IGNORED

Navigator V Question

Bodhi65

I am going from a zumo 550 to a Navigator V. In the 550, I could load GPX routes and they would show up on the unit with the name I gave the route. I pressed Where To? Chose Routes, and all my routes showed up and I could choose which one i wanted.

I just tried to load one of the GPX routes to the Navigator V and it separated the route into 3 different routes and assigned everything random names from the waypoints on the GPX file.

Can I just upload a GPX route and see it on the Navigator V with the name I gave it.Just like it looked on the 550?

I know im doing something wrong. I just want to upload all my routes, press Where To? and choose a route with the name of the GPX file.

Sorry if I am missing a simple solution and I read the manual.

Thanks,

Alan

I have a Nav V, and have no trouble creating a route on my Mac, using Basecamp, transferring it to my Nav V, and finding it on the device with exactly the same name I assigned it in Basecamp. I also use Garmin Express to update my Nav V, and its maps.

On the GPS, you should be using the Trip Planner App (select Apps on the bottom of the main screen, then select Trip Planner), and not the "Where To?" icon, to locate and load the route you transferred to the GPS.

Also, do you have a microSD card in your GPS? If you do, did you transfer your GPX file to the SD card, or to the device's internal storage? If you transferred it to the SD card, you'll have to "import" the route, when you're looking for it on your GPS (once again, you'll be using the Trip Planner App to do this).

As for having your route broken into segments, how many waypoints were in the route when you transferred it to the Nav V? There's obviously a limit on the number of waypoints, but it's pretty large (and you can have a significant number -- 125 -- of shaping points between each waypoint, so you should have no difficulty whatsoever in getting the route to go where you want it to go).

Finally, I suggest reading this article on the Nav V:

http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

Edited by marcopolo
themagicone

On this subject, does anyone have a ship date for the navigator vi? I was about the buy the v but decided to wait on the vi.

I ordered one on Friday, and it's supposed to be at the dealer on Tuesday. They had already received four, and they were all spoken for.

Edited by marcopolo
I am going from a zumo 550 to a Navigator V. In the 550, I could load GPX routes and they would show up on the unit with the name I gave the route. I pressed Where To? Chose Routes, and all my routes showed up and I could choose which one i wanted.

I just tried to load one of the GPX routes to the Navigator V and it separated the route into 3 different routes and assigned everything random names from the waypoints on the GPX file.

Can I just upload a GPX route and see it on the Navigator V with the name I gave it.Just like it looked on the 550?

know im doing something wrong. I just want to upload all my routes, press Where To? and choose a route with the name of the GPX file.

Afternoon Alan

You might just have a route with too many points-- I'm not sure on the Nav V but I think that the total number of Route Points is 250. If you exceed that (or the Nav V thinks it exceeds that) then it will automatically split the route into smaller routes & assign them each an individual a name.

Bring the questionable route up in Base Camp then double left click on the route in the L/H pane then look at the summery.

I know it seems to be a defect but the alternative that some other GPS units use is to tunicate the route & THAT removes some points, some of those points might be very important to the route following your intended path.

If it isn't a total points issue then another thing to try is to copy the route then paste it into Map Source, THEN send to your device. Map Source seems to get along better with the Nav V than Base Camp for some reason.

Or just make a shorter route with less total points then see how that loads onto you Nav V.

A route can have up to 30 waypoints/via points, including the final destination. With up to 125 shaping points allowed between those waypoints, that means you can have a very large number of points defining each route.

If you are using older routes on the newer Zumo's, the routes have a max number of waypoints before the GPS splits the route, I think it maybe 50 or less. But you can have around 125 shaping points between each waypoint. A waypoint is a spot on the route that will be "announced", the GPS will use it as a destination. While shaping points are silent and will not be announced by the GPS, as it tells you which way to turn.

Open your route in BaseCamp, Win or Mac, and open the route properties window. Then highlight every waypoint, that you do not need to have announce, and then right click and select them to be silent.

Safe the route and then transfer it to the GPS, import it and open it in the GPS. The route should have no or very few flags. Pearl like points on the route are your shaping points.

This way you can have a huge route with a very large number of shaping points to force the route onto the roads you want. You also can use your old waypoints to create the routes. You just have to make them silent, except for the ones for lunch, coffee break or special places you plan to stop at.

