IGNORED

Is it neccesary?

Shane J.

That carbon vapor filter over the rear wheel, has anyone done away with it? I can't imagine that on a 10 year old bike it is still doing anything useful. Am I wrong?

I have an 04 R1100S ABS and this canister was removed years ago. Just remember to plug where the rubber lines go.

That carbon vapor filter over the rear wheel, has anyone done away with it? I can't imagine that on a 10 year old bike it is still doing anything useful. Am I wrong?

Afternoon Shane J.

A number of BMW owners have removed that Evap Canister. It is against federal & state laws to remove it so if you choose to do so your bike will be violation of the federal emission laws. (a big fine if they ever choose to enforce it)

Just keep in mind that Evap Can is also the fuel tank vent so if you simply plug it off your fuel tank will collapse (suck in) & possibly damage the fuel level sensor. You can plug off the engine vacuum side but need to continue the fuel tank vent hose on to exit to under the bike so you have an active tank vent.

Thanks. That is what I suspected. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use a Pcv valve there. On my wife's bike last summer while up on the Cassiar Hwy the bracket holding here broke and the canister rubbed on the tire for an unknown number of miles. Later it turned out that there were some tiny pinholes I couldn't patch. Would need air every day but got her home. I would feel better eliminating that on both our bikes.

Thanks. That is what I suspected. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use a Pcv valve there. On my wife's bike last summer while up on the Cassiar Hwy the bracket holding here broke and the canister rubbed on the tire for an unknown number of miles. Later it turned out that there were some tiny pinholes I couldn't patch. Would need air every day but got her home. I would feel better eliminating that on both our bikes.

Morning Shane

Do not use any type of crankcase ventilation valve. Just plug off the vacuum line coming from the L/H side purge valve, then find the tank vent line that goes rearward from the fuel tank & hook that hose to the hose running down behind the R/H riders foot peg.

Then cut the bottom of the hose running to behind the foot peg to have a 45° angle on the bottom (to prevent road water from being sucked into the fuel tank as the tank level draws down)

Thanks for the heads up D.R., excellent advice as per your usual.

Edited by Shane J.
  • 1 month later...

I finally got around to this on my bike and found that a pov had already plugged the line going to the left side. So the canister was just a boat anchor strapped to the side of the bike. It's off now.