IGNORED

New owner question

aviscomi

I'm a Harley guy at heart and just added a used 2004 R1150 RT 28k miles to my garage. The prior owner performed all recommended maint., has receipts.

Anyway here is my question...is it typical for the brake servo to make a noise each time the brakes are applied?

I'm a Harley guy at heart and just added a used 2004 R1150 RT 28k miles to my garage. The prior owner performed all recommended maint., has receipts.

Anyway here is my question...is it typical for the brake servo to make a noise each time the brakes are applied?

Afternoon aviscomi

Basically, YES.

With the key on the brake power servos run (wirr) when you apply either front or rear brakes.

... just added a used 2004 R1150RT...to my garage.

Welcome to the group.

Great bike, nice mileage too.

Stick around

If you can, add a little more to your profile. It is amazing how helpful that can be.

....is it typical for the brake servo to make a noise each time the brakes are applied?

Yes, like others have said here.

You know how automotive power brakes use engine vacuum on a large dipahram to get the "power" in the power brakes....?

Well, on the 1150s with the servo brakes (some call "whizzy" brakes) it has a DC motor driving a hydraulic pump to get the "power". It is that pump running that you hear.

And those brakes are going to be more powerfull than you may have ever experienced.

Well, on the 1150s with the servo brakes (some call "whizzy" brakes) it has a DC motor driving a hydraulic pump to get the "power". It is that pump running that you hear.

Morning Redman

On the 1150 there are actually 2 DC motors driving 2 hydraulic pumps. One for the front brake circuit & one for the rear brake circuit. (later 1150 bikes can shut the rear servo motor off at standstill with limited input brake pressure)

That allows the front & rear to operate independently when in ABS mode (each motor/pump supplies the make-up fluid for brake re-apply after an impending wheel lock-up pressure release). That also allows the brake system to learn front/rear braking bias & automatically adjust front/rear braking percentage to the load & braking conditions.

Thanks all. Having owned and worked on Harleys' for 20+ years this will take some getting use to. I'm actually getting ready to take ithe RT on a 1,000+ mile trip down south in the next couple weeks and want to ensure that its reliable. As I originally stated, prior owner has performed all recommended service up to the 24k interval. It has brand new tire (F/R), new brake pads, I changed the plugs and now waiting on an oil filter wrench to change oil. I just put a Sargent Low seat on her, so hopefully all that will put my mind to rest while on the ride south.

Battery, battery.

Keep a quality battery in it and use a charger such as Battery Tender brand regularly .

There is a brand new Interstate battery currently on the RT and I use a Optima 4 charger at all times..

Edited by aviscomi