IGNORED

1996 R1100RT Oil Change

Tracy B

Since riding season is fast approaching here in Wisconsin, I want to change the engine oil in my r1100rt that was new to me last summer.

I know this question has probably been asked already, but besides oil filter and oil, what else is needed to change the oil?

Is there a oil filter wrench that clips onto a ratchet? I've heard about a crush washer on the drain plug? Where do I get that?

Is there a oil change kit available online that includes oil filter, crush washer, filter wrench, and whatever else?

Best weight oil to use?

For oil change parts, oil filter, drain plug sealing washer, and oil filter removal tool. try Beemerboneyard.com, maxbmwmotorcyles.com, or euromotoelectrics.com. I use a 20w-50 Castrol RS V-Twin oil. I have found this oil at Autozone.

If you don't know when the rear end and transmission gear oil was changed you should consider doing so. Additional sealing washers will be required. Also, a brake system flush might be considered also. Does the bike have ABS? If not this will be a simple job.

As far as I know, at least what the seller told me, is that the rear shaft drive system was rebuilt/redone in 2015. I don't know about the transmission oil. The bike has ABS, fortunately, have not needed to test that yet.

You need to know what kind of filter is on the bike. The body on BMW filters are not the same diameter as after market filters. If you have the BMW factory filter, you need to get a good aftermarket one from NAPA or your local autozone-type store (Purolator, NAPA, Mann, or whatever you like). That way you won't need a special sized filter wrench.

Morning Tracy B]

I know this question has probably been asked already, but besides oil filter and oil, what else is needed to change the oil?--You will need a drain pan of some sort & funnel to pour the new oil in without making a mess. You might need a new oil drain plug crush washer but if yours is in good shape then you can probably clean & re-use your old one (I do about 3 oil changes on the each crush washer then replace it). If you at buying your oil filter at a BMW dealer then just get a new crush washer with the new filter.

Is there a oil filter wrench that clips onto a ratchet? I've heard about a crush washer on the drain plug? Where do I get that?-- For a new crush washer get it from a BMW dealer or just match your old one up at a local auto part store. On the oil filter?-- Not all oil filters are the same the as the flutes on the BMW filter are usually different than the ones on an automotive type filter. So you need to find a filter wrench that fits the filter that is on you bike now & filter wrench that fits the new filter that you intend to install. Or some right angle band wrenches that fit on the end of ratchet extension will work on all oil filters. You can also take your new oil filter to a local auto parts store & usually match it up to cheap filter wrench (sometimes, depends on the auto parts store)

Is there a oil change kit available online that includes oil filter, crush washer, filter wrench, and whatever else?--Yes, Beemer Boneyard should have an oil change kit.

Best weight oil to use? -- This kind of depends on the ambient temperatures in your riding area. The oil weight & additive package that BMW calls for should be in your riders manual. For your area a good 20w50 API SG or better should work just fine (note I said SG or better not SG or higher). (Castrol 20w50 4T motorcycle oil easily meets these requirements)& that is available from most of the better auto parts stores. If you intend to ride in high temperatures (above 100°f) then maybe a full synthetic like Mobil 1 V-twin in 20w50 or even a Mobil 1 in 15w50.

BMW services on your boxer are mileage, and. time related.

There are on-line schedules if you search.

Two years, may want to do the other fluids.

Not that much more in cost and time.

Same for alt belt/air filter/gas filter.

At that age, brake lines are up, and possible tank fuel lines, all as preventive and providing good baseline for years of happy miles.

Best wishes.

Eckhard Grohe

Make sure the old rubber seal from the filter comes off with the filter and doesn't stay stuck in the pocket where the filter sits. Grief can follow if it does.

Edited by Eckhard Grohe
Eckhard Grohe

ABS a mixed blessing. I went thru a stop because of the washboarding before the stop sign. Just rolled right thru. Luckily there was no other traffic. Now I slow down sooner.

I know this question has probably been asked already, but besides oil filter and oil, what else is needed to change the oil?

The best answer is ... someone in your area to help you. BMW club member, someone with BMW ownership experience. Etc. Don't be a lone wolf.

Mostly because they are easier to remember, my intervals are:

Engine oil : 5000 miles

Transmission : 10,000 miles

Final Drive : 10,000 miles

The latter two are more frequent than BMW recommends, but relatively small amounts of oil are involved, and changes @ 10,000 mile intervals should give me a heads up on any developing issues. So far (~125,000 miles) neither has been an issue. In fact, while cleaning out my garage, I found sample jars of both from 97,000 miles. What little sediment there was had settled on the bottom, and the oil itself looked brand new.