IGNORED

oil in the drive shaft boot

Marko

I have bought 2002 R1150R, the bike seemed neglected and I was told it would do with service. In the drive shaft boot I found some oil. Decided to give it a good clean and keep an eye on it. After 100-150 miles I found drops of oil in the swing-arm and boot. the bike has done only 23k. Not sure if I should have it looked at or not. Should the seals be replaced? Grateful for any advise. can I ride the bike with this leak?

Edited by Marko
I found drops of oil in the swing-arm and drive shaft boot of my 2002 r1150r. the bike has done only 23k. Not sure if I should have it looked at or not. Should the seals be replaced? Grateful for any advise. can I ride the bike with this leak?

Afternoon Marko

A little gear oil in that boot is pretty normal, as long as it isn't excessive then nothing to worry about.

It also depends on what end the oil is coming from. If from the final drive pinion seal end

then even a new seal might not totally stop it. If from the transmission rear seal then it should probably be addressed if it gets worse.

If from the pinion seal then sometimes changing from synthetic gear oil to conventional gear oil will stop the seepage.

Thank you so much! Removed the boot and looked up the swing arm, oil is dripping from the arm onto the casing and then accumulates in the boot; can this indicate which seal is leaking? could not see any further up the arm for any traces of oil near the transmission's end.

Thank you so much! Removed the boot and looked up the swing arm, oil is dripping from the arm onto the casing and then accumulates in the boot; can this indicate which seal is leaking? could not see any further up the arm for any traces of oil near the transmission's end.

Afternoon Marko

"oil is dripping from the arm onto the casing"--Can you explain this in much more detail?

I thought it would be better if I take a pic :-) (attached)

After I did 200 miles on the bike I noticed oil dripping from where I am pointing with the pen, then I noticed a few drops below and the boot seemed moist a bit with oil. When I got the bike there was maybe 20-30 mls in the drive shaft boot, do not think the boot had been checked for years though :-)

6677.jpg.2f93fbfacf290c6c861b34223b62af2b.jpg

I thought it would be better if I take a pic :-) (attached)

After I did 200 miles on the bike I noticed oil dripping from where I am pointing with the pen, then I noticed a few drops below and the boot seemed moist a bit with oil. When I got the bike there was maybe 20-30 mls in the drive shaft boot, do not think the boot had been checked for years though :-)

Afternoon Marko

OK, that helps a little but we still don't know IF the oil is coming from way up front & running down & out the back (from rear of trans), or only from the rear (final drive pinion seal).

Thank you, Is there any way of checking without taking the whole thing apart? or maybe checking oil levels in both the drive and trans might be best option?

Thank you, Is there any way of checking without taking the whole thing apart? or maybe checking oil levels in both the drive and trans might be best option?

Afternoon Marko

There are some ways but none real easy.

With the very little leakage that you have then you probably can't use the oil level in the gear boxes either.

If you can shine a light up into the swing arm then use a small mirror you m-i-g-h-t be able to see if the oil is coming from the front of the tube (front part of the tube way up in there by the trans will be wet)

They usually seep from the final drive pinion seal so that is the likely place.

Last question: If this is oil leaking from the drive through the pinion seal (As I understand this is most likely)do I need to top up oil in the drive shaft now and again? there is very little oil going in the drive and with the leak on top of it I am a bit worried.

Last question: If this is oil leaking from the drive through the pinion seal (As I understand this is most likely)do I need to top up oil in the drive shaft now and again? there is very little oil going in the drive and with the leak on top of it I am a bit worried.

Afternoon Marko

It wouldn't hurt to check it every 1000 miles or so until you get an idea but I doubt it will be down much.

Those things seep at times & look like a lot of oil leaking but they don't seem to lose much oil.

Sometimes, you can use a dentist style mirror and a really good torch (flashlight) and get a view up into the swing arm to see if that oil has migrated down from the transmission end. However, it is very rare. As has been said, it is normally from the input seal of the Final Drive unit and is nothing to worry about. But, it would be prudent to check the level to see if it has dropped significantly. Mind you,if it had, you would most likely have had a real gush of oil from the bellows seal at the FD end of the swing arm.

I bought a cheap endoscope from China that plugs into my iPhone and although the image is not HD it is great for viewing those hard to get to places. It was very cheap...