IGNORED

Some People

I was on a power boat forum where a member said they were looking for a C-Dory 22 like ours.

I haven't listed it anywhere yet.

I contacted the "buyer" about the boat, gave him photos, list of what was included. He responds that it's not worth my asking price. I then ask him to tell me what he thinks it is worth. His reply? I'm not ready to buy so I can't say.

I guess he was just virtually dock strolling in case something caught his attention? :facepalm:

Beginning to think he wants a representative from Nigeria to send me a bank draft and pay the representative the "extra" included in the draft. :rofl:

He was probably just fishing in case you might have been willing to give it away for little to nothing. :/

I virtual dock stroll all the time. :computer:

I haven't had that experience, but in selling items online (Craigslist, Facebook, etc.), I'd say that about only one out of every 10 buyers seems to be truly interested. I get a lot of "What's your best price?", "Will you take $XX", or even "I'll take it" responses, only never to hear from the purported buyer again after I reply.

Exactly why I decided last year to trade or buy vehicles at a dealer-- Yeah it costs more but it is not worth the hassle anymore.

szurszewski
I haven't had that experience, but in selling items online (Craigslist, Facebook, etc.), I'd say that about only one out of every 10 buyers seems to be truly interested. I get a lot of "What's your best price?", "Will you take $XX", or even "I'll take it" responses, only never to hear from the purported buyer again after I reply.

My least favorite craiglist thing, and there are a bunch of annoying ones, is when someone starts the conversation with, what will you take for it? I always reply with the price that's in the ad, and they seem put off by that. I don't even really mind when people start by offering way less - at least they're countering against me instead of trying to get me to counter myself!

My least favorite craiglist thing, and there are a bunch of annoying ones, is when someone starts the conversation with, what will you take for it? I always reply with the price that's in the ad, and they seem put off by that. I don't even really mind when people start by offering way less - at least they're countering against me instead of trying to get me to counter myself!

I always put in my craigslist ad that it is the absolute lowest price offered. When someone shoots me an email with a lower offer, I counter with a higher than advertised price by the same amount that they lowered my price. Item is $500, you offer me $400, I counter with $600 ;)

The first one to offer a price is at a disadvantage. If you offer your "lowest price" then they want to negotiate down.

Well you mentioned your asking price.

The negations haven't begun.

Rarely are motorcycles or boats sold for asking.

Though I did pay asking for my new rig because the price was more than fair.

szurszewski
Well you mentioned your asking price.

The negations haven't begun.

Rarely are motorcycles or boats sold for asking.

Though I did pay asking for my new rig because the price was more than fair.

I think the negotiation has begun, and that it's their turn... but I guess they disagree. Also, I like to think I price everything I sell at a more than fair price - again, cl seems to disagree. (The last two things I sold on cl went for exactly $100 less each than asking, and I think that was mostly so they could feel like they were being good hagglers :) ).

My stock response to "What's the lowest you'll take?" is "What's the most you'll pay?"

This is golden - I'll be using that have I ever again anything to sell. ;)

... that was mostly so they could feel like they were being good hagglers :)

I think you hit the nail on the head!

So I recently heard from a friend that, "the best two days of your life are when you purchase a boat and the day you sell the boat." Is that true?

(Not being a boater, just curious)

Nancy and I have owned 16 sailboats, one motor sailor and one power cruiser.

I've never been sad when we sold a boat, but then again I can't say I was glad either. When it was time to move on that's what we did.

Kind of like motorcycles. Bought some, sold some, have one in the garage and one to pick up next month.

It's all good.

• 4 weeks later...
Missouri Bob

I've had a 1970 Honda CT90 (Trail 90) on C/L for a week or two. Most of the responses have been scams. I'm starting to re-assess the value of C/L for selling things.

Bob

I just sold a car. An inop car as a project car, or for parts, for $500. It is worth more than that. I sold it cheap because I just wanted to make it go away.

I am very clear in my CL ad what is wrong with it, include some pictures, and state $500 firm.

To me, $500 firm means, you're either going to give me $500 for it, or you're going to walk away.

Responder: "Mmm, what do you want for it?"

Me: "Did you read the ad? $500."

Responder: "Mmm, I'm taking a risk. Give me your best price."

Me: "Did you read the ad? $500."

Responder: "I'm standing here with some cash in my pocket, so, give me your best price."

Me: "We're done. Bye."

The next responder kicked the tires, looked under the hood, handed me $500 and towed it away.

I just sold a 2011 BMW 328 car last month. KBB's value estimator placed it around $14,200 based on its equipment, condition and mileage.

I decided to price it based on the rarity of its equipment, options and classy color combination. (In the 3 years I owned it I'd never seen a color combo like it.) Checking Cars.com it was one of only 3 similarly equipped 2011 (the last year of its generation) cars in the entire USA and mine had the lowest mileage of the 3 and was the only color combo. I was not in a hurry to sell and believed there was a unique buyer out there (as I was when I travelled 3 states away to buy it myself) so I priced it at $18,500 on Cars.com and Craigslist.

It took about a month but I found a local buyer at full price through Craigslist. Sometimes patience is rewarded.

It is hit and miss for sure.

Now about that $500 car.

I sold a pickup years ago for $800. They buyer asked what my lowest price was. I said $800, he said sold. Everyone asks for a lower price.

There is a motorcycle in S. IL that has been advertised since last summer at a FIRM price. He is still trying to sell it (maybe) since he hasn't lowered the price.

Interesting thread.

Several years ago, I started out asking $120,000, for a respected name, well-equipped, well-maintained 40ft. production fiberglass sailboat. It was costing a fair chunk of change to just keep it in a slip. Three years later, I sold it for $65,000.

When I sold my Kawasaki Nomad 1500, I was asking $5k, 'cause it had almost new tires, and a documented history of upgrades. Seven months later, I only wanted it out of my garage, and took a $3500 offer. My only conclusion was you'll never get rich selling off your toys.

Edited by SoCalBmr

As the OP. I'm glad to say that a gentleman from Alaska is the new owner and it sold at asking price.