This also cleans up the instructions compared to the 550 or older GPS's.

and... this might seem redundant all over again, but....

If you call Garmin Tech Support during a not-so busy time of the day/week and ask for the OEM Support Group you can work with an expert on building a route.

800-800-1020

I know im doing something wrong. I just want to upload all my routes, press Where To? and choose a route with the name of the GPX file.

Thanks,

Alan

Yes, you can load your routes to your Nav V and have the name retained. However, you should note that you will NOT find your routes under the "Where To" icon! They will be found under the "Apps" from the main page, and then "Trip Planner".

One very important note! If you had done the routes in Basecamp, you MUST make sure that the preferences and in particular the "Avoidance" list are identical in both the Basecamp software and in your Nav V, otherwise you might get some surprises as to why the route that Nav V takes you is different than what you saw in Basecamp! The setting in Nav V will supersede the ones in Basecamp. For an example, if you have it set in Basecamp to create route using the "shortest route" and to avoid toll road, and in the Nav V you have it set to "winding road" and did NOT check off "toll roads" in the avoidance list, you will have issues with Nav V taking you along the route that you thought you were going.

Considering the at Garmin is willing to "enhance" the .gpx format to allow shaping points, you would think that they could include the specified route avoidances and preferences in the the file as well, and force the settings on the GPS to match. It's kind of silly that a route built in Basecamp, with the same map, with the same preferences and avoidances, does not always result in the exact same route on a Garmin GPS.

Edited by lkraus
Considering the at Garmin is willing to "enhance" the .gpx format to allow shaping points, you would think that they could include the specified route avoidances and preferences in the the file as well, and force the settings on the GPS to match. It's kind of silly that a route built in Basecamp, with the same map, with the same preferences and avoidances, does not always result in the exact same route on a Garmin GPS.

Afternoon Larry

The problem is that actual route isn't sent to the Nav V, just the points & highlights, then the Nav V builds the route internally from the furnished data.

The Nav V doesn't know what program built the route so has no idea if the avoidances & preferences are valid for it's use.

If a rider wants a route to go into a GPS without GPS induced change then a Garmin Montana will do that (reason a lot of us off roaders use a Montana or the old 60c/csx).

Personally I just use the "none" profile in Base Camp then turn off ALL avoidances-- that gives me a basic route with very few conflicting inputs. If I purposely want to turn on an avoidance then I do that on the GPS.

Personally I just use the "none" profile in Base Camp then turn off ALL avoidances-- that gives me a basic route with very few conflicting inputs. If I purposely want to turn on an avoidance then I do that on the GPS.

Good afternoon, DirtRider.

I will have to try that the next time I make a route.

This sounds like it may eliminate all the extra work I have to do now to get my ZUMO 590 to follow the routes I make in BaseCamp.

Thank you.

Good afternoon, DirtRider.

I will have to try that the next time I make a route.

This sounds like it may eliminate all the extra work I have to do now to get my ZUMO 590 to follow the routes I make in BaseCamp.

Thank you.

You can also try to use MapSource to transfer routes to your device. (copy route from Base Camp then paste into MapSource, then recalculate, then transfer to the Zumo). This can sometimes remove all or most of the routing transfer errors when sending a route to a Zumo.

Also try different route transfer settings in BaseCamp-- In Base Camp click on EDIT, then click on OPTIONS, then click on DEVICE TRANSFER (L/H side icon). Try ticking or unticking "Always match route to map on my device when transferring" -- sometimes changing that setting can help remove glitches when transferring a route.

For What it is Worth...

I have a nice Nuvi GPS I use in the car. It is very similar to the Nav V in many ways. Just guessing but very similar software minus some of the bike-related functions.

I do not know- while sitting here with my morning coffee- but I learned the hard-way that the Nuvi GPS can be set to "Fastest" or "Shortest" when you just ask the device to "Go There". (note: this is not with regard to a route- just setting a destination.)

Choosing one method or the other (Fast vs. Short) can lead to some baffling turns and routing and in-fact it can result in different paths of travel at different times of the day.

I mention this in case someone finds mysterious driving instructions that have otherwise been impossible to understand.