IGNORED

Who Lives In Bend, OR?

KTM Doug

We might be looking to make a huge life change. Going to look at Bend, OR. Any input? I'm looking for cooler weather for my wife and her MS. "Oldrider" moved to Bend several years ago. Haven't talked to him for awhile.

Any input would be appreciated. We no longer are considering CO for a move. We have pretty good weather in CA except for summer heat but it is getting way too expensive here on my retirement.

szurszewski

We lived in Portland 2007 until September, and my folks have had a vacation rental in Sunriver, which is just twenty minutes south of Bend on 97, since about 1992. So...we know a little about it but not specifics like neighborhood differences and stuff like that.

If no one on here chimes in, we do have friends who live there we could put you in touch with.

We're on the road so I don't check "new posts" multiple times I day like I do at home (yikes) - pm if we can help you out.

josh

We've visited friends there several times and love the area. They are outside of Bend in an upscale neighborhood called Brasada Ranch in Powell Butte. Was actually surprised housing is as reasonable as it is but that's changing rapidly. Several nice smaller towns in the area that offer other choices. Remember though it's high desert so you get some extreme temps occasionally. PM me if you need a contact there but will say that after living in Seattle areas many years I'd much prefer Bend. Not too much congestion and better overall climate.

You may want to check out Oregon's tax structure. Considered to be one of the worst after California.

I looked at property taxes. I looked at a house assessed at about what mine is worth, I would be looking at about 1/2 what I am paying now. Assuming I am reading their state page correctly. Also I checked that the state does not tax SS just like CA.

Was there during an MOA rally. Went micky d's for coffee. Liars club was in session. I commented on the weather which was perfect for summer. Warm dry days, cool nights for camping.

I asked if there were a lot of people moving there due to weather. Yes, they come in the spring, buy a house, love the summer and fall, then after one winter in the high desert, they move!

Exaggeration of course.

You have to love winter to live there year around. It is a high desert after all.

But I loved the town!

szurszewski

I do love the winter there - best time of the year in the high desert.

Did you ride over to the McD's in Bend or were you at the one in Redmond? (The rally Location was at the fairgrounds in Redmond most recently - the 2001 was in Redmond as well and I'm assuming the same location but I wasn't there.)

Redmond is just north of Bend - much smaller and low key with out the flash of Bend. It does have all the same outdoor stuff, is somewhat cheaper and is close enough to work and play on bend daily if you like.

I hear rumors that it looks like this up there.

i-HFvLZJP.jpg

Talk about an old pic! Great to see it again.

I live in Burns, Or which is 130 miles east of Bend. Both towns are on the dry side of the state. Bend is experiencing nearly exponential growth for the past few years. I've lived here 37 years and have watched Bend go from logging/ranching town of 30k people to total tourist town of 90K people. Housing may be challenging both from availability and affordability. It has the Cascade Mtns immediately to the west which are drop dead gorgeous. It has high desert to the east if you like open country. It has 4 real seasons complete with snow in the winter and dry hot in the summer. Until recently hasn't had much air quality problems. For those who have lived here any time, the traffic is getting bad. Your opinion may vary depending on your current/past residence. Good skools. Exceptional medical facilities.

Thanks guys. Red, looking at real estate there or nearby, we could buy a really nice new home there for about 1/2 what my CA bay area home is worth. We could move and put a ton in the bank like friends of mine are doing retiring to Klamath Falls. They bought a small house for 100k with a lake view and view of Shasta and are making it more liveable for them. They bought a nearby lot for almost nothing and plan to build then sell the little one. They will sell there home here for about 1.1 mil and invest the funds for income in retirement as it is paid for. :clap:

At our age, good medical is all I need :thumbsup:

For old timers on this board, I just talked to "Oldrider" . He and his wife are doing well. He had a little ticker work a couple years ago and is now just about recovered from two new hips. Then back on the golf course with the boys. :grin: They live in Redmond.

I do love the winter there - best time of the year in the high desert.

Did you ride over to the McD's in Bend or were you at the one in Redmond? (The rally Location was at the fairgrounds in Redmond most recently - the 2001 was in Redmond as well and I'm assuming the same location but I wasn't there.)

Redmond is just north of Bend - much smaller and low key with out the flash of Bend. It does have all the same outdoor stuff, is somewhat cheaper and is close enough to work and play on bend daily if you like.

Actually went to both. Like to check out the "Liars Club" that seems to meet at every MC D's in the whole world. Bought some pottery in Bend.

Yup. One is colder and houses cheaper :thumbsup: Bend area sounds better but lot's more traffic and people during summer. But it has a Porsche dealer. :dance:

Yup. One is colder and houses cheaper :thumbsup: Bend area sounds better but lot's more traffic and people during summer. But it has a Porsche dealer. :dance:

Good news, I can get an oil change when I visit. :wave:

Kidding aside, I hope you find a great place to move to.

As I indicated earlier Brasada Ranch in Powell Butte is a very nice gated community. Theres some very nice contemporary homes to the NW of Bend ( on NW Shevlin Park Rd) but Powell Butte, Redmond or even toward Sisters offer more for the $$$. Congestion all along the I-5 corridor has gotten ridiculous so the whole Bend area offers more IMO. Close to Crater Lake too...

If you are able to fund the house you need, I think you'll find Bend a quality place to live. Coming from CA you will not be shocked by our state income tax or our fairly high property taxes. If you are a consumer of big ticket items like autos, motorcycles, boats NO sales tax will be a real plus. You will have to put up with some backlash regarding CA residents moving to Oregon and 'changing the culture'. From the info you've given in this thread, I think you will be very happy in Bend.

Red's reply pretty much nails it. Summers are dry and moderately warm--around low 80s. Fall is gorgeous. Spring rains about 1/2 of days. Do you like winter? It lasts about 4-4 1/2 months, with one of the best ski mountains in the west: big terrain, high-speed quads, friendly, and unpretentious.

Some Coeur d'Alene friends spent 3 days visiting here and were delighted at all the gated and resort areas, especially on the west side of town. 650-800K will get you a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Income tax is high but there is no sales tax. It's an outdoor paradise: camping, rafting, canoeing, biking everywhere. This week the lycra battalions have sprouted. Give me a heads up if you come up for a look.

Thanks Bill,

We are going to look around later in the year. Even going to consider Klamath as we have a friend there that is a step up trustee should my younger spouse need help in the future. She would probably go there. At our ages we are not looking for recreation and when we finally pull the trigger I will probably have stopped dirt stuff as I am now about 72. The main goal is a cooler location for the wife and her MS and somewhere near someone that can look after the wife should she need it someday. If it were just me, I have a younger friend in Portland that may retire to Bend and I would move near him. Should my cousin in CO still be around, that is another option for us but I think we have decided that the Denver area may be more winter than we want and my guess that cousins kids would not be there to help us much. That is why I started to look in eastern OR where we will have some younger friends to maybe help us out as we age further.

And, CA's constant raising of all my taxes like property, car fees and insurance bills for living where we do, just pxxxes me off. :mad: