IGNORED

The Little Things

Medic Mike

For the first time since I started riding (seven years ago) I have a bike, and the ability to make it a little more mine. After scoring a killer deal on a used Russell from Sonor (BTW my tail bone thanks you very much) just ordered my highly coveted Darla lights and Corbin pillion seat. My list of add ons will never get too small, but it is nice to just have a few things here and there just to make life more comfortable, safer and enjoyable. Maybe now my daughters will want to join me on longer trips since the Stock pillion will be relegated to the closet.

I just hope the Darla installation is as simple as I have heard.

Mike

You're off to a great start, Mike! Of course, as you mention - it's never ending. I had (and still have...somewhere) a 'acquisition' list of 'Farkles' I wanted for my bike. As I was getting back into riding after years off, I also needed gear. The gear came first, but like you, I was able to pick up some used add on's (and gear). Once I acquired all the items on my list - strangely, the quest didn't end! :dopeslap:

Things can always be REFINED and REVISED of course, so it's on going - just like a nice long, windy road. Oh ya . . . Wait till you get to START and start talking to other riders and looking at what they've done - pretty sure you'll revise your list again! :lurk:

Good morning Mike.

To install the Darla's all you need is the bike specific wiring harness with the different options that the company offers.

I got a used set from a friend and just called Clearwater and bought the brackets for my bike and the matching harness. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

These lights are worth the upgrade.

I just bought a Bill Mayer saddle for my new bike that is still in MI.

Made for my weight and height and less than 1/2 price of new.

Also scored a BigMak tank bag as well.

Not to start a whole thing on accessories, but on my RT, some of the best money for my taste and height I've spent is the correct size windscreen from Natonal Cycle, the V-Stream, and a Bluetooth headset for my helmet to listen to my playlist of music from my phone. (Yes, and use the GPS feature)

For ease of operation I prefer the Sena SMH10 but for better sound quality, the Scala G9 or G9X wins but the controls are more complicated.

The V-Stream is so much better for peaceful riding that when the local office of CHP received their first R1200RT-P's back in 2008ish, the State approved the purchase of them for rider comfort and safety.

On my 97 RT, the best bang by far were seat jacks!

I had forgotten all about those. I put them on my 99 RT as well.

Bernie:

The Darla's I bought new from Clear Water with all the appropriate brackets (or so I hope). I can place a breathing tube into someone throat at 80mph, start IV's on the move, read an EKG like it was a book, yet when it comes to mechanical things....let's just say my skills lack greatly.

Thanks everyone and Dave, will see you in about two months. Hopefully my I have not set the bike on fire due to poor wiring on my part.

Mike

Yes, depending on the riders height, the seat jack.

Oh and after owning my '99 for 12 years, I finally bought a slip on shift lever extension as my old ankle isn't as flexible as it used to be.

I deserve a kick in the pants for not buying one years ago.

Thanks everyone and Dave, will see you in about two months. Hopefully my I have not set the bike on fire due to poor wiring on my part.

Mike

I'm sure you've got this! Clearwaters have more functional options than most, so I imagine there a few more creative 'sutures' required in the initial setup. From what I've heard, the results are worth the extra effort. Plenty of folks here to advise if you get a bleeder . . :wave:

Looking forward to learning about your install and more importantly, your impressions. :lurk:

Well, the install went well. Only three phone calls lasting a total of 35 minutes (on a 90 minutes install). Skip was very pleasant, professional and was able to describe things so my 15 year old could understand it. The lights turn off, they turn off and they get really really bright. The only confusion part left is the one Torx screw/bolt left that I have no clue where it came from. Rode the bike into work, so nothing critical and or vital is missing that one.

Will not know until I get some darkness to ride in.

On a differing note, I am starting my "Farkle' budget and I have been pondering a GPS unit. I am kind of "Old School" and use a paper map with written directions most of the time. I have been looking at the Zumo 595 and 395 mainly due to the TPMS feature. For those of you more modern souls, have you seen any worth and or value with these TMPS systems?

Yes, the TBS system from the Zumo 595 has saved my bacon at least once.

