IGNORED

Seats

themagicone

themagicone

So looking at getting a new seat on my '16 r1200rt. Who do you think is better between Russell day, rich customs or ?... So many options. I am leaning towards a Russell but rich would be nice but it would be a week ride to Seattle to have it custom done.

I have had Rick Mayer, Corbin, Bill Mayer, Russell, and a couple others.

Russell Day Long seats are the only ones I have been able to ride 800+ mile days on without feeling like there was a knife stuck into my tailbone.

I have spent a fortune over the years on seats and windshields. I still do on seats, but once per bike. Russell seats for me until I see a problem with quality or change in them that does not work.

themagicone

Thanks! I think I'll put my order in for a Russell seat today. Bought a werks shield yesterday. Crash bar, lights and bar backs are next on the list.

Thanks! I think I'll put my order in for a Russell seat today. Bought a werks shield yesterday.

That combination is good for back to back 800 mile days!

Ditto for me on Russell. Have tried Corbin and Mayer...but Russell works for me. I am a weekend rider. My typical Saturday is 250-275 miles....I have been known to do 500 mile roundtrip pie runs. Russell makes it ok. BMW seat...I would rather stand the whole way. The seat will make your ground reach a little further, but manageable.

You asked........

Try sitting at a gdet together on some.

RDL absolutely a big fat no for me.

Butt, that's me.

If it works (most folks) great.

If not, ouch, ouch, ouch.

YMMV

Why I'm an Airhawk fan.

Couple w/Alaskan sheepskin, turn any saddle into all day.

You asked........

Butt, that's me.

If not, ouch, ouch, ouch.

YMMV

Why I'm an Airhawk fan.

Couple w/Alaskan sheepskin, turn any saddle into all day.

Got the Airhawk.Didn't try it yet. Would you be more precise about the Alaskan sheepskin? And where did you get it from?

Go low w/the AirHawk.

Just a little, IMO.

Alaska leather

100 miles one way we usually just went w/stock GT seat (pretty comfortable compared to other BMW's.

Or added the sheepskin.

200 miles

put AirHawk under sheepskin.

Longest 2up day, 700 miles, no seat problems.

I did 950 miles in 14 hours and change, no seat problems.

When we got places for overnight, just put them in saddlebags/topcase after taking bag liners out for the night.

You asked........

Butt, that's me.

+1

I'm also not a fan of RDL seats. Just sayin'.

Here's a link to a recent discussion about seats. Might be worth a gander, even has pics of RDL and Sargent and factory. These are from a 06, your seat IS different, but I believe the design similarities are the same.

Seats

You asked........

Try sitting at a get together on some.

Why I'm an Airhawk fan.

I have written before, a Russell seat is not all that comfortable to sit on at a get together or just checking out someones bike. They feel weird in a way. Butt, they feel the same way after hundreds of miles. I have found the Mayer seats, even Sargent and some Corbin to feel luxurious when you first sit on them. They would still be the better commuting seat for instance. Butt I don't have a cast iron ass, and the Russell works better than any other for long days in the saddle.

I have tried the Airhawk and sheepskins. Most people would probably put too much air in an Airhawk or other air cushion. I found them useful, but not THE answer for high miles. Plus I don't like fooling with them on the seats.

You asked........

Try sitting at a get together on some.

Why I'm an Airhawk fan.

I have written before, a Russell seat is not all that comfortable to sit on at a get together or just checking out someones bike. They feel weird in a way. Butt, they feel the same way after hundreds of miles. I have found the Mayer seats, even Sargent and some Corbin to feel luxurious when you first sit on them. They would still be the better commuting seat for instance. Butt I don't have a cast iron ass, and the Russell works better than any other for long days in the saddle.

I have tried the Airhawk and sheepskins. Most people would probably put too much air in an Airhawk or other air cushion. I found them useful, but not THE answer for high miles. Plus I don't like fooling with them on the seats.

10-4 on all the above, no argument.

Just saying the obvious, no way my seat feel/opinion and someone else's are the same.

Perhaps close, perhaps not.

Working in a dealership and riding hundreds of bikes, new, diagnosing, and after service, the choices are many and opinions even more.

