IGNORED

Wheel weight goo

joeb

Howdy. It's tire change time again and was wondering if anyone has a method for removing the adhesive from the old wheel weights without damaging the clear coat on the rim ? I've tried goop, goo gone, wd-40, Scotch Brite pad and acetone. Acetone works but removes the finish too. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Howdy. It's tire change time again and was wondering if anyone has a method for removing the adhesive from the old wheel weights without damaging the clear coat on the rim ? I've tried goop, goo gone, wd-40, Scotch Brite pad and acetone. Acetone works but removes the finish too. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Afternoon joeb

I haven't had any problems getting it off using WD-40. If it's really stuck then some heat then WD-40 again.

Once you get an edge to start coming loose then spray on allow the WD-40 to soak for a while, then try again.

Rider1200RT

I agree that WD ought to get the goo off. Careful with the heat gun as it can yellow the clear coat on the rim.....

I've found that WD-40 will remove the residue, but getting to the residue can be an issue. I've found that when the weights come off they usually leave behind some combination of foam, paper, plastic film. These items sometimes keep the WD from penetrating the adhesive. I use a plastic putty knife in combination with the WD. Soak, scrape, soak, scrape, etc, and you should be able get it all up pretty quickly.

Thanks guys, maybe I haven't allowed enough time for the WD to soak in. Will try the heating up idea also. Hope my follow up post doesn't start with " Anybody know how to get burnt garage off motorcycle rims ."

Thanks guys, maybe I haven't allowed enough time for the WD to soak in. Will try the heating up idea also. Hope my follow up post doesn't start with " Anybody know how to get burnt garage off motorcycle rims ."

Afternoon Joeb

Just be careful with the heat, you don't need a lot, just enough to soften the adhesive.

WD-40 is about the safest thing to use that will soften & remove those stuck on wheel weight adhesives.

You will then need to remove the WD-40 before sticking on new wheel weights.

Be very careful in using other cleaning products, especially automotive cleaners like Brake Clean or gasket remover as a lot of those products contain Methylene Chloride & Methylene Chloride is a primary component used in paint strippers (the wheel clear coat is tough but not that tough).

I should have clarified my statement about using Brake Clean to take the adhesive off the wheels. I use a small amount of the Brake Clean sprayed onto a rag and then apply it to the adhesive and rub, it does soften the adhesive and removes it. However, it make take two or three small amounts to remove it sufficiently that WD-40 will remove the remaining small amount easily. I have done this on both my painted car and motorcycle wheels over the years without damage.

WD 40

If possible, sit bike in sun for a while.

Spray, soak, wipe excess, use plastic to slide/scrape goo.

Let the 40 fish oil do its thing.

No hurry, once it is ready, it will almost slide off.

You'll get a feel for the pressure needed to not mess with the wheel.

Just peel off as much as you can then just work with Goo Gone

Patience is key and you may need to reapply

If really bad I have plastic razor blades that really have been a god sent

The BMW and Wurth weights are the worst.

You can get all the goo off then a few weeks later the brake dust and road dirt gives you these black rectangles of dirt.

I say fire !

Speaking of clear coats. I'm sure I removed a little of mine some time ago while trying to get the weight goo off. Was thinking of spraying a little on the spot. Anyone know what type of clear is used. Urethane maybe ??

I change a few tires and Goo Off soaked on a soft cloth always works for me. BUT, it's not instant. Back and forth motion, taking your time, and never scratched or damaged the paint.

RPG

Diesel fuel and kerosene have both worked well for me to dissolve adhesives, without damaging paint or finish. Both require further cleaning to remove the oiliness left behind.

NapaBavarian

Are you guys changing your own tires? I have a Hoffman 1520m that I use mostly for automotive and trailer tires, but my ranger balancer doesn't have a motorcycle attachment {yet}

Joe Frickin' Friday
Are you guys changing your own tires? I have a Hoffman 1520m that I use mostly for automotive and trailer tires, but my ranger balancer doesn't have a motorcycle attachment {yet}

Ayup; started changing my own back around 2001. Plenty of static balancers suitable for motorcycle tires out there; www.marcparnes.com has good stuff; I use one of his for my tires.

Whenever I get a new to me bike I always balance the rim without the tire on. After I do this I rarely have to put any weights on after each tire change.

Whenever I get a new to me bike I always balance the rim without the tire on. After I do this I rarely have to put any weights on after each tire change.

Yeah, this seems like a good idea. Or at least confirm the location of the heavy spot on the rim if it's close.

Yeah, this seems like a good idea. Or at least confirm the location of the heavy spot on the rim if it's close.

Afternoon Mike

Unfortunately that doesn't do much anymore as a LOT of the new motorcycle radials are not dot marked for heavy or light spots any longer.

Afternoon Mike

Unfortunately that doesn't do much anymore as a LOT of the new motorcycle radials are not dot marked for heavy or light spots any longer.

I've noticed that. I'd like to believe that tolerances are tighter and the radials are just so evenly weighted that the spots are no longer really necessary? Don't burst my bubble, DR. :/ Though, my recent go to brand still has the dots.

Pop goes the bubble.

I've noticed a large variation in tire balance. That's why balancing the wheel alone is a waste of time and weights. Why balance twice. The Michelin tires I run are not marked so might as well mount and balance both together, that way I avoid having weights at multiple spots on the rim.

Btw, I let the WD-40 soak overnight and the goo just dropped off.