I ran over a metal object and could immediately see the rear tire loose air pressure.

But if all you need is TBS, there are way cheaper setups then a Zumo 595.

Tire pressure monitors are definitely a good idea. I once road halfway across Nevada before realizing that a tire was very soft. It took awhile before it sank in that the squirrel-y feeling coming from the rear wheel was not the grooved pavement but something far more serious. When I checked it, it was down to about 10 pounds and had shredded rubber hanging off the sidewalls from running hot and flexing. Fortunately, the tire held pressure long enough for me to slowly limp into Salt Lake City and mount a replacement.

Thanks everyone, I am sold on getting a TPMS, SO wish BMW would retrofit it on my bike. It was an option that the previous owner did not have installed. This, Now or Never aspect of this confuses me. I would gladly go in and have it installed.

I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $600-$1020900 GPS unit with TPMS attached when I can get a Zumo 660 for $300.

Mike

I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $600-$1020900 GPS unit with TPMS attached when I can get a Zumo 660 for $300.

I had a Zumo 660, the 590/595 *is* an worthwhile improvement IMO. Better screen, software works much better with Basecamp, other little features (e.g. Curvy Roads option).

Go to the GPS City link I posted above. You can compare multiple Garmin models and see if the feature set vs price matches your needs, altho I don't think they still carry the 660....

Regarding TPMS,

I sold 8-10 of the system offered by Big Bike Parts with great success.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=13-315U&GroupGuid=16

They updated monitors with fiddely "anti-theft" set screw collars that are a huffer and puffer to get down and remove to add air to the tire.

In all the previous sets, I never had anyone get hit by band of roving TPMS sensor thieves.

The system is external and works very well, very simple to set the parameters for the higher than standard pressures a lot of use use .

Edited by Tri750

As far as gps goes I love my Nav V

They can be had for under $600 slightly used and in my opinion offers a much better easier to read display ESPECIALLY in bright sun.

From a pure functionality perspective you can't go wrong with any models noted.

For me TPMS is a nice to have but has never been a must have for me.

Just spotted this

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-navigator-v-5-garmin-gps.1209104/

Edited by RTinNC

I read that with TPMS systems you want to use nitrogen instead of a regular air pump as the regular will add moisture causing the tpms to rust and go bad. Is that true?

derivation to the thread>

Oh and Mike - you are welcome that seat was a God send for me. Almost as much as my new Russell.

Edited by Sonor

Z Man- Yes, yes it was.

Another member is here is hooking me up with an old TPMS he is no longer using. Probably going to pull the trigger on a 660LM to get me through till I can afford a 595 or newer version.

My Yukon is an '05 with 96k miles, still working fine on the original monitors on air, not nitrogen.

Not even a dead battery.

I read that with TPMS systems you want to use nitrogen instead of a regular air pump as the regular will add moisture causing the tpms to rust and go bad. Is that true?

Oh and Mike - you are welcome that seat was a God send for me. Almost as much as my new Russell.

I'd guess that someone selling nitrogen started this. I've had TPMS systems in at least a half dozen vehicles, don't fill with nitrogen, and have never experienced corrosion of the sensors, nor have I been told this or seen it in any of my owner's manuals.

I'd guess that someone selling nitrogen started this. I've had TPMS systems in at least a half dozen vehicles, don't fill with nitrogen, and have never experienced corrosion of the sensors, nor have I been told this or seen it in any of my owner's manuals.

Well, there is this.

air.jpg

just saying...

And don't forget that all N2 in the tires reduces unsprung weight improving suspension performance :Wink:

So then, He2 would be even better :grin:

That 21% is significant when you're trying to achieve tire pressure and temperature to within a pound of pressure in very adverse conditions. 747 Tire. Formula 1 Car. Even the race cars I work on (Miata, rx7) where we want 36lbs, not 35 or 37.

On the street where you see temperature variations of 50deg over the course of a day and where you're not adjusting for every few degrees of air/surface temp (or even checking the tires but every week or so), its really not practical. Add to that not keeping a Nitrogen cylinder around, and the danger of a cylinder falling over and having the valve knocked off and becoming a torpedo...

