IGNORED

Pulling Bluetooth audio from a BMW Navigator V GPS unit...

Tasker

So...

As part of my purchase of a new 2016 R1200GS, I also added the BMW Navigator V GPS unit (built by Garmin), mainly because I wanted to be able to use it with the bike info interface. At the time, I did not realize that there was no output jack for a 3.5mm plug for the purpose of pulling audio (music, turn-by-turn, etc.). Thank you, BMW! Being the industrious-kinda guy I am, I figured that I SHOULD be able to use a Bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm jack to pull the audio via Bluetooth and then plug the receiver into my mixer with my V1 and iPod. NOT!

When I try to do this, even though I'm using a Bluetooth receiver, an error message appears on the GPS screen that says: "An A2DP Bluetooth headset must be connected to listen to music." According to BMW, this headset is a $500+/- option, which I was not told that I needed. Maybe there is another solution or maybe the Bluetooth receiver that I tried was not the right one.

Any thoughts about this? Suggestions?

BMW never makes anything easy--or inexpensive...

TIA!

Simply use a Bluetooth intercom, such as a Sena unit (a very popular brand), pair it to your Nav V, and to your smartphone too, if you like. You can load music onto the Nav V (mp3 file format only), and use the Nav V's Media App to play it, and you'll hear it in your Sena headset. You'll also get navigation instructions in your headset this way. If you choose to load mp3 files onto the Nav V, I suggest you insert a microSD card into the Nav, and store the music there.

I listen to music occasionally on a long ride, but I do not load any files onto my Nav. I have music stored on my iPhone,, and I access it by calling up Siri on my iPhone (all I do is press the "phone" button on my Sena headset, and when Siri responds, I tell it to play -- or shuffle -- all music, or a particular Playlist. To stop, I call up Siri again, and say, "pause all music"). It works pretty well. The downside, though, is that you have to cellular acces to use Siri.

Also, if you have a smartphone (and plan to pair it to your Nav and to a Bluetooth intercom/headset), I suggest downloading the Garmin Smartlink App onto your phone. I find it quite useful, particularly for live traffic, and weather (one-time low-cost subscriptions. Weather was $5).

Mark, I do not use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet, instead using custom-molded earplugs with a 3.5mm jack. I plug the earplugs into a mixer (in my tank bag) with my V1 and iPod. If I can get this working, I do plan to use the Garmin app as you suggested. I've looked at the Sena stuff but cannot see where their application addresses this. Thoughts?

Thanks for your input. (Also saw your note on ADV--thanks!)

Tasker

So...

As part of my purchase of a new 2016 R1200GS, I also added the BMW Navigator V GPS unit (built by Garmin), mainly because I wanted to be able to use it with the bike info interface. At the time, I did not realize that there was no output jack for a 3.5mm plug for the purpose of pulling audio (music, turn-by-turn, etc.). Thank you, BMW! Being the industrious-kinda guy I am, I figured that I SHOULD be able to use a Bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm jack to pull the audio via Bluetooth and then plug the receiver into my mixer with my V1 and iPod. NOT!

When I try to do this, even though I'm using a Bluetooth receiver, an error message appears on the GPS screen that says: "An A2DP Bluetooth headset must be connected to listen to music." According to BMW, this headset is a $500+/- option, which I was not told that I needed. Maybe there is another solution or maybe the Bluetooth receiver that I tried was not the right one.

TIA!

Evening Tasker

I'm not sure I have a (known) answer for you--

Does your Bluetooth receiver support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)? If not then that might be the problem.

So...

TIA!

Evening Tasker

I'm not sure I have a (known) answer for you--

Does your Bluetooth receiver support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)? If not then that might be the problem.

According to the package and their website, it does. But the BMW headset is also A2DP-certified. What I don't know (or fully understand) is if there are other pieces to the A2DP puzzle that the receiver I tried didn't have. Based on my search, there are dozens of these things on the market.

Thanks!

Evening Tasker

You might try calling the tec help line of your receiver manufacturer to see if they can offer any help or possibly have a firmware update for your reciever.

Evening Tasker

You might try calling the tec help line of your receiver manufacturer to see if they can offer any help or possibly have a firmware update for your reciever.

I did. They were useless. I ultimately returned the receiver in search of another type/model receiver or solution. Thanks!

Mark, I do not use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet, instead using custom-molded earplugs with a 3.5mm jack. I plug the earplugs into a mixer (in my tank bag) with my V1 and iPod. If I can get this working, I do plan to use the Garmin app as you suggested. I've looked at the Sena stuff but cannot see where their application addresses this. Thoughts?

Thanks for your input. (Also saw your note on ADV--thanks!)

Tasker

I use custom-molded earplugs that plug into my Sena headset (I don't install the speakers in my helmet). Obviously, the Sena only makes sense if your audio sources are all bluetooth (though I think you can still plug in an Ipod/music player with a wire. I've never done that, and seems to be going/have gone the way of the dodo bird).

In my scenario, the Sena intercom meets the need for a headset to be connected, as that prompt you saw mentioned.

