all the time. A little grinding on my big disk sander & the key would look more like "T" than a key.

Never had anything stolen & nobody ever messed with the T key. (sure was handy)

So, did all the RT cycles come with locking glove box?

Afternoon Roger

I don't know if ALL came with glove box locks but I can't remember seeing any without a lock.

Back when I rode the BMW 1100RT I would remove the glove box lock then rekey to take almost any key inserted. Then I would just use an old BMW key (but not for that bike) & just leave it in the lock all the time. A little grinding on my big disk sander & the key would look more like "T" than a key.

Never had anything stolen & nobody ever messed with the T key. (sure was handy)

Good idea. Thanks!