IGNORED

Stupid filler plug question

Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand

Is the engine oil filler plug just push in place or is it threade?. Don't see any thread on the plug, but it sure look a bit loose by just pushing it, even aligning the little tab near it's mating hole.

Robert Mayrand

Ok, I see the problem. The plug is in two parts. But it seem that mine are stuck together. So it all came out together. Any idea how to separate the two wile there out. They seem to be quite stuck?

The plug does NOT consist of two parts ... unless you consider the o-ring as part two. There's no reason to separate them unless you need to replace a damaged o-ring.

The receptacle for the plug is another matter and will fail with age. Why not view an illustrated parts breakdown to learn what you're supposed to have? Find one at http://www.realoem.com

Your best bet is all new parts as IMHO your chance of salvaging the mess you have is slim.

diag_2rb0.png

Edited by lkchris
Robert Mayrand

That is exactly what happen. I think it may have been messed up with the previous owner. I bought replacment o-rings and will see if it works. Part 5 doesn't seem to want to stay in place, and if a push it deeper to make it stay, the cap doesn't fit in anymore. I think that maybe someone might have replaced the o-ring with wrong one. First oil change on the brand new '98 r1100rt

By the way the dealer sold me some bmw transmission oil 75/90 for trans and final drive. Getting home i realised that no where on the bottle is it lable gl-5? is this the wrong oil?

Edited by Robert Mayrand

Part 5 is a tight fit and should never be able to come out just by removing the filler cap. You should not be able to notice ANY looseness with part 5. If it's coming out with the filler cap then you need to get a new part 5.

szurszewski

That is exactly what happen. I think it may have been messed up with the previous owner. I bought replacment o-rings and will see if it works. Part 5 doesn't seem to want to stay in place, and if a push it deeper to make it stay, the cap doesn't fit in anymore. I think that maybe someone might have replaced the o-ring with wrong one. First oil change on the brand new '98 r1100rt

I'm going to leave the oil question alone. You can replace the whole assembly for the filler from the outside, thought it's easier to REALLY clean the orifice if you have the head off (like for a valve adjustment), and that's what you need to do.

Part 5 has its own o-ring, part 6, and a small tab that lines up with a small slot in the head. Here's some reading material:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/orings.shtml

Basically you want to CAREFULLY pull out, after removing the plug, the filler neck assembly and either clean or replace (check to see if the tab is damaged - it's possible to turn the filler plug and turn the neck along with it breaking the tab). The cleaner it is, the less likely oil will seep; same with the o-ring on the filler plug.

I would also fettle* both o-rings carefully as the ridge from the casting process will impair their proper operation.

Good Luck!

* I discovered fettle researching this very issue some years ago - great word