IGNORED

Drilling the fuel filler neck

Andrew Harmsworth

Andrew Harmsworth

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to drill the fuel filler neck as per the older 1150RT's on the new wet heads, if anyone has done it and there results with extra range? Rather annoyingly I am getting about 250 miles per tank, I would like to get to a 4 day commute between fill ups out requiring a range of 280 so I need to get about another couple of ltrs in the tank. Yes I could ride slower but where's the fun in that....

Well on the 1100 / 1150 it doesn't give you extra range because you could still wrestle that fuel in eventually! it just means getting it to (super) full is quicker and easier. Because the 1100 and 1150 had such deep filler necks it produced large air pockets above that level, so it used to take a lot of patience rocking the bike to displace the air around the filler neck.

I don't know if the new Wethead has a similar deep neck, but if it did, I would certainly try to pop a 3mm hole in there. It has made a world of difference to the ease of refueling.

I had the neck on the 1150 drilled and it made a worthwhile difference in how much you could get in it. At least without using an eyedropper to top off. You WILL learn to not fill it full then park the bike in the sun or in the garage with hot engine.

I done the same to the new RT and it doesn't make all that much difference. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.

I did this. I also removed the extension at the bottom of the neck. You need to remove the filler assembly to do this which means that the top plastic cover on the tank must also be removed on an RT.

The benefits? It is easier to fill to the top, but you don't get much of an increase in capacity. I would not fill the tank to the top if you are not going to ride some distance before parking either. Gas expands in volume as it warms in your tank and will end up in the carbon canister. I only fill completely when I am traveling and wait till I am ready to leave before getting gas.

One (not so easy) answer: Slow down. I am experimenting on my commute. Riding as I usually do, I drain the RT's tank to an indicated 10 miles left until empty within 205-215 miles, typically. For the past month I've set the cruise control at 62mph, and now top 300 miles per tank. Big difference.

-MKL

I'd agree with Terry that it is not worth drilling to fill to the top. You just don't get much extra capacity, and the times I really need that little bit are rare. If I expect gas will be scarce, I can take the time to squeeze in that last tenth or two.

Removing the restriction at the bottom of the filler tube greatly increases the speed of fueling. With it in place, air is pushed out so fast it carries gas spray with it, making a mess. Removing that restriction allows more clearance for air outflow and the gas stays in the tank.

My bike may be an anomaly, but the mileage countdown to zero does not indicate distance to empty, more like distance to "reserve". At "zero" I still have at least a gallon of fuel in the tank. I still start looking for gas at 250 miles or so, but I don't panic (anymore) when I see zero. For your own peace of mind, don't test this theory without an extra gas can on the bike.

One (not so easy) answer: Slow down. I am experimenting on my commute. Riding as I usually do, I drain the RT's tank to an indicated 10 miles left until empty within 205-215 miles, typically. For the past month I've set the cruise control at 62mph, and now top 300 miles per tank. Big difference.

-MKL

I tailgated a truck once crossing the desert. There was no other traffic and I was very worried about making it to the next gas station. My miles per gallon at least doubled while I was behind the truck.

I drilled 4 (I think, but don't remember exactly) holes in the fuel filler neck and left the extension in place. I did this because it was difficult to fill the tank full without fuel splashing out, especially when you get one of those gasoline nozzles that cannot be throttled to a slow flow. I am very pleased with this minor modification. The bike already has plenty of fuel capacity, so for me it is more about ease of fueling to the normal capacity. Every time I fuel up I am glad that I did this.

The best I've ever done is around 370 KM

until the reserve lights up. That's about 230 miles.

What I learned from this thread is I need to drill a few holes in my throttle hand :)

What I learned from this thread is I need to drill a few holes in my throttle hand :)

I have gone as much as 336 miles while riding the mountains in North Carolina. I have gone as little as 165 miles when riding I-10 West of Kerrville, Texas where the posted speed limit is 80 mph.......

There is a long way to go after that light comes on.

Maybe worth checking one day (take some spare fuel) so you know how far you have got in your pocket for a rainy day (so to speak)!

Chal De Cecco

Has anyone made this modification on the newer 2016 R or RS models?. Not sure if the filler is the same set up as the RT. The current system is a real pain during refueling as the spray back is substantial if you hurry the process. If you are unlucky enough to get a one speed delivery pump, it's no fun. I am usually first in to a fuel stop and last out.............

duckbubbles
Has anyone made this modification on the newer 2016 R or RS models?.
Did it on my RS. Put three vertical holes, 1/4 in., in the neck after removing the extension. With a cooperative nozzle, it makes topping off real easy. Just don't top off and park it!

Frank