And, of course, any custom saddle was made for someone else's build, not mine, butt...

:rofl:

FWIW, have a Brooks Pro on my '71 Chrome Paramount

:thumbsup:

Go low w/the AirHawk.

Just a little, IMO.

Alaska leather

100 miles one way we usually just went w/stock GT seat (pretty comfortable compared to other BMW's.

Or added the sheepskin.

200 miles

put AirHawk under sheepskin.

Longest 2up day, 700 miles, no seat problems.

I did 950 miles in 14 hours and change, no seat problems.

When we got places for overnight, just put them in saddlebags/topcase after taking bag liners out for the night.

Thanks, Tim!

Will order the sheepskin today. Actually, have a set

of Australian sheep in my car. Will give it a try!

Hank R1200RT

Themagicone, your profile doesn't say where you live.

I have had a Corbin and did several 500-mile days with it. Many others don't like Corbin.

The secret, I think, is to buy a seat from a vendor you can visit personally for a fitting. I rode to Hollister and they made the seat for me that day. Able to do a short ride before the cover went on and have the seat trimmed in a couple of spots.

Good luck!

If you order the Alaska tell Mikaela hi. She won't recognize this name but tell her from her Texas friend from MotoGP.......

If you order the Alaska tell Mikaela hi. She won't recognize this name but tell her from her Texas friend from MotoGP.......

Just did order! To late. :lurk:

themagicone

Well I put the order in for the day long. Going to get it with the backrest. Not sure how that will look on my '16 but I really think my back will like it.

Hoping I can match the blue/grey color of the bike.

Put the order in for guards, bar backs and lights.

I've got, so far, 90k on a Corbin off the shelf low-seat. It works for me for those 10+ hour day trips.

Well I put the order in for the day long. Going to get it with the backrest. Not sure how that will look on my '16 but I really think my back will like it.

Hoping I can match the blue/grey color of the bike.

Put the order in for guards, bar backs and lights.

Not to put a damper on your backrest enthusiam, if that is something you are used to having. If you have NOT had one, let me offer what I have learned. First they are a PITA when mounting and dismounting the bike. Think about where they are in relation to where your leg has to go over....while they do lay down that is another task. Easy enough when getting on, less so when getting off. Comfort? While they are adjustable they still have a limited range of fore/aft especially. Actually don't impede on a passenger in my experience. Where I really do NOT like them is on longer rides. They feel good at first, but the actual size of the backrest pad isn't all that large and tends to dig into me after a very few hours. Makes my back sore. Others may not have this issue, but I could not fix it on my RDL's with backrests. I much prefer my dry bags packed just right to lean back against.

While I have seen some two tone or colored option seat covers look good, I have seen more that simply look out of place and clash with the bike. It isn't all that expensive to have the cover replaced, I actually done that on a used Russell that was grey when I purchased it.

Excellent point.

I have long legs, can flatfoot over a GSA on centerstand, and found backrests for rider a royal pain to deal with.

Passenger, of course, different story as they need something, either on the topcase, flip up (old style Corbin's) or stand alone (like the Pirate's Lair Stealth that is ez to remove) and, they get on/off in different manner.

themagicone

Humm. May be I'll forgo the backrest. Just got my production date of 6-26. There goes 2 weeks of prime riding time :(. But the factory seat is way too hard for my bumm.

2 weeks? I don't mean to alarm you ner nuthin', but shipping back and forth will eat 2 weeks or close to it. My experience with them is that your production date isn't the date they start on it, but when they want it on the shelf to be ready for when they get to it. Might get done that week, or maybe the next week. It is a very difficult time for an RT owner, cannot even sit on the bike and go "Vrooom Vrooom"!

Yep, prime riding season without a backup motorcycle, can you say Bat$hit Crazy! :grin: Might try a request from the Sargent or Corbin owners out there to borrow or rent their stock seat while you wait.

Pat

Like! :thumbsup:

Or, you could take things to the extreme and lose the entire motorcycle completely. :revit:

June2010_Mason.jpg

Oh wait a minute, tried that once. I'll take the sore arse. :rofl:

Pat