Best case is simply regularly checking and maintaining your tires. Most people's tires I throw a gauge on are way off. If you can't bother to maintain them, doesn't matter whether you use Nitrogen, ambient air, Helium, Argon or something else...

OK, I am just a simple Paramedic all this chemistry is making my head hurt. TEWKS, can you pass me the Aspirin.

OK, I am just a simple Paramedic all this chemistry is making my head hurt. TEWKS, can you pass me the Aspirin.

EMT Basic here that puts water on the Red Stuff every now and again. Sorry Mike, no help with chemistry. But but, I did deliver a baby not that long ago! Successfully I might add. :Yes::thumbsup:

Pat

EMT Basic here that puts water on the Red Stuff every now and again. Sorry Mike, no help with chemistry. But but, I did deliver a baby not that long ago! Successfully I might add. :Yes::thumbsup:

Pat

Wow! Pat, amazing!

Wow! Pat, amazing!

Thanks Marty, yes it was! There is a whole nother part to this story that almost made it the call of my career. Placement after is all I can say.

Pat

Lone_RT_rider
And don't forget that all N2 in the tires reduces unsprung weight improving suspension performance :Wink:

So then, He2 would be even better :grin:

This one goes to 11?

That 21% is significant when you're trying to achieve tire pressure and temperature to within a pound of pressure in very adverse conditions. 747 Tire. Formula 1 Car. Even the race cars I work on (Miata, rx7) where we want 36lbs, not 35 or 37.

On the street where you see temperature variations of 50deg over the course of a day and where you're not adjusting for every few degrees of air/surface temp (or even checking the tires but every week or so), its really not practical. Add to that not keeping a Nitrogen cylinder around, and the danger of a cylinder falling over and having the valve knocked off and becoming a torpedo...

Best case is simply regularly checking and maintaining your tires. Most people's tires I throw a gauge on are way off. If you can't bother to maintain them, doesn't matter whether you use Nitrogen, ambient air, Helium, Argon or something else...

^^^^^^^^

Word

Edited by Bud

Well, I finally got to use the Darla's for an extended period of time. WOW! I had them at 50% while riding some good back roads of Johnston County, NC. Even at 50% I was able to see much further down the road than I ever could. Then I hit the brights.....yep, nothing was going surprise from the front of the vehicle. I am going to have to tweak the angles I have them at, but that is it. I have heard so many of you talk about how great these lights are, we no I have seen and I truly believe.

I may have to add some Erica's down the road so I can see a wider berth of light, but that is down the road.

Mike - thanks for reporting back. I'll be interested in your ongoing refinement of beam placement.

*Generally*, led lights can be very bright and intense, but struggle to place a beam down the road a distance. Most of us have experienced that with led flashlights - they sure are bright, but often suffer from an inability to focus a beam across the back yard the way a conventional flashlight can.

LED beam advancement has now brought us led car headlights in a growing percentage of models - so the ability of led's to project down the road has come along way.

How would your rate these lights as far as their ability to illuminate way down the road - the way a good high beam would or large set of aux lights. Or put another way, how easy is it to 'out run' them?

Dave:

I was not able to outrun them, at speeds I would feel comfortable taking on a back road. I was going 60-65mph and the beam (when on high) WAY outpaced my RT's high beam. Plus, unlike the RT's headlight, the Darla's did have a more "open" spread in height and width, though I was not able to see ditch to ditch.

When I was not running on High's, the 50% beam also outpaced the headlight and illuminated the the area immediately in front of my front tire up to and past the headlight. I am horrible judge of distance, thus why I am tying to avoid using distances.

I can say with complete certainty that the Darla's are an incredible upgrade in my night time lighting, visibility and safety.

I hope this answered your question Dave.

Tewks:

Have never delivered a baby in the back of the rig...and I am OK with that. Most of my career highlights would violate most of the decency clauses of the forums :D .

Edited by Medic Mike
Tewks:

Have never delivered a baby in the back of the rig...and I am OK with that.

Nope, no rig. It was pretty much one of these! :grin:

6-catch__1227138750_0566.jpg

Pat