IGNORED

valve Adjustment Chart

Rob L

Recently I made some shim adjustments to the valve train om my 2014RT. I have used Jim VonBaden's chart in the past, but find it confusing. The intake and exhaust valves are reversed (intake bottom, exhaust on top) in his chart. The front and rear valves can also get confused. I designed a new chart that is more intuitive and also includes a place to record the before and after readings and shim sizes.

BMW%20Valve%20Adjustment%20Chart.jpg

The intake valves are at the top where they belong. The front valves are on the left for the left cylinder and on the right for the right cylinder. I find this easier to use. Maybe someone else will find it useful as well. ;)

Thanks Rob for sharing, I'll use this in the future

Jay

Ditto. I saved a copy for future reference.

Edited by Green RT

I just finished using this chart and decided to add the BMW recommended clearances to the chart for easier reference. Here is the updated version.

BMW%20Valve%20Adjustment%20Chart_2.jpg

On a related note, I don't suppose there's any way to see or tell the thickness of a shim without removing it is there? I'm coming up on 24K miles and I'm pretty sure valves will need to be adjusted this time.

My bike is at 27000 and I needed to replace 3 shims. The valves closed up tolerances to the lower limit.

Check your valve clearances first and record them. Remove the cams and record the shim size at each valve. Use a stick magnet to remove the shims. You will need to use a micrometer, preferably metric, to measure each shim and record it. Put everything back together then order any shims that you require. Then you get to do the job a second time when you have the correct shims.

I bought a shim "kit" so that I would no longer need to order each shim as needed. I got mine on EBay for $35 and it has 69 shims in 23 different sizes. The shims are 8.90mm in diameter and range from about 1.80mm to 2.30mm in thickness.

On "another related note" :P The valve cover gaskets may be reused. I am not sure how many times :S They are only available in sets. You cannot buy just the inner gasket that fits around the spark plug hole. The covers are also different. That means that each cylinder uses a different gasket set. They are over $69 per set :mad: I hope at some point someone like Beemer Bone Yard comes up with an alternative (aftermarket) set of gaskets or at least the inner gasket as a separate item. :thumbsup:

BMW shims are .02 increments. The shims I'm seeing available from Amazon, Ebay (admit I didn't look very deep) are .04mm increment. The BMW spec is within .07mm, yes .04mm should work but I'd like to hear from more knowable folks then myself.

Jay

In my experience with shim/cam bucket valves, as long as the measured clearance is within the factory spec there is no reason to change it. Meaning if the measured clearance is at the "low" end of the service manual but not below, then changing it at that service to put it within spec may be a waste of time. Seems once they have a few miles on them, they just don't change. If the BMW manual gives a spec and it measures to that spec, then BMW means it will be safe/good to go until the next scheduled service.

I had 2 exhaust valves at .34mm. I used a shim that was .04mm smaller and now both valves are at .38mm, in the middle of the standard spec. The bike has 27000 miles on it and the valves tightened up since my last check at 17000 miles. The shim kit is in .04mm increments. Having the shims saved me from waiting for an order from BMW and needing to remove the cams a second time.

BTW the last time I checked at 2 different BMW dealers neither had the shims I needed in stock. They use a kit similar to what I purchased to service the customer's bikes. BMW is charging $7.06 per shim for OEM parts.

Shim kits are available on Ebay and Amazon, probably elsewhere. Look for 8.90mm shims ranging from 1.80mm-2.30mm thickness.

All the kits I see are for KTM and they are 1.72 to 2.60 and made by hot cams.

Is there another brand to look for?

TIA

All the kits I see are for KTM and they are 1.72 to 2.60 and made by hot cams.

Is there another brand to look for?

TIA

I got the same results, more expensive than $35 also, which is why I asked about a link. Even a broader search outside Amazon, EBay, Beemer Boneyard, didn't give me success.

On Ebay, I typed in "8.9mm shim kit". Results HERE

The first one is under $45 and seems to have all you would ever need. Plenty of choices but the Wiseco would be the one I ordered.

terryofperry

There was a Camhead Valve Shim calculator on Advrider but it seems to no longer be there. Works really well, plug the numbers in and it calculates the shim size as well as gives the BMW part number. I have a copy and use it when I do maintenance. Simple Excel spreadsheet. I was changing the min/max values to match the chart posted. The calculations seem to work but I have not verified part numbers for the Wethead since I have a Camhead. Someone who is more familiar with Excel could see.

shim.jpg

Just an FYI.

Terry

Again those shims are 1.72 to 2.60 thickness and that is my question. Those do not seem to be the thickness discussed.

Not like we cant search Fleabay, just want the right thickness thanks for the help.

Again those shims are 1.72 to 2.60 thickness and that is my question. Those do not seem to be the thickness discussed.

Not like we cant search Fleabay, just want the right thickness thanks for the help.

Like Jay mentioned, these kits are never model specific. The thicknesses discussed are actually the increments between sizes. The kit I mentioned has a wider range than you might ever need, but it also has plenty of sizes in the range you most likely would need. These shims are generic, meaning several brands may use the same diameter and even thickness range. At $45 it is still cheaper than buying the "refill" kits as some owners do. Nice to know you have every size you will need. Note that you can and dealer techs will also move shims around. What might be to tight in one valve may be exactly what it needed in another valve. The absolute cheapest way to do this is to measure each valve and note the shim thickness. Then figure out if you can move the shims from one to another valve and order just the sizes you need via a refill kit. Or get a dealer to swap with you. Since pulling cams is a fairly involved job, I want the exact size shims on hand so I do it ONE time only.

Thank you.

I went to a tech session and watched a LT have a valve check and adjust.

And swapping shims was shown and discussed in length.

The other thing is once you need to replace one you have all the others size, so when and if they go out of spec you know what shim size you need because you have them charted.

Again thank you for explaining.

Amazon is fine to return, Fleabay not so much.