IGNORED

Battery Drain

aviscomi

Bike is a 2004 R1150 RT. Brand new Interstate AGM battery. I attach an Optimate 4 battery tender when not in use. Anyway, I recently (this morning) attached an Battery Tender LCD digital voltmeter to the tender lead from battery and voltages was 13.8. 3 hours later its down to 12.6. From what I gather the only draw should be the clock...correct?

Bike is a 2004 R1150 RT. Brand new Interstate AGM battery. I attach an Optimate 4 battery tender when not in use. Anyway, I recently (this morning) attached an Battery Tender LCD digital voltmeter to the tender lead from battery and voltages was 13.8. 3 hours later its down to 12.6. From what I gather the only draw should be the clock...correct?

Morning aviscomi

Radio, Motronic, clock, etc place a constant patristic drain on the battery (none should have much effect over 3 hours though)

If your bike has a Kisan signal minder (aftermarket turn signal/running light flasher unit) those things have a BIG patristic drain. But then again over 3 hours not enough to make much difference.

At 12.6 volts after 3 hours sitting time that might be the base charged battery voltage, OR your charger didn't get it fully charged & equalized, or voltmeter might not be totally accurate.

Let it sit overnight then see what the static voltage is (if still 12.6v then that is either what your battery is, or you didn't get it fully charged, or your voltmeter is off.

You might try the same battery charge, 3 hour sit with the battery completely disconnected from the bike to see what you end up with.

Then with it disconnected use a GOOD voltmeter & see exactly what the patristic drain is. (normal 1150RT is around a 2.6 mA parasitic draw)

Edited by dirtrider

Ah...forgot that the bike had the Signal Minder installed by previous owner. No radio. I just checked again and it seems to be holding @ 12.6.

Thanks!