IGNORED

Sat Navagation

georgem

Went on a 700 mile with some friends. Several were using Garmin gear. Branded for their bikes. I would like to know what the folks here are using. (I was the only BMW in the group). Thanks forum gurus!

Edited by georgem
Hank R1200RT

BMW Navigator IV.

IMHO the iPhone Maps application has gotten good enough that a separate GPS is less essential. YMMV.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Nav IV, but when I need to put in an address, I double up with a cell phone that doesn't require the damnable reverse polish input protocols. Never had a HP calculator either.

• 2 months later...
Went on a 700 mile with some friends. Several were using Garmin gear. Branded for their bikes. I would like to know what the folks here are using. (I was the only BMW in the group). Thanks forum gurus!

I like my Garmin Zumo 660. However, there are many other models from Garmin that are much less expensive. Garmin models run the gamat of options; depends on what you need. I wanted a nav unit that I could connect to my PC and do very detailed route planning, save trips, modify them, etc. I also wanted text-to-speach and a couple of other capabilities. The Zumo is expensive compared to other models like the Nuvi, but it's reasonably "water-proof" which is also important to me.

You might want to visit one of the GPS sights to learn more about them to see what features interest you.

I'm currently using a zumo 590LM. Previously, I liked several apps on my Android phone, but I've had trouble maintaining reliable power on a motorcycle. I've been reading quite a bit in the advrider.com mapping & navigation forum, and it looks like that problem can now be overcome.

In my opinion, the Garmin products are reliable, but lacking in features, documentation and user-friendliness, especially considering their high prices. Their Basecamp PC route planner is a nightmare, and it is all too easy to find yourself on an unplanned route once you get on the road.

I'll be using the zumo for several more years, but I expect my next navigation device to be a smartphone or tablet.

I have a Garmin 660 and so far I do not have a lot of issues (mainly the ones Larry just mentioned). I tried several phone apps, Waze, CoPilot and one other I cannot remember. Route planning was not the easiest, then you run into the issue(s) of cell service. There is no "perfect" system, but I agree with Larry, by the time I am ready for a GPS upgrade Tablet based GPS systems will probably be just as good if not better.

Mike