IGNORED

Oil light on even though case is full of oil...

Corcrum

My 99 R1100S' oil light is coming on even though it has plenty of oil. It started doing this about a month ago, So yesterday I changed the oil and made sure the case is full (even overfilled it a little) but oil light still comes on.

It doesn't stay on the entire time, but comes and goes and flickers, and then sometimes stain on solid for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

My 99 R1100S' oil light is coming on even though it has plenty of oil. It started doing this about a month ago, So yesterday I changed the oil and made sure the case is full (even overfilled it a little) but oil light still comes on.

It doesn't stay on the entire time, but comes and goes and flickers, and then sometimes stays on solid for a while.

Morning John

Correct answer is to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge then ACCURATELY check you engines oil pressure on a hot engine. Your issue might just be a bad OPS switch or a loose shorting wire, OR, you might have serious internal engine issues. (a hot engine oil pressure test will tell the story)

Or, just replace the OPS (Oil Pressure Switch) then see if your flickering oil light goes away.

In a lot of cases the problem is just a bad, or failing, Oil Pressure Switch. Not at all difficult to replace the Oil Pressure Switch & they are not very expensive.

1100%20oil%20pressure%20switch_zps1jnt4obs.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

Agree with Dirtrider that it is more than likely the oil pressure switch since the light flickers on and off. If you decide to get one and have a few days to wait try EuroMotoelectics.com for the part. Will probably be considerably less.

The oil switch is a membrane that closes a circuit once oil pressure activates it. These sometimes fail, and you can easily get a replacement from some car, that does just the same thing.

Dan.

It doesn't stay on the entire time, but comes and goes and flickers, and then sometimes stain on solid for a while.

I presume you know this, but the way your question is phrased warrants mentioning it: the oil light is an indicator of oil pressure, not oil level.