Edited by marcopolo

Tasker I have a V1, I-Pod, phone and NAV V. The V1 and I-Pod are plugged in a Sena SM10 that is paired to my Sena 20S. And my phone and NAV are also paired to my 20S. The in ear speakers (Al's) plug into the Sena.

It all works flawlessly. I keep the SM10 and I-Pod charged through my powered tank bag.

Tasker I have a V1, I-Pod, phone and NAV V. The V1 and I-Pod are plugged in a Sena SM10 that is paired to my Sena 20S. And my phone and NAV are also paired to my 20S. The in ear speakers (Al's) plug into the Sena.

It all works flawlessly. I keep the SM10 and I-Pod charged through my powered tank bag.

Question: I looked at the Sena stuff and found the 20S but there are several components with the SM10 designation--different versions of that designation. Which SM10 unit are you using? Also, I do not ride with a pillion. Do I need the SM10? And, would I be able to place the 20S in my tank bag rather than attach it to my helmet? I know that if I want to receive and place phone calls or talk to other riders, I will need to have it on my helmet with a mike but otherwise I just want to use it to pull the audio from the Nav V. I would run a 3.5mm cable from the 20S output to my audio mixer in my bag. What are your thoughts about this or am I missing something in this equation?

Thanks!

Tasker

..would I be able to place the 20S in my tank bag rather than attach it to my helmet? I know that if I want to receive and place phone calls or talk to other riders, I will need to have it on my helmet with a mike but otherwise I just want to use it to pull the audio from the Nav V. I would run a 3.5mm cable from the 20S output to my audio mixer in my bag.

Tasker

Yes, you could place the 20S unit in a tank bag with a cable to your helmet speakers but it would be fiddly to control from the bag. An alternative would be to control it with a Sena Bluetooth handle bar remote but that might be just as fiddly. https://www.sena.com/product/handlebarremote/

I have a 10C camera and a 20S for pillion and they work well with the Nav V. If only BMW's RT Bluetooth audio wasn't so crappy. iPhone Bluetooth audio is great.

Tasker - RKA is running a special on the handlebar remote if you purchase another Sena product. I would call them for details, and Richard can probably help you work out your set up as well.

707 836 7659

RKA Link

Edited by workin' them angels
steve.foote

Tasker, I just went through all this when I purchased my new GS. Simple answer, Sena 20s works fine with ear plugs. Just plug the 3.5mm jack into the Sena base on your helmet and all is gold. I also installed the speakers and mic in my helmet so I could hear gps, phone & tunes while not wearing plugs (town trips, etc.) It all works really well, and you'll be super glad to be free of cables once and for all. Ping me if you need some one-on-one help with the arrangement. It is a little daunting getting started.

there is more chat on this thread than I can intelligently follow- based on my rather small sample size of audio equipment.

I do know the Sena SMH-10 works as desired for me. NOTE: The name of this product is "SMH-10".. not SM-10.

(and I do not know if it matters but it may be confusing to guys having the "normal" audio set-up pains).

there is more chat on this thread than I can intelligently follow- based on my rather small sample size of audio equipment.

I do know the Sena SMH-10 works as desired for me. NOTE: The name of this product is "SMH-10".. not SM-10.

(and I do not know if it matters but it may be confusing to guys having the "normal" audio set-up pains).

Think he is talking about this,which is the SM10:

https://www.sena.com/product/sm10/

JR356

Robert Mayrand

Why don't keep is as simple as possible, simply get a sena 3s-w (89$ at revzilla) and drop all the v1, mixer and Ipod. Put the sena 3s-w in your helmet, linked-it to the nav V, put music in nav V if needed, you won't need anything else. It will be a lot simplier and certainly more reliable .

Robert

Why don't keep is as simple as possible, simply get a sena 3s-w (89$ at revzilla) and drop all the v1, mixer and Ipod. Put the sena 3s-w in your helmet, linked-it to the nav V, put music in nav V if needed, you won't need anything else. It will be a lot simplier and certainly more reliable .

Robert

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. I looked at that unit but it does not allow for the use of my custom-molded ear plugs.

The SENA has a clamp unit that allow you to use the speakers or a 3.5MM jack if your prefer earbuds. Here is the link and part number. My original clamp broke and I bought this was as a replacement. The SMH 10 is an older unit. They probably have a newer generation

https://www.sena.com/product/helmet-clamp-kit-for-speakers-and-earbuds/

Helmet Clamp Kit – For Speakers and Earbuds

Part Number: SMH-A0305

marcopolo
The SENA has a clamp unit that allow you to use the speakers or a 3.5MM jack if your prefer earbuds. Here is the link and part number. My original clamp broke and I bought this was as a replacement. The SMH 10 is an older unit. They probably have a newer generation

https://www.sena.com/product/helmet-clamp-kit-for-speakers-and-earbuds/

Helmet Clamp Kit – For Speakers and Earbuds

Part Number: SMH-A0305

The Sena 10S effectively replaced the older SMH-10 last year. It allows you to plug in earbuds (and no need for an optional clamp). You also don't need to install the in-helmet speakers, if you don't want to -- they're plug and play, so you can simply opt not to install them.