IGNORED

Gas quick disconnects & ABS Brake Flush

Bob Boro

Hi! Last year I had those old plastic quick disconnects. While pulling them apart they leaked gas all over my garage floor. I installed the metal ones. Now I'd like to remove my gas tank for a brake flush. I am "gun shy" about pulling my disconnects apart for fear of spilling a gal of gas on the floor. Do the metal ones work really well???

I heard that BMW recommends doing an ABS brake flush using the large center bleed valve only. No longer do they recommend bleeding all of them. Is this still true and does it do an adequate job of flushing???

Thanks!!

Hi! Last year I had those old plastic quick disconnects. While pulling them apart they leaked gas all over my garage floor. I installed the metal ones. Now I'd like to remove my gas tank for a brake flush. I am "gun shy" about pulling my disconnects apart for fear of spilling a gal of gas on the floor. Do the metal ones work really well???

I heard that BMW recommends doing an ABS brake flush using the large center bleed valve only. No longer do they recommend bleeding all of them. Is this still true and does it do an adequate job of flushing???

Afternoon Bob

If you installed quality metal quick disconnects then they should self-seal just fine (if they leak then just clamp the fuel line off in front of quick disconnect)

As to flushing the ABS controller-- Yes, there is BMW service bulletin on just using the control circuit end bleeders (BUT!) that was basically for BMW dealers to be able to lower the labor cost of a brake service slightly. (most didn't)

It only takes a minute or two longer to bleed all the control circuit bleeders so if doing the job at home there is just no reason to not do all the bleeders in sequence.

Thanks! I'll use a vice grip with padding to clamp the hose off if needed.

But the disconnect should shut off the flow once pulled apart, right?

Thanks! I'll use a vice grip with padding to clamp the hose off if needed.

But the disconnect should shut off the flow once pulled apart, right?

Afternoon Bob

Yes__

Be sure to hold the quick disconnect trigger ALL THE WAY DOWN until the quick disconnect is completely apart then do the same until it is all the way together.

Those quick disconnects can seep/leak at a later time if the trigger isn't held all the way in at removal or insertion as a partially held in trigger can nick the internal "O" rings.

Edited by dirtrider

Just undid mine for the first time this weekend. They dribble just a little, but not enough to be concerned about. Maybe like half a teaspoon.

Scott

Edited by avu3

Update info: Hope this is helpful to anyone. The new metal quick disconnects worked great. No gas leaks or spills! Much better than the plastic original ones.

I flushed the ABS unit using the #3 bleed valve only. When I went to check the condition of the fluid from the #1 valve, it was dirty. So I flushed all the bleed valves to completely flush the unit. I would not recommend only flushing using the #3 valve according to BMW. It does save time but results in an incomplete flush.