IGNORED

California Heat Gauntlet (heated) Gloves

moshe_levy

Hello All-

Season Two of Moto Mouth Moshe begins today! It's currently 19 degrees outside here in NJ, so to celebrate those Polar Bears who keep the shiny side up in the freezing cold, Episode #27 focuses on California Heat's new Gauntlet heated gloves. Tune in to see if they held up under the arctic abuse!

-MKL

Dave_zoom_zoom

Thanks moshe

Your evaluation is duly noted for my consideration for replacement gloves. when the time arrives. :)

Dave

I bought a pair after your review in MCN. I am disappointed. My old Warm n Safe gloves are warmer. I hope to return the gloves.

Thanks all.

Knobby they're powered off the 12VDC system in the bike, as usual. These don't have an on-board battery.

BDF which old W&S gloves did you have? I tested a pair objectively back in 2010 and we can overlay the graphs to see how they compare. I like objective data with stuff like this.

-MKL

I like your review. However, how can you give the gloves a 5 out of 5 for durability when you have only used them once? Seems like this rating has to be given over some time period and usage. Or am I missing what durability is?

I'm not clear on what you mean by "used them once." I used them through this entire winter, and then I compared what they look like vs. other gloves I used over past winters. No fraying, no wear, nothing came loose or broke, no issues whatsoever. That's why I gave them a 5. Other brands in the past haven't fared so well, including Gerbing's. (My G5 Microwire gloves were faded purplish / white from UV after only one season, for example.)

I do not give durability scores on anything I don't abuse for at least a few months, and remember I commute almost 110 miles per day...

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

Sorry, I diddn't hear you say in your review that you used them over a winter. I will listen to it again. Thanks for the reply.

Just listened to it twice again. I never heard you say they were used over a winter. All you stated was that there had been some arctic blasts that gave you a chance to to test them. I must be missing something in the translation. :dopeslap:

Have a good one.

Edited by KTM Doug

No problemo. Unless otherwise explicitly noted in the piece, I have never and will never write a report or make a video about a product I haven't personally used and abused for awhile.

In the case of this winter, it's been pretty mild. 30s, mostly. The arctic blasts took things into the teens and single digits, which is where this stuff has to shine to get a good review. That said I do use it nearly every day until spring comes. Typically (for me) I'm using the heated gloves below 35F, on a moderate setting. These are fairly well insulated so not much power required. Once things dip below freezing, though, that's when I'm really paying attention to performance.

I mentioned the "arctic blasts" to make the viewers aware that I tested them in really, really cold conditions - as cold as it typically gets over here in NJ, at least. I didn't want them to think it was just the typical 30s only.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy
Shaolin Master Sergeant

I saw their display at the NYC motorcycle show. Gloves felt very warm. Fairly supple feel compared to my old bulky Gerbings. Yes, my Gerbings are reliable but the heat didn't feel as good as the CH gloves.

I ran (to my knowledge) the largest heated gear comparo published in MCN, about 6 years ago. To be perfectly honest, the differences between brands were quite small - and by differences I mean heat warm up time and max surface temp achieved. I recorded it objectively, not by feel, so there's no opinion involved in that statement. The main differences in everyday functionality came via the controllers, which made all the difference in how easy the gear is to use.

Gerbing's is fine and the Microwire upgrades were certainly welcome vs. the old thick wire setup, but I wasn't too impressed with how my G3 contest winners held up over time. They were faded within a season, so now my Gerbin gloves are a comical Barney purple color.

-MKL

Not sure of the model Moshe but they are about 2 years old and had the sewing joints facing out versus in.This is all subjective. I have very cold sensitive hands and the CH seemed less warm to my hands.

Oh, OK. No heat probes on that test in my records. My last W&S with probes was from 2010, rebranded First Gear. That was a generation earlier than the Ultimate II.

-MKL